FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Superstitions

Superstitions

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How superstitious are you,do you believe them or think it's aload of bs?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *usietranslutTV/TS  over a year ago

carlow

Ask the Mayo gang!!

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

I'm not superstitious at all but some superstitions are based on common sense. Not walking under a ladder, for example, is a very sensible idea.

By *uckypuppy007Woman  over a year ago

dublin

"Ask the Mayo gang!!"

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"How superstitious are you,do you believe them or think it's aload of bs?"

Yeah, id be a bit of a dope like that, walk around the ladder, and for some reason, everytime I leave the house, this magpie flys by, on its own of course,, loading the sorrow up for me, as if I didn't have enough of it to contend with here.

Very superstitious here

"How superstitious are you,do you believe them or think it's aload of bs?

Yeah, id be a bit of a dope like that, walk around the ladder, and for some reason, everytime I leave the house, this magpie flys by, on its own of course,, loading the sorrow up for me, as if I didn't have enough of it to contend with here. "

I'm very superstitious just had a magpie reapeatedly hitting its beak off my window and jumping against it,have never seen one do that

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

Yeah, id be a bit of a dope like that, walk around the ladder, and for some reason, everytime I leave the house, this magpie flys by, on its own of course,, loading the sorrow up for me, as if I didn't have enough of it to contend with here.

I'm very superstitious just had a magpie reapeatedly hitting its beak off my window and jumping against it,have never seen one do that "

Oh yea i sent you a mail but couldn't find a pigeon

I'm very superstitious just had a magpie reapeatedly hitting its beak off my window and jumping against it,have never seen one do that "

Jaysuz will ya send him over to my one

I'm very superstitious just had a magpie reapeatedly hitting its beak off my window and jumping against it,have never seen one do that

Oh yea i sent you a mail but couldn't find a pigeon "

Oh that's was what was in his mouth

haha, that sounds like a stalker

Jaysuz will ya send him over to my one "

If I'm still alive, according to myth it's not looking good

One for sorrow

Two for joy

Three for a girl

Four for a boy

Five for silver

Six for gold

Seven for a secret never to be told

By *yhrk69Man  over a year ago

clare

Under ladders..not good when ur a painter..lol

clare

N stevie wonder just came on the radio.very superstitious..oooh spooky.

"N stevie wonder just came on the radio.very superstitious..oooh spooky."

You're worse then me

Yeah, id be a bit of a dope like that, walk around the ladder, and for some reason, everytime I leave the house, this magpie flys by, on its own of course,, loading the sorrow up for me, as if I didn't have enough of it to contend with here. "

A magpie in flight is as good as two in sight

clare

A magpie in flight is as good as two in sight"

do u salute a magpie...

I'm not superstitious but I love superstitions. I've picked up ones from all over due to working abroad.

These ones got from my Belfast born grandmother

Don't cross her on the stairs

Hand her a knife

Or put new shoes on the table

If you've left her house and forgotten something, and immediately returned to get it. You'd to bless yourself with the holy water from the little dish thingy beside the front door.

You also had to leave her house from the same door you came in. So if I was out the back field and came in for something to eat, I couldn't leave through the front door I'd to go out the back and down the side lane if I wanted to go out and play on the street.

One I've picked up from all over.

In parts of Eastern Europe they have the same superstition about returning to your home if you'd forgotten something but instead of blessing yourself you had to look in a mirror and smile.

Carrying an empty bucket in Russia is also supposedly the worst luck ever, or even seeing someone with carrying an empty bucket.

Cheersing with water

Walking backwards (teaches the devil your path)

Opening and closing a scissors with out cutting anything, even worse if you leave them open

But the best ones I've heard are the ones I picked up from my time at sea, sailors are a seriously superstitious bunch.

It's bad luck on a boat to;

Whistle onboard as it calls the wind

Step on board a vessel with your left foot

Have a woman in board, unless she is naked (that's why on the old sailing boats you see a naked bust on the bowsprit

To bring Flowers on board, as they will be used in your funeral wreath

Rabbits are bad luck, as they'd eat through the hull

I've heard the don't put new shoes on the table, don't hand someone a knive and bless yourself going out the door ones. A few others were don't burn hair in the fire it's a sign of a Death, if a black cat runs across your path spit at it ,a pregnant girl should never go in a graveyard and don't ever look out the window at night cause you'd see the Banshee

A magpie in flight is as good as two in sightdo u salute a magpie..."

You do good morning /afternoon /evening Mr magpie and salute. Only if it's one on their own

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

A magpie in flight is as good as two in sightdo u salute a magpie...

You do good morning /afternoon /evening Mr magpie and salute. Only if it's one on their own "

It works best with a shotgun!

By *orguyMan  over a year ago

Tuam

"Ask the Mayo gang!!"

That's more of an excuse than a superstition

You do good morning /afternoon /evening Mr magpie and salute. Only if it's one on their own

It works best with a shotgun! "

Ohhhh seven years bad look for you

It works best with a shotgun!

Ohhhh seven years bad luck for you "

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

I'm not superstitious but when I used to shoot target rifle competitions I always wore the exact same thing every time but that was to cut out variations

» Add a new message to this topic