FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Homeless

Homeless

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Morning all. I'm not one for serious threads on this site. But as another person has been found dead in a tent, bringing the death total to 3 in 3 days, thought I'd put this up.

There's a campaign called #mynameis people need to get involved before this gets further out of control. They could use the help.

Also, ICHH need volunteers.

I help when I can. Bigger numbers are needed now. No one deserves to die on the street. Protests are been organised, would be great if people could attend. No details on this yet though.

Have a nice day everyone.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

It's tragic and so sad. So many people are homeless in this country and very little/nothing is being done by the ones in power. It's a disgrace.

Good post op

"It's tragic and so sad. So many people are homeless in this country and very little/nothing is being done by the ones in power. It's a disgrace.

Good post op "

Just a little update. The real problem here lies in the fact that there is around 80,000 in arrears, and the vultures are circling. The number will increase dramatically if something is not done. Plus people can't afford rent as it is, that's going to worsen. They say 10000 will be on the streets in November, my worry is how many will there be next November. Everyone needs to come together on this, regardless of their politics. There are 3000 kids homeless already.

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

Its not even that cold yet ..wait for winter

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Morning all. I'm not one for serious threads on this site. But as another person has been found dead in a tent, bringing the death total to 3 in 3 days, thought I'd put this up.

There's a campaign called #mynameis people need to get involved before this gets further out of control. They could use the help.

Also, ICHH need volunteers.

I help when I can. Bigger numbers are needed now. No one deserves to die on the street. Protests are been organised, would be great if people could attend. No details on this yet though.

Have a nice day everyone."

Im involved with the Simon Community, and to see this chaos on our streets night after night is totally heartbreaking. As of last Tuesday night there was not one emergency homeless bed to be had for the 130 people that could be seen lying, sleeping and surviving on our streets, tip of the iceberg in my opinion and many others, working on the ground.The people that we generally dont see, are those that have experienced domestic abuse, relationship breakdowns, loss of income, mortgage arrears etc etc, we are all familiar with the drug addicts, alcoholics, and criminals and as such can easily stereotype this cohort as the face of homelessness. Giving a couple of euro may help these people survive in ways they choose to, not always productive, I would urge people to contact their TDs and demand solutions for our people who surviving like wild animals.

Shocking how many are homeless but do some these people not have family or friends that will put them up surely some them have family and friends to help them or am i only one who wonders this because I know if any my friends or family were left homeless I wouldn't be letting them sleep on the streets

"Shocking how many are homeless but do some these people not have family or friends that will put them up surely some them have family and friends to help them or am i only one who wonders this because I know if any my friends or family were left homeless I wouldn't be letting them sleep on the streets "

I have met people who have worked all their life, provided for their family, very descent people. And because of circumstances, have been stripped of everything, but try their utmost to hold onto some sense of pride and dignity, the hurdles people have to climb to get out of homelessness can seem insurmountable, and fair play to you for having this humanity, but ask yourself, how long would you be prepared to put a roof over someone's head, even a loved one. Because as you know this problem is not going away anytime soon, and everyone experiencing this has their own story to tell.

There's 8000 different stories. And whether someone has been bad in life or worked all their life, no one deserves to die on the street. My thread is only in hope of getting even one more helper and supporter. Every person that helps is a big difference.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

Not only does no one deserve to die on the streets no one deserves to be forced to live on the streets. It's not just an Irish problem...its global.

The concentration of power in the hands of ever smaller numbers of people and corporates automation of jobs etc is only going to make this worse.

The measure of any government and its first duty is to protect its people. They fail dismally.

Perhaps if those who make the laws were forced to live on the streets themselves or live on benefits or struggle through the labyrint_ine systems they create before being allowed to exercise power over others things may change...but don't hold your breath waiting.

We each can only do so much but something simple buy that homeless person a drink a meal sit and talk with them if only for a few minutes... it doesn't cost much and it may be the only kindness they experience today...

By *rs Pink PantherWoman  over a year ago

The Darkest Side

Very sad situation OP and it's definitely something I'd like to help where I can up North... speaking from experience too many greedy landlords,stinking greedy estate agents taking ridiculous fees to process applications that some people never stand a chance of passing anyway,no pets no kids, yes no kids can you believe I've saw this advertised,no this no that makes me furious...high rents shortage of houses and demand is the demise of this country, predators taking full advantage of this sorry affair.... another problem is revenge evictions where hopefully the law will come in in Northern Ireland/Ireland to stop these being carried out and a law to stop these fees being charged! No-one should ever have to suffer homelessness and it's not just the typical stereotypes "alcoholics" and "down and outs" it can happen to anyone and it's discraceful, I feel the single males are the most vulnerable as they are not "eligible" for a house I have seen the same applied to couple's with no children!I would take time and help anyone where I can not having a place to call home is the fundamental part of our being take this away and where's the hope for anyone...

"Very sad situation OP and it's definitely something I'd like to help where I can up North... speaking from experience too many greedy landlords,stinking greedy estate agents taking ridiculous fees to process applications that some people never stand a chance of passing anyway,no pets no kids, yes no kids can you believe I've saw this advertised,no this no that makes me furious...high rents shortage of houses and demand is the demise of this country, predators taking full advantage of this sorry affair.... another problem is revenge evictions where hopefully the law will come in in Northern Ireland/Ireland to stop these being carried out and a law to stop these fees being charged! No-one should ever have to suffer homelessness and it's not just the typical stereotypes "alcoholics" and "down and outs" it can happen to anyone and it's discraceful, I feel the single males are the most vulnerable as they are not "eligible" for a house I have seen the same applied to couple's with no children!I would take time and help anyone where I can not having a place to call home is the fundamental part of our being take this away and where's the hope for anyone... "

Even the rooms been charged at 1000 quid are disgusting. The viral one of the bed on top of the wardrobe. Dreadful. Not too aware of the northern problem if im honest, and sorry to say, have been focusrd on the republics issue.

By *andytownMan  over a year ago

Gods Own Country

InsideOut is a little charity a friend started that trys to help the homeless in our community from both sides of the border . Its a basic clothing company where you purchase a beanie and actually pay for 2 but recieve 1, the other going to a homeless person where they can chat and find out about the person when they hand over the garment.

Helping to build up a picture of the circumstances of the individual and go onto further help in any small way they can ... its quirky but i like the concept of it and the way it works as a starter point for contact .

"InsideOut is a little charity a friend started that trys to help the homeless in our community from both sides of the border . Its a basic clothing company where you purchase a beanie and actually pay for 2 but recieve 1, the other going to a homeless person where they can chat and find out about the person when they hand over the garment.

Helping to build up a picture of the circumstances of the individual and go onto further help in any small way they can ... its quirky but i like the concept of it and the way it works as a starter point for contact ."

By *adame BWoman  over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

"InsideOut is a little charity a friend started that trys to help the homeless in our community from both sides of the border . Its a basic clothing company where you purchase a beanie and actually pay for 2 but recieve 1, the other going to a homeless person where they can chat and find out about the person when they hand over the garment.

Helping to build up a picture of the circumstances of the individual and go onto further help in any small way they can ... its quirky but i like the concept of it and the way it works as a starter point for contact ."

Brilliant it's tiny steps that make a difference as anyone can make that step of empowerment for both sides.

Disgraceful that it has come to this and still lip service as opposed to action! Community development is in everyone's hands and best interest.

Helping to build up a picture of the circumstances of the individual and go onto further help in any small way they can ... its quirky but i like the concept of it and the way it works as a starter point for contact .

Brilliant it's tiny steps that make a difference as anyone can make that step of empowerment for both sides.

Disgraceful that it has come to this and still lip service as opposed to action! Community development is in everyone's hands and best interest. "

Start by pressuring for community banks

By *adame BWoman  over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

Disgraceful that it has come to this and still lip service as opposed to action! Community development is in everyone's hands and best interest.

Start by pressuring for community banks "

By *ustin-SiderMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"Very sad situation OP and it's definitely something I'd like to help where I can up North... speaking from experience too many greedy landlords,stinking greedy estate agents taking ridiculous fees to process applications that some people never stand a chance of passing anyway,no pets no kids, yes no kids can you believe I've saw this advertised,no this no that makes me furious...high rents shortage of houses and demand is the demise of this country, predators taking full advantage of this sorry affair.... another problem is revenge evictions where hopefully the law will come in in Northern Ireland/Ireland to stop these being carried out and a law to stop these fees being charged! No-one should ever have to suffer homelessness and it's not just the typical stereotypes "alcoholics" and "down and outs" it can happen to anyone and it's discraceful, I feel the single males are the most vulnerable as they are not "eligible" for a house I have seen the same applied to couple's with no children!I would take time and help anyone where I can not having a place to call home is the fundamental part of our being take this away and where's the hope for anyone... "

Totally agree with you. It's not just the usual stereotypes, it really can happen to anyone. Even at that though, I still try not to be too quick to judge alcoholics or addicts. Addiction, isn't all black and white. It's a very complex thing and a lot of us don't know what these people have been through to reach that point in the first place.

Definitely very sad, regardless of a person's circumstances or their background, nobody should be dying homeless on the streets..... at least not in a supposedly developed and civilised country.

"Very sad situation OP and it's definitely something I'd like to help where I can up North... speaking from experience too many greedy landlords,stinking greedy estate agents taking ridiculous fees to process applications that some people never stand a chance of passing anyway,no pets no kids, yes no kids can you believe I've saw this advertised,no this no that makes me furious...high rents shortage of houses and demand is the demise of this country, predators taking full advantage of this sorry affair.... another problem is revenge evictions where hopefully the law will come in in Northern Ireland/Ireland to stop these being carried out and a law to stop these fees being charged! No-one should ever have to suffer homelessness and it's not just the typical stereotypes "alcoholics" and "down and outs" it can happen to anyone and it's discraceful, I feel the single males are the most vulnerable as they are not "eligible" for a house I have seen the same applied to couple's with no children!I would take time and help anyone where I can not having a place to call home is the fundamental part of our being take this away and where's the hope for anyone...

Totally agree with you. It's not just the usual stereotypes, it really can happen to anyone. Even at that though, I still try not to be too quick to judge alcoholics or addicts. Addiction, isn't all black and white. It's a very complex thing and a lot of us don't know what these people have been through to reach that point in the first place.

Definitely very sad, regardless of a person's circumstances or their background, nobody should be dying homeless on the streets..... at least not in a supposedly developed and civilised country."

Agreed

By *igBlondeDommeWoman  over a year ago

middle of nowhere

"Shocking how many are homeless but do some these people not have family or friends that will put them up surely some them have family and friends to help them or am i only one who wonders this because I know if any my friends or family were left homeless I wouldn't be letting them sleep on the streets

I have met people who have worked all their life, provided for their family, very descent people. And because of circumstances, have been stripped of everything, but try their utmost to hold onto some sense of pride and dignity, the hurdles people have to climb to get out of homelessness can seem insurmountable, and fair play to you for having this humanity, but ask yourself, how long would you be prepared to put a roof over someone's head, even a loved one. Because as you know this problem is not going away anytime soon, and everyone experiencing this has their own story to tell."

Well said.

middle of nowhere

"Very sad situation OP and it's definitely something I'd like to help where I can up North... speaking from experience too many greedy landlords,stinking greedy estate agents taking ridiculous fees to process applications that some people never stand a chance of passing anyway,no pets no kids, yes no kids can you believe I've saw this advertised,no this no that makes me furious...high rents shortage of houses and demand is the demise of this country, predators taking full advantage of this sorry affair.... another problem is revenge evictions where hopefully the law will come in in Northern Ireland/Ireland to stop these being carried out and a law to stop these fees being charged! No-one should ever have to suffer homelessness and it's not just the typical stereotypes "alcoholics" and "down and outs" it can happen to anyone and it's discraceful, I feel the single males are the most vulnerable as they are not "eligible" for a house I have seen the same applied to couple's with no children!I would take time and help anyone where I can not having a place to call home is the fundamental part of our being take this away and where's the hope for anyone...

Definitely very sad, regardless of a person's circumstances or their background, nobody should be dying homeless on the streets..... at least not in a supposedly developed and civilised country."

middle of nowhere

3000 children homeless I doubt they are alcoholics or drug addicts. Three people list their lives this week homelessness related and Leo varadker tweeting about Lady Diana.

The Darkest Side

Even the rooms been charged at 1000 quid are disgusting. The viral one of the bed on top of the wardrobe. Dreadful. Not too aware of the northern problem if im honest, and sorry to say, have been focusrd on the republics issue. "

Fortunately enough up here there are 100's of houses being built atm which in the past few years has really eased the issue though these are only majority for families and special needs, though there have been apartments built which have been helping house singles and couples but even at that there are still lots of people on the housing list badly needing a home and these require people on the list to have high points.

The bed on top of a wardrobe my goodness never knew that was happening, desperate

The Darkest Side

Indeed it's amazing how life can quickly crumble and anyone can find themselves on this kind of situation.

The Darkest Side

What is the saying "you're only a pay check away from being homeless"

middle of nowhere

"What is the saying "you're only a pay check away from being homeless""

You can work for years and then one day it can be all gone. Sad .

The Darkest Side

"What is the saying "you're only a pay check away from being homeless"

You can work for years and then one day it can be all gone. Sad ."

It's so true

"3000 children homeless I doubt they are alcoholics or drug addicts. Three people list their lives this week homelessness related and Leo varadker tweeting about Lady Diana. "

Yeah this hasn't gone down well at all

Even the rooms been charged at 1000 quid are disgusting. The viral one of the bed on top of the wardrobe. Dreadful. Not too aware of the northern problem if im honest, and sorry to say, have been focusrd on the republics issue.

Fortunately enough up here there are 100's of houses being built atm which in the past few years has really eased the issue though these are only majority for families and special needs, though there have been apartments built which have been helping house singles and couples but even at that there are still lots of people on the housing list badly needing a home and these require people on the list to have high points.

The bed on top of a wardrobe my goodness never knew that was happening, desperate "

Glad something is been done. And the wardrobe thing was sick. Disgraceful

"What is the saying "you're only a pay check away from being homeless""

Yep. Ordinary man by Christy Moore has never been truer

You can work for years and then one day it can be all gone. Sad ."

It has happened too. All gone when the elite decide

middle of nowhere

It has happened too. All gone when the elite decide"

The bailed out bankers.

It has happened too. All gone when the elite decide

The bailed out bankers. "

And corporations who don't pay a penny in tax

The Darkest Side

Feed the rich starve the poor

"Feed the rich starve the poor "

Once we all come together we can fight it. Be nice to see thousands at the Apollo house protest next Saturday

» Add a new message to this topic