FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Car purchase NI

Car purchase NI

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hey guys, been looking at getting car up north given exchange rate. Looking at 161 hyundai i30. Looked up autotrader and usedcarsni and autovillage. Any one recommend any dealers, more options i have the better

TIA

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Try Fermanagh

"Try Fermanagh "

I want a decent car not a good ride

"Try Fermanagh

I want a decent car not a good ride "

Who offered a ride

By *ohndunboyneMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

Are they not the same thing?

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I'm in the middle of getting a new car, it's a minefield to say the least! So much you've to consider and taking into account.

"I'm in the middle of getting a new car, it's a minefield to say the least! So much you've to consider and taking into account. "

I agree but its worth it. Ive done alot homework in terms vrt, getting best rare etc. Just trying widen scope to get besr deal

By *ork fellaMan  over a year ago

Macroom

Bought a car off MGL motors in Fermanagh, irvinestown I think it was. Have it two years and happy out. They were sound to deal with.

"Bought a car off MGL motors in Fermanagh, irvinestown I think it was. Have it two years and happy out. They were sound to deal with. "

See good wee Fermanagh

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

Be careful with regards to warranties, often the warranties don't stand when you change them over ie a hyundai advertised with a 5 year warranty in NI might be reduced to 2 Years when brought south

By *o hassleMan  over a year ago

moira

This is my field of excellence ..on for free advice

"This is my field of excellence ..on for free advice "

Test drive ?

"Bought a car off MGL motors in Fermanagh, irvinestown I think it was. Have it two years and happy out. They were sound to deal with.

See good wee Fermanagh "

Suppose theres a few plus points for fermanagh

"Be careful with regards to warranties, often the warranties don't stand when you change them over ie a hyundai advertised with a 5 year warranty in NI might be reduced to 2 Years when brought south"

Yeah ive asked and it does transfer over. Ive seen cars in south bought in from uk and warranty was kept.

By *rishplayerMan  over a year ago

monaghan

Try the Hyundai dealer in Fermanagh.

Few Friends bought cars there they looked after everything including VRT etc.

If they don't have it they'll get it for you.

By *lue TopazWoman  over a year ago

dublin

"Hey guys, been looking at getting car up north given exchange rate. Looking at 161 hyundai i30. Looked up autotrader and usedcarsni and autovillage. Any one recommend any dealers, more options i have the better

TIA"

We bought our car in Charles Hurst Belfast. We saved about €4000 after paying VRT and currrncy exchange.

By *o hassleMan  over a year ago

moira

"This is my field of excellence ..on for free advice

Test drive ?"

I have offered you before

Warranties don't travel. The UK dealers say they do but the Irish dealers won't honour them because it's destroying their business. If you are concerned buy an after market warranty for about 500 to a 1000 that works in Ireland.

My experience is the northern dealer's know exactly what Sterling is trading and price accordingly. Consider GB instead.

Finally appeal the VRT assessment every time. Revenue are in league with Irish dealer's and over charge VRT. I've imported two cars this year and got 15% back on what I paid. Don't accept revenues fairy tale valuation

By *aradisecircusMan  over a year ago

Derry

"Hey guys, been looking at getting car up north given exchange rate. Looking at 161 hyundai i30. Looked up autotrader and usedcarsni and autovillage. Any one recommend any dealers, more options i have the better

TIA"

Try usedcarsni for a Norn Iron search. Boucher Road in Belfast has Sere and Charles Hurst and I suppose they're as good as any

Irish dealees have to homour warranty with car ive have bought two focus from uk no probs with warranty in south.I just rang fords in cork they sorted it in fuve mins for me

My mum used Donnelly and Taggart near Campsie. They sold her an ex showroom model as used. Very reasonable price. Also found out which dealers down here would accept the warranty. They were very competitive and including the VRT charge she saved almost €8000. The car was also a much higher spec than you’d get down here. I just brought my Ford Focus back from living in the UK. Paid £7500 2 years ago and it’s still worth almost €13000 here. The Irish system is s joke.

By *damcaseyMan  over a year ago

Sundays well

[Removed by poster at 02/09/17 09:19:36]

By *damcaseyMan  over a year ago

Sundays well

Oops du no what happened there.

How does one appeal vrt.?

Charles hurst!

TIA"

Did u try auto to go in clonmel they source cars from the uk or even Charles hurst

By *kcoupleCouple  over a year ago

I was looking at an i30 until about a month ago but went with a golf. Either way the i30 is a great car but they vary so in price. Better off looking on line and always get a decent mechanic to check it out. If you want to spend a few quick extra use motor check. Two of the three cars I checked out had problems which showed on the checks. Money well spent. Good luck finding a motor OP

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

"I was looking at an i30 until about a month ago but went with a golf. Either way the i30 is a great car but they vary so in price. Better off looking on line and always get a decent mechanic to check it out. If you want to spend a few quick extra use motor check. Two of the three cars I checked out had problems which showed on the checks. Money well spent. Good luck finding a motor OP "

Carcheck is well worth the money we drove all the way to belmullet one day to view a car which checked out clear and was a lovely car but we noticed the engine no on car check and the one in the car didn't match the owner couldn't give a reasonable answer as to why it was changed or where the new engine came from we walked away

By *kcoupleCouple  over a year ago

"I was looking at an i30 until about a month ago but went with a golf. Either way the i30 is a great car but they vary so in price. Better off looking on line and always get a decent mechanic to check it out. If you want to spend a few quick extra use motor check. Two of the three cars I checked out had problems which showed on the checks. Money well spent. Good luck finding a motor OP

Carcheck is well worth the money we drove all the way to belmullet one day to view a car which checked out clear and was a lovely car but we noticed the engine no on car check and the one in the car didn't match the owner couldn't give a reasonable answer as to why it was changed or where the new engine came from we walked away "

The last car I looked at had 4 owners in three months. Even allowing for trading between garages is was suspect. Why chance it. €20 well spent on checks

[Removed by poster at 02/09/17 16:41:02]

By tom4Find posts by tom4 Man

just this minute!

Centre

To appeal the vrt write to revenue. Address is on the website. Include your invoices and give examples from UK and Irish websites of similar car's to yours. Tell them what you think the car was Worth

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

"Warranties don't travel. The UK dealers say they do but the Irish dealers won't honour them because it's destroying their business. If you are concerned buy an after market warranty for about 500 to a 1000 that works in Ireland.

My experience is the northern dealer's know exactly what Sterling is trading and price accordingly. Consider GB instead.

Finally appeal the VRT assessment every time. Revenue are in league with Irish dealer's and over charge VRT. I've imported two cars this year and got 15% back on what I paid. Don't accept revenues fairy tale valuation"

I disputed the Irish value of a car I brought in from England and Revenue subsequently reduced the vrt so always worth arguing your case

By *lavemale66Man  over a year ago

Carlow

I bought a car off Donnelly M1 Motor Store a few years ago, I thought they were sound to deal with.

By *un guy 911Man  over a year ago

Tipperary and Dublin

Have bought all my cars up north and got some great deals use only same 2 dealers in Belfast if need more info pm me. Have sent friends up also and got great deals. But go onto revenue. Ie and check vrt for car you're thinking of buying first

What happened to OP??

"What happened to OP?? "

He obviously got the ride he was looking for

I had a UK car with a recall issue, it was posted to my home address and got it done at a main dealer

By *owdyboy 890Man  over a year ago

Country West

[Removed by poster at 02/09/17 22:20:34]

By *owdyboy 890Man  over a year ago

Country West

"What happened to OP?? "

I'd say he did a road runner

"I had a UK car with a recall issue, it was posted to my home address and got it done at a main dealer "

I think the op had a recall issue mate.

Bahahahhahaha

Glad he got the riiide he wanted wink wink wink

"I had a UK car with a recall issue, it was posted to my home address and got it done at a main dealer

I think the op had a recall issue mate."

Well I have been importing cars from the UK for years and the recall notice was honoured by Irish main dealer

By *ivelifeMan  over a year ago

Dublin

All source you it. What you after. All give you a free service to

By *urfdudeMan  over a year ago

WEXFORD

Do your homework and all uk cars are what they seem , they use a lot of salt on the roads that corrodes the underneath.

Support your local dealer who will be there if there is a problem , bargain hard and shop local, you can do a trade in also in the republic

When I was driving my car home a warning light came on. The UK dealer advised I bring it to a local Irish dealer. The Irish dealer sorted the problem but told me the brake pads were"dangerously low" and needed"immediate replacement" with the car "a danger on the road". He was surprised the warning light hadn't come on for brakes.

I paid 300 for them and screamed at the uk dealer. He immediately sent me the independent report their manufacturer require which showed the brake pads were brand new. He pointed out if the brake pads needed replacing the warning light would have told me!

Another local dealer used to rubbish UK imports until he started importing himself.

I'll happily support my local dealers the day after they stop been a crowd of bent gobshites!

» Add a new message to this topic