FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Solpadine & Feminax may cause roadside drug tests

Solpadine & Feminax may cause roadside drug tests

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Indo reporting this morning that taking Solpadine and Feminax May cause a roadside saliva drug test. Gardai will still however have to assess if the driver is impaired or not. This is a worry as this process is subjective.

Long term opiate users, such as those undergoing cancer treatment,may fail these tests also.

I'm all for drug testing at the roadside, but failing a drug test for taking period medication or back pain is ridiculous.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I do get where you are coming from but is the warning on opiate meds not to use heavy machinery or to drive?

"I do get where you are coming from but is the warning on opiate meds not to use heavy machinery or to drive? "

I don't think there's a warning on feminax, but it always knocks me out if I take it. It's kind of common sense though, if you know something makes you sleepy or impairs your alertness, don't drive till you're able to.

"I do get where you are coming from but is the warning on opiate meds not to use heavy machinery or to drive? "
Depends on the dosage.

Point being that even with something as benign as Solpadine you may fail a drug test. Then we have to rely on a subjective test being performed by a Garda to determine is you are competent to drive it whether you should be arrested or not.

I don't like this.....

"I do get where you are coming from but is the warning on opiate meds not to use heavy machinery or to drive?

I don't think there's a warning on feminax, but it always knocks me out if I take it. It's kind of common sense though, if you know something makes you sleepy or impairs your alertness, don't drive till you're able to. "

There are people on long term analgesics that are perfectly well able to function day to day, including driving.

"I do get where you are coming from but is the warning on opiate meds not to use heavy machinery or to drive?

I don't think there's a warning on feminax, but it always knocks me out if I take it. It's kind of common sense though, if you know something makes you sleepy or impairs your alertness, don't drive till you're able to. There are people on long term analgesics that are perfectly well able to function day to day, including driving. "

I get that, I understand that. If those people are functioning normally and driving perfectly, surely no one would need to test them? Are those tests not more likely to be done on people who appear to be driving under the influence of something?

By *isdirtygirlWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

I don't think there's a warning on feminax, but it always knocks me out if I take it. It's kind of common sense though, if you know something makes you sleepy or impairs your alertness, don't drive till you're able to. There are people on long term analgesics that are perfectly well able to function day to day, including driving. "

Solphadeine and feminax contain codeine which is a highly addictive opiate. To a trained garda, its very easy to tell if someone is high just by looking at the pupil of the eye for dilation. Simple roadside tests are performed anyway to guage if a person is fit to drive. Excessive use in one dosage of either of these medication would impair driving ability by causing dizziness drowsiness and poor co-ordination, so maybe its not a bad thing if its going to make our roads safer.

I don't think there's a warning on feminax, but it always knocks me out if I take it. It's kind of common sense though, if you know something makes you sleepy or impairs your alertness, don't drive till you're able to. There are people on long term analgesics that are perfectly well able to function day to day, including driving.

I get that, I understand that. If those people are functioning normally and driving perfectly, surely no one would need to test them? Are those tests not more likely to be done on people who appear to be driving under the influence of something? "

Well, d*unk driving used to have a clause where a Garda had to form an opinion. That changed to random breath testing. That was a positive move. In this context, I'm sure that these tests will also be random, like drink driving. But in this case, taking solpadine for back pain or a tooth ache leaves you at the mercy of a Garda to do a subject time roadside assessment if your fitness to drive. I'm uneasy about that. Needs to be better controlled than that I think.

I'm not advocating drink/drug driving. But the idea that one could be arrested because of using solpadine or feminax, is a concern.

I don't think there's a warning on feminax, but it always knocks me out if I take it. It's kind of common sense though, if you know something makes you sleepy or impairs your alertness, don't drive till you're able to. There are people on long term analgesics that are perfectly well able to function day to day, including driving.

Solphadeine and feminax contain codeine which is a highly addictive opiate. To a trained garda, its very easy to tell if someone is high just by looking at the pupil of the eye for dilation. Simple roadside tests are performed anyway to guage if a person is fit to drive. Excessive use in one dosage of either of these medication would impair driving ability by causing dizziness drowsiness and poor co-ordination, so maybe its not a bad thing if its going to make our roads safer. "

Absolutely agree that if someone is driving impaired, they need to be off the road. But, what about the situation where a person is recovering from a tooth extraction or back pain. They are taking solpadine, a otc drug, and they get pulled over for a drug test. They fail the test as there are markers in the saliva. Then we have a Garda, with no medical training let's not forget, making a determination that a driver is not fit to drive. I understand they will have a graphic card showing levels of pupil dilation for reference. Pupil dilation is not an exclusive sign of being on drugs. For example, pupils dilate when looking at an attractive member of the opposite (or same) sex.

Dublin

Solphadeine and feminax contain codeine which is a highly addictive opiate. To a trained garda, its very easy to tell if someone is high just by looking at the pupil of the eye for dilation. Simple roadside tests are performed anyway to guage if a person is fit to drive. Excessive use in one dosage of either of these medication would impair driving ability by causing dizziness drowsiness and poor co-ordination, so maybe its not a bad thing if its going to make our roads safer. Absolutely agree that if someone is driving impaired, they need to be off the road. But, what about the situation where a person is recovering from a tooth extraction or back pain. They are taking solpadine, a otc drug, and they get pulled over for a drug test. They fail the test as there are markers in the saliva. Then we have a Garda, with no medical training let's not forget, making a determination that a driver is not fit to drive. I understand they will have a graphic card showing levels of pupil dilation for reference. Pupil dilation is not an exclusive sign of being on drugs. For example, pupils dilate when looking at an attractive member of the opposite (or same) sex. "

Thats the thing. Solphadeine isnt an over the counter drug anymore. Its prescription only and advises not to drive or operate machinery while taking the medication.

Ive driven my car after taking 2 solphadeine for tooth extraction with no side effects whatsoever. Prolonged use or exceeding the dosage is where problems start. Im aware that gardai arent medically trained and discretion on their part should come into play.They have some knowledge in knowing if a person is high or not though, giving them cause for suspicion for further testing.

Solphadeine and feminax contain codeine which is a highly addictive opiate. To a trained garda, its very easy to tell if someone is high just by looking at the pupil of the eye for dilation. Simple roadside tests are performed anyway to guage if a person is fit to drive. Excessive use in one dosage of either of these medication would impair driving ability by causing dizziness drowsiness and poor co-ordination, so maybe its not a bad thing if its going to make our roads safer. Absolutely agree that if someone is driving impaired, they need to be off the road. But, what about the situation where a person is recovering from a tooth extraction or back pain. They are taking solpadine, a otc drug, and they get pulled over for a drug test. They fail the test as there are markers in the saliva. Then we have a Garda, with no medical training let's not forget, making a determination that a driver is not fit to drive. I understand they will have a graphic card showing levels of pupil dilation for reference. Pupil dilation is not an exclusive sign of being on drugs. For example, pupils dilate when looking at an attractive member of the opposite (or same) sex.

Thats the thing. Solphadeine isnt an over the counter drug anymore. Its prescription only and advises not to drive or operate machinery while taking the medication.

Ive driven my car after taking 2 solphadeine for tooth extraction with no side effects whatsoever. Prolonged use or exceeding the dosage is where problems start. Im aware that gardai arent medically trained and discretion on their part should come into play.They have some knowledge in knowing if a person is high or not though, giving them cause for suspicion for further testing. "

Solpadine are on prescription now? Shows how long it's been since I bought pain killers!

Dublin

Solphadeine and feminax contain codeine which is a highly addictive opiate. To a trained garda, its very easy to tell if someone is high just by looking at the pupil of the eye for dilation. Simple roadside tests are performed anyway to guage if a person is fit to drive. Excessive use in one dosage of either of these medication would impair driving ability by causing dizziness drowsiness and poor co-ordination, so maybe its not a bad thing if its going to make our roads safer. Absolutely agree that if someone is driving impaired, they need to be off the road. But, what about the situation where a person is recovering from a tooth extraction or back pain. They are taking solpadine, a otc drug, and they get pulled over for a drug test. They fail the test as there are markers in the saliva. Then we have a Garda, with no medical training let's not forget, making a determination that a driver is not fit to drive. I understand they will have a graphic card showing levels of pupil dilation for reference. Pupil dilation is not an exclusive sign of being on drugs. For example, pupils dilate when looking at an attractive member of the opposite (or same) sex.

Ive driven my car after taking 2 solphadeine for tooth extraction with no side effects whatsoever. Prolonged use or exceeding the dosage is where problems start. Im aware that gardai arent medically trained and discretion on their part should come into play.They have some knowledge in knowing if a person is high or not though, giving them cause for suspicion for further testing. Solpadine are on prescription now? Shows how long it's been since I bought pain killers! "

Yes , prescription only since 2010 if i recall correctly. Available over the counter in the north and uk but not here in the republic. They were withdrawn from over the counter because of the reliance and addiction caused by codeine.

Ive driven my car after taking 2 solphadeine for tooth extraction with no side effects whatsoever. Prolonged use or exceeding the dosage is where problems start. Im aware that gardai arent medically trained and discretion on their part should come into play.They have some knowledge in knowing if a person is high or not though, giving them cause for suspicion for further testing. Solpadine are on prescription now? Shows how long it's been since I bought pain killers!

Yes , prescription only since 2010 if i recall correctly. Available over the counter in the north and uk but not here in the republic. They were withdrawn from over the counter because of the reliance and addiction caused by codeine. "

You sure it's no longer OTC. Looking it up on Google here and it says it's 'restricted' Still can be got without script but you need to answer questions to get it???

Dublin

Ive driven my car after taking 2 solphadeine for tooth extraction with no side effects whatsoever. Prolonged use or exceeding the dosage is where problems start. Im aware that gardai arent medically trained and discretion on their part should come into play.They have some knowledge in knowing if a person is high or not though, giving them cause for suspicion for further testing. Solpadine are on prescription now? Shows how long it's been since I bought pain killers!

Yes , prescription only since 2010 if i recall correctly. Available over the counter in the north and uk but not here in the republic. They were withdrawn from over the counter because of the reliance and addiction caused by codeine. You sure it's no longer OTC. Looking it up on Google here and it says it's 'restricted' Still can be got without script but you need to answer questions to get it???"

Depends on the relationship you have with your pharmacist. If youre known to them, they will give them as theyre aware of medical history.

Popping into a random chemist unknown to the pharmacist will only result in being offered an alternative to solphadeine.

These guidelines were brought in to stem the addiction of codeine yet, i know of people who travel north purposely to get them with no questions asked.

By *owdyBoobyMan  over a year ago

limerick

How unlucky would you have to be to get caught for this.

I do think people who drive for their work should be routinely drug tested by their employer tho. Bus drivers, Heavy Artic Drivers, Taxi Drivers and such.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

Yes , prescription only since 2010 if i recall correctly. Available over the counter in the north and uk but not here in the republic. They were withdrawn from over the counter because of the reliance and addiction caused by codeine. You sure it's no longer OTC. Looking it up on Google here and it says it's 'restricted' Still can be got without script but you need to answer questions to get it???

Depends on the relationship you have with your pharmacist. If youre known to them, they will give them as theyre aware of medical history.

Popping into a random chemist unknown to the pharmacist will only result in being offered an alternative to solphadeine.

These guidelines were brought in to stem the addiction of codeine yet, i know of people who travel north purposely to get them with no questions asked.

"

how very true I have a friend who will send family members up north to get solphaderine in and out of different chemist as they will only serve you a packet at a time

Yes , prescription only since 2010 if i recall correctly. Available over the counter in the north and uk but not here in the republic. They were withdrawn from over the counter because of the reliance and addiction caused by codeine. You sure it's no longer OTC. Looking it up on Google here and it says it's 'restricted' Still can be got without script but you need to answer questions to get it???

how very true I have a friend who will send family members up north to get solphaderine in and out of different chemist as they will only serve you a packet at a time "

So it's knows that they are addictive. But if you took two for a tooth ache, does it impair your driving? That's the question here? Should you be arrested if you take two of these and drive?

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

It being decided on the side of the road shouldnt be an issue. The Garda is only going to arrest you if you seem impaired or you've put in a complaint about Garda misconduct

Dublin

how very true I have a friend who will send family members up north to get solphaderine in and out of different chemist as they will only serve you a packet at a time So it's knows that they are addictive. But if you took two for a tooth ache, does it impair your driving? That's the question here? Should you be arrested if you take two of these and drive? "

A random 2 solphadeine shouldnt impair driving.Like i said earlier, prolonged use or exceeding dosage is an issue for driving. It only takes 3 days to become codeine dependent.

By *iss SadisticWoman  over a year ago

Nowhere

They can appear in saliva the next day which is what worries me. I have a prescription and take valium maybe once a week for back spasms. I wouldn't be impaired at all from taking it, even the day of, but the next day most definitely not. So a roadside drug test showing positive where there is no impairment and it's down the the opinion of a garda is unfair in my opinion. All for drug testing in general but it's not as clean cut as alcohol testing.

[Removed by poster at 08/05/17 13:28:09]

"They can appear in saliva the next day which is what worries me. I have a prescription and take valium maybe once a week for back spasms. I wouldn't be impaired at all from taking it, even the day of, but the next day most definitely not. So a roadside drug test showing positive where there is no impairment and it's down the the opinion of a garda is unfair in my opinion. All for drug testing in general but it's not as clean cut as alcohol testing. "

"It being decided on the side of the road shouldnt be an issue. The Garda is only going to arrest you if you seem impaired or you've put in a complaint about Garda misconduct "
You've hit on what I was trying to get to. The impairment test is subjective. Easily manipulated. How can a citizen prove their eyes are/were not dilated?

limerick

"It being decided on the side of the road shouldnt be an issue. The Garda is only going to arrest you if you seem impaired or you've put in a complaint about Garda misconduct You've hit on what I was trying to get to. The impairment test is subjective. Easily manipulated. How can a citizen prove their eyes are/were not dilated? "

I would imagine youd have to be taken back to a station to give blood or urine. Dont think a Guards word will hold up in court anymore without hard evidence.

Yes , prescription only since 2010 if i recall correctly. Available over the counter in the north and uk but not here in the republic. They were withdrawn from over the counter because of the reliance and addiction caused by codeine. "

Solpadeine is still available over the counter they will just ask you what you are using them for that's all and explain that long term use can lead to addiction because of the codeine in them

By *ildatlantic3wayCouple  over a year ago

donegal

No matter the drug, legal or illegal people should not be driving impaired.

By *rossflow daveMan  over a year ago

Mullingar

"How unlucky would you have to be to get caught for this.

I do think people who drive for their work should be routinely drug tested by their employer tho. Bus drivers, Heavy Artic Drivers, Taxi Drivers and such."

Why not just test all employees for drugs and alcohol before working and save the Garda the hassle?

"It being decided on the side of the road shouldnt be an issue. The Garda is only going to arrest you if you seem impaired or you've put in a complaint about Garda misconduct You've hit on what I was trying to get to. The impairment test is subjective. Easily manipulated. How can a citizen prove their eyes are/were not dilated? "

I'm wondering if you are arrested for d*unk driving are you not brought in to a station for further testing by a doctor, blood and urine samples etc. Obviously it's a serious offence that would cost you a ban of some sort.

Would it not be the same in this case if they thought you were in no fit state to drive because of drug misuse that you'd be brought in?

Dublin

Yes , prescription only since 2010 if i recall correctly. Available over the counter in the north and uk but not here in the republic. They were withdrawn from over the counter because of the reliance and addiction caused by codeine.

Solpadeine is still available over the counter they will just ask you what you are using them for that's all and explain that long term use can lead to addiction because of the codeine in them "

A pack of 12 and no more. Hardly useful for those that are codeine dependent and pharmacy hop to recieve a lecture each time. Hence the reason why they travel across the border and stock pile without any fuss.

limerick

Solpadeine is still available over the counter they will just ask you what you are using them for that's all and explain that long term use can lead to addiction because of the codeine in them

A pack of 12 and no more. Hardly useful for those that are codeine dependent and pharmacy hop to recieve a lecture each time. Hence the reason why they travel across the border and stock pile without any fuss."

Those people prob shouldnt be driving.

Dublin

A pack of 12 and no more. Hardly useful for those that are codeine dependent and pharmacy hop to recieve a lecture each time. Hence the reason why they travel across the border and stock pile without any fuss.

Those people prob shouldnt be driving."

Heres a truthful story. A very dear friend of mine suffered with chrohns disease and eventually lost her bowel. Shes on long term medication which include solphdeine. She drives,she works. Should she be arrested and convicted for long term medication use? Without the solphadeine, she sees flashing lights, has very severe headaches, has body tremors and shakes from the withdrawal. After she takes her 2 solphadeine, her world is normal again. Is that fair?

By *imon 2kMan  over a year ago

city

Heres a truthful story. A very dear friend of mine suffered with chrohns disease and eventually lost her bowel. Shes on long term medication which include solphdeine. She drives,she works. Should she be arrested and convicted for long term medication use? Without the solphadeine, she sees flashing lights, has very severe headaches, has body tremors and shakes from the withdrawal. After she takes her 2 solphadeine, her world is normal again. Is that fair?"

it is unfortunate for people like your friend that need medication to function as normal as possible, but I'm sure this law is being brought in for a good reason. if it saves lives is it not a good thing?

Dublin

Heres a truthful story. A very dear friend of mine suffered with chrohns disease and eventually lost her bowel. Shes on long term medication which include solphdeine. She drives,she works. Should she be arrested and convicted for long term medication use? Without the solphadeine, she sees flashing lights, has very severe headaches, has body tremors and shakes from the withdrawal. After she takes her 2 solphadeine, her world is normal again. Is that fair?

it is unfortunate for people like your friend that need medication to function as normal as possible, but I'm sure this law is being brought in for a good reason. if it saves lives is it not a good thing?"

Im not saying its not a good thing. Will she need her medical history in the glove box along with her insurance cert and license? She'd be a model to fail a random test. Through no fault of her own.

The reason I started the thread is to tease out these issues. While exceptions make for bad law, there are exceptions. An amnesty for those who are medically prescribed solphadine?

city

it is unfortunate for people like your friend that need medication to function as normal as possible, but I'm sure this law is being brought in for a good reason. if it saves lives is it not a good thing?

Im not saying its not a good thing. Will she need her medical history in the glove box along with her insurance cert and license? She'd be a model to fail a random test. Through no fault of her own. "

I agree she would be a model to fail the test and I don't think producing her medical history would help her cause. I think like drink driving anybody on these certain meds are going to have to change their lifestyle, weather that means changing their meds to something that's acceptable to the law or else don't drive while under the influence of the medication.

By *at3232Woman  over a year ago

the moon

Ive driven my car after taking 2 solphadeine for tooth extraction with no side effects whatsoever. Prolonged use or exceeding the dosage is where problems start. Im aware that gardai arent medically trained and discretion on their part should come into play.They have some knowledge in knowing if a person is high or not though, giving them cause for suspicion for further testing. "

Not prescription yet but have to go through pharmacist.

Gardai who are doing the drugs testing have been trained. Not enough of them though.

city

"The reason I started the thread is to tease out these issues. While exceptions make for bad law, there are exceptions. An amnesty for those who are medically prescribed solphadine? "

That would never work... it's either safe to drive with them in your system or its not....a script won't make it safer.

limerick

"The reason I started the thread is to tease out these issues. While exceptions make for bad law, there are exceptions. An amnesty for those who are medically prescribed solphadine?

That would never work... it's either safe to drive with them in your system or its not....a script won't make it safer."

Agreed its like someone hopping into their car after 2 pints and saying im grand im not d*unk but your more than likely over the limit and as such breaking the law no matter how coherent you think you are.

You can get co codomol over the counter in boots to.

I associate these drugs with woman or housewifes.

What are the doctors meant to do to get these people off these drugs?

They would burn the clinics down haha a woman scorned an all that scare the shite out of you

By *ove2lick76Man  over a year ago

Ardee

After several spinal surgeries i could prob open a pharmacy with meds I'm on.....at this stage I'd say almost immune to them and Def not a risk driving but fearful of whatll happen at my first random test .....not driving isn't an option for some who on long term meds

By *onygirl19Woman  over a year ago

co dublin

Solpadine is definitely still available over the counter , but they ask you a million questions and offer you an alternative in the pharmacy. Solpadol is on prescription only ( as far as I know ) was on it years ago when I had gall stones , and believe me you would be flying higher than high with them ! I was supposed to take 3 a day and I only ever took one ! As for solpadine being addictive , I knew two people very well who were addicted . One was a girl I worked with 20 + years ago ( ironically in a hospital , we worked in the catering department , not dealing with patients!) , she was so addicted she had to have two every time we had a break , she put on a huge amount of weight , which when I tell you about the next one will probably make sense . I think she got off them eventually , but had been addicted for at least ten years . The others I worked with said she was on up to 16 a day , she should have had major liver damage , but I don't know that . The other girl was a very good friend of mine , she was on at least ten or 12 solpodine a day . I remember one time she had none and she sent her son to go get some , pharmacy was already shut and she went into an absolute frenzy ! I told her there was a late night pharmacy and she immediately calmed down ( at this stage I didn't understand that there was a problem) . She ended up with her bowel being affected badly , apparently condone paralyses the bowel and she would go up to a week without doing a number 2 . Her doctor recommended rehab , she really was that bad . I honestly don't know what happened after that because we lost touch , but she was addicted , badly addicted . Codine is strong stuff , I'm sorry I've probably gone way off point .

Solphadeine definitely available over the counter. In any pharmacy, not just based on a relationship with your pharmacist.

Yes it is I bought some a few weeks ago and u get asked a few questions but that's it so it's not only on prescription

No you are given an option 12 or 24

By *onygirl19Woman  over a year ago

co dublin

I wonder are people getting solpodine and solpadol mixed up . Solpadol is on prescription, solpodine isnt , you can buy it over the counter but get asked a few questions and told to only use for 3 or 4 days .

By *rnyladniMan  over a year ago

Limavady

A bad setup, the roadside saliva test only tests for the presence of the drugs (in miniscule ammounts)

it doesn't prove impairment because it's not as easy to do that with a range of drugs as it is with alcohol

A flawed test, a good brief could fight the point of impairment in court, as has happened in other countries.

Dublin

"I wonder are people getting solpodine and solpadol mixed up . Solpadol is on prescription, solpodine isnt , you can buy it over the counter but get asked a few questions and told to only use for 3 or 4 days . "

Yes, my apologies! sorry that was my fault and got the different brands mixed up. My original point was that those that are codeine dependent will travel across the border to buy in bulk. Any decent pharmacy try dissuade people from buying codeine based medication by asking questions and offering alternative pain relief

limerick

It should be your GPs decision weather you should be allowed drive while on long term meds or not. Someone on meds shouldnt be allowed make that decision for themselves. Anyone whos a risk even if that risk is small to other road users shouldnt be driving our roads.

Dublin

"It should be your GPs decision weather you should be allowed drive while on long term meds or not. Someone on meds shouldnt be allowed make that decision for themselves. Anyone whos a risk even if that risk is small to other road users shouldnt be driving our roads."

And GP's issue a huge M sticker for the car to show the driver is medicated?Sounds embarrassing and a tad silly right? Then insurance companies might refuse to insure those on long term meds. Its opening a huge can of worms with a domino effect.

» Add a new message to this topic