FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > irish comment on sky news

irish comment on sky news

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ore of that OP   Man  over a year ago

skerries

just wondering what others think .or am I over reacting .

watching sky news this morning .3 female 1 male presenters .

article of woman who has just turned 100 puts it down to drinking bottle of Guinness every morning .

name gladys .one askes is she Irish...guy says is she d*unk .other remarks doesn't they go hand in hand ...she happens to be black

now if a remark was made like that about her .it would be classed as racist .

or am I out of order .sorry if I am.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"just wondering what others think .or am I over reacting .

article of woman who has just turned 100 puts it down to drinking bottle of Guinness every morning .

name gladys .one askes is she Irish...guy says is she d*unk .other remarks doesn't they go hand in hand ...she happens to be black

or am I out of order .sorry if I am."

It's not racist, frankly many Irish love nothing more to glorify our propensity for binge drinking, we can't then turn around and whine about it.

or am I out of order .sorry if I am."

Sky news is the equivalent of the Sun newspaper.. It's tabloid journalism that's irresponsible at best. It's sister channel in the States, Fox is the same. I wouldn't pay too much heed to it tbh

Noticed she didn't attribute longevity to copious sex. Just sayin......

By *ore of that OP   Man  over a year ago

skerries

lol.not worry to much about it .I can take a joke ....just curious how others think ..or not ...about comments like that

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

It's not racist, frankly many Irish love nothing more to glorify our propensity for binge drinking, we can't then turn around and whine about it."

It is racist it assumes if ur Irish ur an alcoholic I am sorry but I am Irish and not an alcoholic and I take offence to a remark such as that

There are more bars and off licence in tralee then any other shops that's why the world think we are alcoholics we are a nation of binge drinkers

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

It's not racist, frankly many Irish love nothing more to glorify our propensity for binge drinking, we can't then turn around and whine about it.

It is racist it assumes if ur Irish ur an alcoholic I am sorry but I am Irish and not an alcoholic and I take offence to a remark such as that "

I think it's disgraceful. Am surprised at sky news tbh.

Sky news is the equivalent of the Sun newspaper.. It's tabloid journalism that's irresponsible at best. It's sister channel in the States, Fox is the same. I wouldn't pay too much heed to it tbh"

It is racist it assumes if ur Irish ur an alcoholic I am sorry but I am Irish and not an alcoholic and I take offence to a remark such as that "

F

I'm Irish and I don't even drink but I'm not naive enough to think that the glorification of binge drinking isn't going to result in a particular image of us as a nation.

"There are more bars and off licence in tralee then any other shops that's why the world think we are alcoholics we are a nation of binge drinkers "

Yep

By *owdyBoobyMan  over a year ago

limerick

Wonder what would happen if every Irish person in the world gave up alcohol for say 12 months (12 might be stretching it a bit) Would we become the boring bastards of Europe or the work horses of the world.

limerick

It is racist it assumes if ur Irish ur an alcoholic I am sorry but I am Irish and not an alcoholic and I take offence to a remark such as that

F

I'm Irish and I don't even drink but I'm not naive enough to think that the glorification of binge drinking isn't going to result in a particular image of us as a nation."

Irish people also hold the top four jobs in the aiviaton leasing yet we are not all called pilots

We produced some of the world's best singsrs, musicians and groups yet we are not all called singers

We are one of the world's biggest beef and dairy producers yet we ate not called cows( well not all of us)

So we have a % of the population that drink are we to accept we are to be called alcoholics I don't think so

A "Race" is white people, black people, asian people. That's it. A religion is not a race and a nationality is not a race. In reality there are no races because we all have a common ancestor and variation in appearance are only a result of where we live on the globe basically.

So no would not call that comment of sky news racist, politically incorrect, probably, if you are form the pc crowd. That's about it. Point being, joking or making politically incorrect comments about another nationality is not racism by definition.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

F

I'm Irish and I don't even drink but I'm not naive enough to think that the glorification of binge drinking isn't going to result in a particular image of us as a nation.

Irish people also hold the top four jobs in the aiviaton leasing yet we are not all called pilots

We produced some of the world's best singsrs, musicians and groups yet we are not all called singers

We are one of the world's biggest beef and dairy producers yet we ate not called cows( well not all of us)

So we have a % of the population that drink are we to accept we are to be called alcoholics I don't think so "

"

So we have a % of the population that drink are we to accept we are to be called alcoholics I don't think so "

Worlds biggest beef producers? *snickers* We have single cattle stations that are almost the size of the whole of Ireland. I don't think so some how.

It's offensive in the literal sense but I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. A lot of Irish people drink way too much so it's probably best just to take it on the chin. If anything we can blame English occupation for driving us to drink

F

Exactly the kind of denial that prevents the issue from being addressed

limerick

"

So we have a % of the population that drink are we to accept we are to be called alcoholics I don't think so

Worlds biggest beef producers? *snickers* We have single cattle stations that are almost the size of the whole of Ireland. I don't think so some how."

I know I got a little carried away there it should have read world's top quality beef producers

I sure u meant *sniggers*

"A "Race" is white people, black people, asian people. That's it. A religion is not a race and a nationality is not a race. In reality there are no races because we all have a common ancestor and variation in appearance are only a result of where we live on the globe basically.

So no would not call that comment of sky news racist, politically incorrect, probably, if you are form the pc crowd. That's about it. Point being, joking or making politically incorrect comments about another nationality is not racism by definition."

It can however be a form of ethnocentrism.

Well im using my telly as a screen and it's on the other side of the room so I can't really see what i'm typing very well. I think I better use my pc display instead.

limerick

"Well im using my telly as a screen and it's on the other side of the room so I can't really see what i'm typing very well. I think I better use my pc display instead. "

Specsavers

By *randub69Man  over a year ago

city

It's not racist, frankly many Irish love nothing more to glorify our propensity for binge drinking, we can't then turn around and whine about it."

were fourth in the world alcohol consumption per capita...behind Estonia,Austria, and france..

"

were fourth in the world alcohol consumption per capita...behind Estonia,Austria, and france.."

So still room for improvement then.

limerick

were fourth in the world alcohol consumption per capita...behind Estonia,Austria, and france.."

So why didn't she ask is she enstionian,Austrian or french gawwwwd

city

were fourth in the world alcohol consumption per capita...behind Estonia,Austria, and france..

So why didn't she ask is she enstionian,Austrian or french gawwwwd "

that's what I was thinking

"

So why didn't she ask is she enstionian,Austrian or french gawwwwd "

Because of the Guinness?

"Well im using my telly as a screen and it's on the other side of the room so I can't really see what i'm typing very well. I think I better use my pc display instead.

Specsavers "

True I need reading glasses for close up. I'm just using my tv to play half life 2 on it because it's hd.

Of course it's racist, black and Irish!!!! That's why as a nation we can take them comments, we have a drink to make others look interesting.

"Wonder what would happen if every Irish person in the world gave up alcohol for say 12 months (12 might be stretching it a bit) Would we become the boring bastards of Europe or the work horses of the world. "

No we would not!!!

We would be finaly teaching the next generation that excessive drinking is no longer fashionable.

Rather, it is a bloody awful social problem, that causes ontold misery to the person and their family.

Ireland is now on par with many European Countries, Countries that do not promote the attitude, sure what the feck it`s not just us.

Time we manned up.and faced the fact, like the UK we are a Nation of binge drinkers.

limerick

"

So why didn't she ask is she enstionian,Austrian or french gawwwwd

Because of the Guinness?"

Damm us for making the world's best stout

Carlsberg

limerick

F

Exactly the kind of denial that prevents the issue from being addressed"

No I disagree I think it's more to do with the way we show our children how to enjoy them self's u don't change attitudes with brow beating u change by leading by example

limerick

"Carlsberg "

But carlsberg is sish is it not

Probably lol

By *owdyBoobyMan  over a year ago

limerick

"Carlsberg "

Probably

F

No I disagree I think it's more to do with the way we show our children how to enjoy them self's u don't change attitudes with brow beating u change by leading by example "

Indeed, and when a significant proportion of adults think a kids' communion party is as good a place as any to get blotted....

"There are more bars and off licence in tralee then any other shops that's why the world think we are alcoholics we are a nation of binge drinkers "

them bars and off locenses are mainly filled by tourists

city

F

No I disagree I think it's more to do with the way we show our children how to enjoy them self's u don't change attitudes with brow beating u change by leading by example

Indeed, and when a significant proportion of adults think a kids' communion party is as good a place as any to get blotted...."

any excuse for a drink...it's definitely ingrained in our life style. ...

» Add a new message to this topic