FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Have tattoos lost their cool?

Have tattoos lost their cool?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My mind varies between yes and no about getting some.

Have they become 'mainstream' or cliche? Or are they cool and sexy?

I find them less attractive in women now too unless really well done, well placed and match the body and style of the girl.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Their like marmite, people love them or hate. We love them as long as their not cheap and nasty looking

Hope not

No

Tattoos are definitely more acceptable and mainstream these days. I can have mine out openly in work without any comments where before I've lost out on jobs due to my arm tattoo. As for people finding them attractive I couldn't give a fuck of they did or not. I love what I have so no-one else opinion matters

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

I don't think tattoos that are personal to you will ever go out of fashion. there are the types of tattoos that are very common that might become a bit jaded after you see 100s of people with them. but custom pieces less so.

A girl I used to work with had a butterfly tattooed low down on her abdomen. Almost below her knicker line. Very very sexy.

If done right, they look well.

Virtually everyone below a certain age seems to have them, which is about as mainstream as it gets.

If you want one, get one, if you don't, don't. WTF does it matter what others think unless you're only doing it to try to impress?

By *ale4U2Man  over a year ago

Nearby

Some are cool, some are tasteful, some are crap, some are like works of art, some are sexy and on certain people they are damn hot. It's a personal choice, u either love them or hate them. I love my ones and really that's all that matter

"

If you want one, get one, if you don't, don't. WTF does it matter what others think unless you're only doing it to try to impress?"

I'm undecided, calling to the wider world for advice. I'm not immune to public opinion but I don't follow it either.

"

If you want one, get one, if you don't, don't. WTF does it matter what others think unless you're only doing it to try to impress?

I'm undecided, calling to the wider world for advice. I'm not immune to public opinion but I don't follow it either. "

Well "undecided" suggests "no", given the (almost) permanent nature of the decision.

Each one of my tattoos represent good times or bad times in my life that ive gotten through and im proud

If ppl dont like my tattoss thats their problem .. i get them for me and no1 else and plan on getting alot more

By *ale4U2Man  over a year ago

Nearby

"Each one of my tattoos represent good times or bad times in my life that ive gotten through and im proud

If ppl dont like my tattoss thats their problem .. i get them for me and no1 else and plan on getting alot more "

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

I only have one on my ankle. Which I never even think of . My daughter has a little one on the side of her hand.

By *isdirtygirlWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

I got my first and only tattoo when I was 46 , it was part of my to do list and thought about it for a long time before I got it done. Its not on public view all the time as its on my upper right thigh. Its a personal thing for me and I love it dearly

I love all mine ! They are personal to me & I could never regret them ! I want more tho

Some probably have become very mainstream it seems to depend on the generations ...I have 5 friends that have dolphins on their arms I have younger friends that all have playboy bunnies , each to their own but I find if you think about them and get something that means something you will never regret it !

If you're thinking of getting a tattoo just because its fashionable you want your head seeing to. Mainstream/common yes, but if you like tattoos you don't care what others think. There seems to be people who got a tattoo "because I wanted one" & people who are into ink. I like hearing a story about a tattoo.

I'd love to get one but I'm a big scaredy cat. I thought all the male hipsters out there were into growing beards lately

"I'd love to get one but I'm a big scaredy cat. I thought all the male hipsters out there were into growing beards lately "
beards and tattoos it seems. Bleeding hipsters

"I'd love to get one but I'm a big scaredy cat. I thought all the male hipsters out there were into growing beards lately

beards and tattoos it seems. Bleeding hipsters "

They're everywhere kitty.

By *oughandCurvyCouple  over a year ago

galway

"Have tattoos lost their cool?" Would it matter if they have? They are a lot more socially acceptable now a days especially for men but whether that means they are more or less cool now I don't know. I love every one of my tattoos and I will still love every one regardless of whether or not they are cool or fashionable.

"I'd love to get one but I'm a big scaredy cat. I thought all the male hipsters out there were into growing beards lately beards and tattoos it seems. Bleeding hipsters "

why do hipsters look so like hobos?

I love my tattoos regardless of whether they have lost there cool or not. Plus I would love more but think I have to discuss that further with someone

""Have tattoos lost their cool?" Would it matter if they have? They are a lot more socially acceptable now a days especially for men but whether that means they are more or less cool now I don't know. I love every one of my tattoos and I will still love every one regardless of whether or not they are cool or fashionable."

Totally agree. Our tattoos are part of us. We didn't get them to be cool

"Virtually everyone below a certain age seems to have them, which is about as mainstream as it gets.

If you want one, get one, if you don't, don't. WTF does it matter what others think unless you're only doing it to try to impress?"

I think this answer is sums up everyones attitude to tattoos. If you want to get one then get one and if you dont want to get one then dont. It doesnt come any simpler than that...

Great reply.... i like you

some people say they get tattoos to remember important things in their life, I don't really understand that. I toyed with the idea of getting one of those I survived cancer ones but then decided I'd not tempt fate which I suppose given the past few months was a good idea.

Everyone owns their own bodies though so I'd never think bad of someone just cos they had a lot of ink.

My tattoos are cool, to me. What anyone else thinks of them is irrelevant

"My tattoos are cool, to me. What anyone else thinks of them is irrelevant "

By *owdyBoobyMan  over a year ago

limerick

So many different types and styles of tattoo out there it erks me when i see everyone going round with the same ones usually stars and no uniqueness to them.

"So many different types and styles of tattoo out there it erks me when i see everyone going round with the same ones usually stars and no uniqueness to them. "

The ones i have planned will be roughly sketched by myself but the tattooist will perfect it

"Some are cool, some are tasteful, some are crap, some are like works of art, some are sexy and on certain people they are damn hot. It's a personal choice, u either love them or hate them. I love my ones and really that's all that matter "

"I'd love to get one but I'm a big scaredy cat. I thought all the male hipsters out there were into growing beards lately beards and tattoos it seems. Bleeding hipsters "
What do you call a person who is the opposite of a hipster. A man with no beard, no tattoos, that smells nice and has money? An anti-hipster? An un-hipster?

Whatever it is, count me in. I'm the furthest thing from a hipster one could imagine.

By *illbillMan  over a year ago

dublin

"I got my first and only tattoo when I was 46 , it was part of my to do list and thought about it for a long time before I got it done. Its not on public view all the time as its on my upper right thigh. Its a personal thing for me and I love it dearly "
show us

Dublin

"I got my first and only tattoo when I was 46 , it was part of my to do list and thought about it for a long time before I got it done. Its not on public view all the time as its on my upper right thigh. Its a personal thing for me and I love it dearly show us"

No chance as its my children's names

By *allymenacplCouple  over a year ago

ballymena

Mrs bmena is quite heavily tattooed. To me they look sexy as fook on her.

By *llie and ApplesCouple  over a year ago

where ever

I tease Apples about all hers resembling various vegetables. ..

Way too permanent for me...

I've noticed how my personality has changed over my adult life.

Things that were once important to me no longer matter....

And things I never gave a second thought to ...well I'm starting to care about...

Plus I'm a complete wus when it comes to needles. ...and my mum wouldn't like me tampering with her creation...

I'm dying to get one, but have yet to figure what exactly I want and where I want it...

"I got my first and only tattoo when I was 46 , it was part of my to do list and thought about it for a long time before I got it done. Its not on public view all the time as its on my upper right thigh. Its a personal thing for me and I love it dearly show us

No chance as its my children's names "

I don't understand those ones. I just can't for the life of me understand why people put their kids names on them.

I have 11 and saving hard for number 12, love tattoos but like everything i have my own taste got a good few that mean something and i love them, others i just loved the design! My next one will be something very personal and it'll be done by Charly Huurman who in my eyes if the number 1 artist for me there is nothing hotter than people covered in ink! Huge turn on

"

Way too permanent for me...

I've noticed how my personality has changed over my adult life.

Things that were once important to me no longer matter....

And things I never gave a second thought to ...well I'm starting to care about...

"

I'm equally fickle like that ollie

"I got my first and only tattoo when I was 46 , it was part of my to do list and thought about it for a long time before I got it done. Its not on public view all the time as its on my upper right thigh. Its a personal thing for me and I love it dearly show us

I don't understand those ones. I just can't for the life of me understand why people put their kids names on them. "

It would be awkward if you forgot them...a handy cheat sheet to help you remember?

I don't understand those ones. I just can't for the life of me understand why people put their kids names on them.

It would be awkward if you forgot them...a handy cheat sheet to help you remember?

"

Lol perhaps.

I can understand perhaps if the child had passed away but when they alive and kicking seems weird to me

It is something that only people who really like ink do, i have my child's name and some words she wrote too, hard to explain , i guess it is something only people with children understand

Just had to come back for this one. There is a guy who lives not far from me who has his whole face covered in tats. He looks like he is in his 40's and been on welfare all his life. No wonder with all that crap on his face. Not sure if he has a mental illness or something. Probably does.

I never thought tats were cool at all, don't have any either although my wife had one on her inner wrist. She got it her brother died.

If people want to get tats then it's personal choice. I guess they have there reasons. I don't really think about a person's tats when I see them or meet someone, I pretty think for moment, oh, a tattoo, good for you and that's it, thought over.

1 or 2 tats is ok but heavily tattooed people well I just don't get it. Makes them look like criminals I reckon.

Funny vid about a tats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3qFet2LdqA

"i guess it is something only people with children understand "

Perhaps..

"i guess it is something only people with children understand

Perhaps.."

I've got children and I don't understand it. It's like having a family pic on your desk at work - are you going to forget what they look like in 8 hours?

By *yrone-fem43Woman  over a year ago

tyrone

have 7 regret only 1 which is getting covered soon and i may add more who knows ,each to their own if you don,t like them don,t get them its simple , and to your man above labelling someone like that as to being on welfare all his life just because he,s tattooed maybe you should go ask him to his face lol

Well casey i don't forget what my child or loved ones look like , what i meant is people who have chilren and really love ink would get that done cos they like it and want to it is a choice as it is yours not to get them or understand it

Well his whole face is covered in them. He's got to be a few slices short of a loaf. When was the last time your saw a person with their whole face tattooed in gainful employment? I guess he could work at a tattoo place or something? You never know.

If you get tats because you think they make you look cool then, um no, they don't and I think you will probably regret it later in life. On the other hand people who get them for personal reasons, than fine, it's their body.

I don't think so, i have met people who had no ink anywhere and they were the thickest and bad people too So not really, each to their own

true, it doesn't matter if you have them or not. Like I said, I don't really think about it or care. It's a free country.

tyrone

"Well his whole face is covered in them. He's got to be a few slices short of a loaf. When was the last time your saw a person with their whole face tattooed in gainful employment? I guess he could work at a tattoo place or something? You never know.

If you get tats because you think they make you look cool then, um no, they don't and I think you will probably regret it later in life. On the other hand people who get them for personal reasons, than fine, it's their body."

EXACTLY he could !! did you ever stop to ask him before judging hmmmm me thinks not lol naw i did,nt get them to look cool i was already cool before i got them ,see i love pain like that balls of steel me lmao

Perhaps..

I've got children and I don't understand it. It's like having a family pic on your desk at work - are you going to forget what they look like in 8 hours?"

Some people find enjoyment in looking at their loved ones when apart from them.

I know i do

Perhaps..

I've got children and I don't understand it. It's like having a family pic on your desk at work - are you going to forget what they look like in 8 hours?

Some people find enjoyment in looking at their loved ones when apart from them."

For 8 hours? Anyone that clingy needs help

Perhaps..

I've got children and I don't understand it. It's like having a family pic on your desk at work - are you going to forget what they look like in 8 hours?"

Why have pics at all then...

I assume you have some either at home, on phone, in wallet or such? Why do you have them there?

I don't spend my day looking at my tattoos or my pics, i do work i deffo don't consider myself clingy at all maybe you just don't get it

I see him sometimes at the bus stop or walking down the street.

No I never asked the guy and never will because of the way he looks. Why would I? I not interested in meeting people who live off welfare and have their faces covered in tats. He looks like he has mental problems and spent his whole life on welfare. Not exactly on my bucket list of must meet people.

Perhaps..

For 8 hours? Anyone that clingy needs help"

Yeah, THEY need help.

tyrone

"I see him sometimes at the bus stop or walking down the street.

No I never asked the guy and never will because of the way he looks. Why would I? I not interested in meeting people who live off welfare and have their faces covered in tats. He looks like he has mental problems and spent his whole life on welfare. Not exactly on my bucket list of must meet people. "

welfare must pay him well then cause tattoo,s arn,t cheap these days ! and on a lighter note ya just reminded me i have to be in work at one have a happy judgemental day won,t cha !! lol

Perhaps..

Yeah, THEY need help."

How will they cope when the kids leave home?

I have a tattoo on my right leg which i got done in holiday. I knew exactly what i wanted and seen it the minute i entered the shop. Its a little bit small now and a friend has offered to improve it.

Basically i love it. I have never ever regretted getting it done and no-one has ever criticised it when they've seen it although i dont think i'd get anymore.

Perhaps..

Yeah, THEY need help.

How will they cope when the kids leave home?"

Probably blame the partner & move out.

Hahaha!! Candy you crack me up seems i am one of those needy ones who love being close to her child

Nothing to do with being judgmental. He portraits? himself that way. Everyone builds a picture of what someone is like by their appearance don't they? It's called first impressions. If you see a d*unk sleeping under a bridge with empty bottles lying around then what would you think? He must be a nice guy with no problems in his life? No one is judgmental when they see people like that? Call me judgmental then, fine with me. For all I know he could be rocket scientist. None of my biz.

By *rash_pandaMan  over a year ago

Dublin

"My mind varies between yes and no about getting some.

I find them less attractive in women now too unless really well done, well placed and match the body and style of the girl. "

Yes they have!

By *osafewordneededMan  over a year ago

City

What's wrong with caring what other people think?

We all do a bit. Irish people sometimes take the meaning of the tattoo too serious and forget to make it look cool.

You can do both, tell the tattoo guy the meaning, but then actually give him some freedom to make it look cool for you.

I always find the coolest looking tattoos are the ones people got purely for the artistic value, and in the end that says something about the person, they have an eye for art, they like design etc etc.

Not everyone can be like me, fall out of bed looking great.

Dublin

"Hahaha!! Candy you crack me up seems i am one of those needy ones who love being close to her child "

Me too considering my body has life marks from giving birth!! Another mark like a tattoo makes no odds at this stage

There's some very hot guys on this with fantastic body art on them. I think they look great.

My next tattoos are of my kids names first time they wrote it . Its personal to me and a reminder for me .and will be when they're older that they were innocent once . the paper they wrote it on could get destroyed or lost ..

as i said my tattoos are personal to me and to me my tattoos are a visual expresion of my personality and who i am ..

But they are all easily covered up if needs be

Mine are personal & can be hidden. One more to get.

Same here missdirty!! Yours must be well hidden though, mine are more visible

Dublin

"Same here missdirty!! Yours must be well hidden though, mine are more visible "

Ohhh ive a few sultry, feck that, theres only certain bits of me that can cope with being stretched, theres tales to tell from the bits that can't

"Their like marmite, people love them or hate. We love them as long as their not cheap and nasty looking "

I've a tattoo on my knob hunni, nice looking it is, & tastes even sweeter

"Tattoos are definitely more acceptable and mainstream these days. I can have mine out openly in work without any comments where before I've lost out on jobs due to my arm tattoo. As for people finding them attractive I couldn't give a fuck of they did or not. I love what I have so no-one else opinion matters "

Well said misdirty

I personally love tattoos in ladies and the fun to be had finding them.

"My next tattoos are of my kids names first time they wrote it . Its personal to me and a reminder for me .and will be when they're older that they were innocent once . the paper they wrote it on could get destroyed or lost ..

as i said my tattoos are personal to me and to me my tattoos are a visual expresion of my personality and who i am ..

But they are all easily covered up if needs be "

That's such a good idea....

By *rutus83Man  over a year ago

naas

Looking for an idea i wanna get a sleeve on my left arm, was thinking of a Chinese style sleeve

Help

galway

"Looking for an idea i wanna get a sleeve on my left arm, was thinking of a Chinese style sleeve

Help "

for me I start with the artist rather than the piece, find an artist who's work you really like and take it from there.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

My father has the moSt strangeSt tattoo it's a knif on his forearm

but written in the blade he has my name. I often wondered what the reason behind it was.

maybe times he wanted to kill me

iv only one on my inner arm, its personal why I got it, getting second one end of year when im down under,

naas

"Looking for an idea i wanna get a sleeve on my left arm, was thinking of a Chinese style sleeve

Help

for me I start with the artist rather than the piece, find an artist who's work you really like and take it from there. "

There is one or two id let near me because they are great tattoo artists its the piece that has me stunned

I was thinking a tattoo of a condom on my dick may come in handy if I come a across a girl that will only have sex if I have a condom on. I could say "Way ahead of you babe, already have one on tada!"

naas

"I was thinking a tattoo of a condom on my dick may come in handy if I come a across a girl that will only have sex if I have a condom on. I could say "Way ahead of you babe, already have one on tada!""

Holy fuck ha ha fair play let me know how that goes

"I was thinking a tattoo of a condom on my dick may come in handy if I come a across a girl that will only have sex if I have a condom on. I could say "Way ahead of you babe, already have one on tada!""

Will it look like one of those yokes bank tellers wear on their fingers to count notes with the rest of the time?

hehehe probably would.

"hehehe probably would. "

I love tattoos. Well except for tribal and ones that look like they were done in prison, obviously

I have six and plan on getting more. My most recent is my favorite. Beautiful is the only word I can use to describe it will only get the artist who did that one to do any future ones.

" for me I start with the artist rather than the piece, find an artist who's work you really like and take it from there. "

By *igglesAndGeekCouple  over a year ago

Galway

"I love tattoos. Well except for tribal and ones that look like they were done in prison, obviously

I have six and plan on getting more. My most recent is my favorite. Beautiful is the only word I can use to describe it will only get the artist who did that one to do any future ones.

"

People normally think mine are tribal.. They are most definitely not though

"I love tattoos. Well except for tribal and ones that look like they were done in prison, obviously

People normally think mine are tribal.. They are most definitely not though "

Still haven't had a gawk

My tattoos aren't about being cool. They are personal and meaningful to me that's what matters. But I hope they aren't frowned upon as much now as ive just started my3/4 sleeve ????

"My tattoos aren't about being cool. They are personal and meaningful to me that's what matters. But I hope they aren't frowned upon as much now as ive just started my3/4 sleeve ????"

I couldn't give a fiddlers fuck if people like mine or not

I, not fudged if people like the, or not but there are implications in later life if tattoos are distasteful for example if you had a penis tattooed on your neck or hands it could affect a job application. ???? I don't care if people like mine but I do select where I have them so I can cover them if it's appropriate to do so. By the way none of mine can be deemed as offensive lol

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

saw on telly a bloke who had lost his nan so had a tat with her ashes mixed in with the ink so she would always be with him I will admit it was a nice tattoo

Mines are all very close to my heart so I will never ever not love them

"Mines are all very close to my heart so I will never ever not love them "

galway

"saw on telly a bloke who had lost his nan so had a tat with her ashes mixed in with the ink so she would always be with him I will admit it was a nice tattoo"

I can't imagine that's hygienic

Common as muck had mine for 20 years but now every kid is getting them .more original not to have them now

By *ong riderMan  over a year ago

belfast

I read a hilarious article about a lad who felt isolated and I despair as he was prejudiced for not having tattoos. His ma got the tramp stamp and granny got a sleeve but looked at his bare arms with disgust. He couldn't get a job as his inked employers were suspicious at his lack of Chinese lettering and felt hw would not fit in amongst his bearded colleagues with their authentic native American markings etc

By *0shadesofashWoman  over a year ago

DUBLIN

I hav two big tattoos and both I designed myself and mean things to me and I couldn't give a rats arse if anyone else liked them or not I do and that's all that matters

"I hav two big tattoos and both I designed myself and mean things to me and I couldn't give a rats arse if anyone else liked them or not I do and that's all that matters "

That ass deserves a masterpiece

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

"saw on telly a bloke who had lost his nan so had a tat with her ashes mixed in with the ink so she would always be with him I will admit it was a nice tattoo

I can't imagine that's hygienic "

they sterilize the ashes before mixing

"Virtually everyone below a certain age seems to have them, which is about as mainstream as it gets.

I currently have 5, two have meaning, two don't but look pretty 6 is in the pipeline but a long way off as it's an 8-12 hour sit and I need to save like fury before it's drawn up.

"I currently have 5, two have meaning, two don't but look pretty 6 is in the pipeline but a long way off as it's an 8-12 hour sit and I need to save like fury before it's drawn up. "

You wouldn't do it in one sitting though would you?

"I currently have 5, two have meaning, two don't but look pretty 6 is in the pipeline but a long way off as it's an 8-12 hour sit and I need to save like fury before it's drawn up.

You wouldn't do it in one sitting though would you? "

Probably two!

I have 8 tattoos and love them all. Most people only get to see 2 of them but I have never had anyone say anything bad about my tattoos.

Virgin skin here!!!

"My mind varies between yes and no about getting some.

I find them less attractive in women now too unless really well done, well placed and match the body and style of the girl. "

If you have to think about it I'd say don't get one. Not quite like an accessory you can wear on and off.

"I'd love to get one but I'm a big scaredy cat. I thought all the male hipsters out there were into growing beards lately beards and tattoos it seems. Bleeding hipsters What do you call a person who is the opposite of a hipster. A man with no beard, no tattoos, that smells nice and has money? An anti-hipster? An un-hipster?

Whatever it is, count me in. I'm the furthest thing from a hipster one could imagine. "

That is such a hipster comment.

When Bookface is suggesting a tattoo craze, you know it's over.

» Add a new message to this topic