FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Is it racist?

Is it racist?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    4 weeks ago

Is asking where someone is from racist? Did it this morning, got called racist and was blocked.

When people hear my accent, I get asked where I'm from all the time. I don't think it's a big issue. Meet people from all around, and only ask when it's not obvious...also I have a thing for a particular nationality (my ex partner was this, just my thing).

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ilthyNightsCouple 4 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

It's not racist. It's a bit insensitive for it to be something you need to know straight away. Some will find it an issue and some wont

By *chochamberWoman 4 weeks ago

Limerick

On a global level, it cam be viewed as racist, because there is a presumption on the askers part, that the other person isn't local etc. It's asking them to explain their background.

However, it is part of itish culture to "place" people, and the next step in Irish culture is to identify who you know in common or some connection.

By *chochamberWoman 4 weeks ago

Limerick

Irish

By *asual777Man 4 weeks ago

i travel all over

Where are you from ? Isn’t .

Where are you really from ? Is IMHO

But you know , a lot of this is about context

By *ubadubdubWoman 4 weeks ago

Hereabouts

It may seem racist, but it's so Irish 😂

We kinda naturally ask it of everyone we don't know I think.

By *piritualBlackBWW1979Woman 4 weeks ago

Medway

"Is asking where someone is from racist? Did it this morning, got called racist and was blocked.

When people hear my accent, I get asked where I'm from all the time. I don't think it's a big issue. Meet people from all around, and only ask when it's not obvious...also I have a thing for a particular nationality (my ex partner was this, just my thing). "

It's not racist. People ask this question for different reasons, sometimes it's innocent curiosity and other times it's because they are insensitive idiots... Saying this as someone who gets asked this question a lot. I was born here but my skin colour prompts the question.

By *unandkinkMan 4 weeks ago

Cork

Spot on

By *azzo2024Man 4 weeks ago

Carlow

What is wrong with the world today. Are people really that sensitive? Words fail me

I usually use the accent as a key, if they speak with a London accent I assume they're English. I meet lots of people from all over, and as I'm a blow in myself, a good conversation usually involves the same questions first ( how long have you been here, do you like it here, what brought you here etc). I don't mind being asked, as it's usually an honest attempt at conversation. If you're trying to hook up with someone from a different race, I would have thought not being racist would be implied. Crazy me, I guess

By *ACOLCouple 4 weeks ago

limerick

I get ask that question on a daily basis, I feel that's a question of sharp ages, which means, it depends on the tone when you ask.

Also maybe you asked someone who has previously had a bad experience with others...

I encounter many Irish oldies who can be super obnoxious about ones ethnics... infact we never have a problem with people from the LS, but vanilla people,

Lina

By *og-ManMan 4 weeks ago

somewhere

"On a global level, it cam be viewed as racist, because there is a presumption on the askers part, that the other person isn't local etc. It's asking them to explain their background.

However, it is part of itish culture to "place" people, and the next step in Irish culture is to identify who you know in common or some connection.

"

This is so true ...even when abroad on holiday people try to connect you when you say where you're from

By *ostantinosMan 4 weeks ago

navan

They always ask me and for me is normal is not racist and to be honest I like it when they ask me because I feel proud to say that I'm greek haha

By *ilthyNightsCouple 4 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

https://youtu.be/RU_htgjlMVE?si=r9yDRL61Hi7k_SlS

By *ig_specsWoman 4 weeks ago

Kilbarrack

"I usually use the accent as a key, if they speak with a London accent I assume they're English. I meet lots of people from all over, and as I'm a blow in myself, a good conversation usually involves the same questions first ( how long have you been here, do you like it here, what brought you here etc). I don't mind being asked, as it's usually an honest attempt at conversation. If you're trying to hook up with someone from a different race, I would have thought not being racist would be implied. Crazy me, I guess"

Using the word "race" is bad.

The question 'what brought you here?' is nosy and rude. It's not your business.

Asking 'how many languages do you speak?' 'what's your mother tongue?' 'how did you learn English?' and so on are way better conversation starters without touching sensitive information.

Asking about visa status is a major no no. If someone asks me this kind of thing I just say "are you from immigration police?" Because it's rude AF.

I have been told "I am not white enough" because I come from a non-European country, although all my ancestors did.

Educate yourselves, people. Be better FFS

By *irgin1325Woman 4 weeks ago

Smileyberg 111

"https://youtu.be/RU_htgjlMVE?si=r9yDRL61Hi7k_SlS"

This is great 👍🏻

By *adger BrocMan 4 weeks ago

Co. Cork

Mostly for an Irish person to ask someone where they are from is showing genuine interest and is a polite conversation starter.

We often ask this equally of Irish people if we notice they have a different county accent let alone one from a different country.

Racists are the guys wearing masks and balaclavas and shouting anti immigration slogans or worse still burning buildings intended to house refugees and asylum seekers.

Let's not confuse genuine curiosity with anything more sinister.

Fáilte go hÉirinn

🤝🤗

🦡

By *ostantinosMan 4 weeks ago

navan

"Mostly for an Irish person to ask someone where they are from is showing genuine interest and is a polite conversation starter.

We often ask this equally of Irish people if we notice they have a different county accent let alone one from a different country.

Racists are the guys wearing masks and balaclavas and shouting anti immigration slogans or worse still burning buildings intended to house refugees and asylum seekers.

Fáilte go hÉirinn

🤝🤗

🦡"

By *piritualBlackBWW1979Woman 4 weeks ago

Medway

"I usually use the accent as a key, if they speak with a London accent I assume they're English. I meet lots of people from all over, and as I'm a blow in myself, a good conversation usually involves the same questions first ( how long have you been here, do you like it here, what brought you here etc). I don't mind being asked, as it's usually an honest attempt at conversation. If you're trying to hook up with someone from a different race, I would have thought not being racist would be implied. Crazy me, I guess

Asking 'how many languages do you speak?' 'what's your mother tongue?' 'how did you learn English?' and so on are way better conversation starters without touching sensitive information.

Asking about visa status is a major no no. If someone asks me this kind of thing I just say "are you from immigration police?" Because it's rude AF.

I have been told "I am not white enough" because I come from a non-European country, although all my ancestors did.

"

I agree with this but most people don't have this level of emotional intelligence to begin to think on this level.

"I usually use the accent as a key, if they speak with a London accent I assume they're English. I meet lots of people from all over, and as I'm a blow in myself, a good conversation usually involves the same questions first ( how long have you been here, do you like it here, what brought you here etc). I don't mind being asked, as it's usually an honest attempt at conversation. If you're trying to hook up with someone from a different race, I would have thought not being racist would be implied. Crazy me, I guess

"

Sounds like you're projecting a little bit here. Maybe I'm picking it up wrong, but the last line particularly sounds like you're talking to someone else.

By *indenMan 4 weeks ago

Naas which is South West of Dublin

"

Just so I understand, asking someone where they’re from isn’t acceptable, but asking someone “how many languages do you speak?' 'what's your mother tongue?' 'how did you learn English?” is perfectly fine?

Just to be clear, I don’t give two ends of a horses arse where anyone is from, and if you’re able to talk or type I’ll assume your race is human, other than that I couldn’t care less.

By *ionycusMan 4 weeks ago

Babylon

It's incredibly Irish. In our speak , we have ,

God be with you, answered, god and Mary be with you , followed by , god , and Mary and Joseph with you.

One of the most common phrases in Irish is Dia duit. This phrase is used in much the same way as the English word ‘hello’, but is more literally translated as ‘God bless you’. The traditional response to this greeting is Dia is Muire duit, meaning ‘God and Mary bless you’

We have it ingrained in us to not even realize we are asking someone where they are from,

Hi , what's your name, they answer and the next question is always, oh , alright, where are you from? , no malice , judgement it anything, just Irishness . It's the same with 10 , bye bye bye bye byes after a phone call

By *exyScientistsCouple 4 weeks ago

Castlebar

A lot of people say to me "Your not from around here" or that's not a local accent which obviously could apply to an Irish person...

Difficult when messaging to ask thos questions

By *ubadubdubWoman 4 weeks ago

Hereabouts

"It's incredibly Irish. In our speak , we have ,

God be with you, answered, god and Mary be with you , followed by , god , and Mary and Joseph with you.

One of the most common phrases in Irish is Dia duit. This phrase is used in much the same way as the English word ‘hello’, but is more literally translated as ‘God bless you’. The traditional response to this greeting is Dia is Muire duit, meaning ‘God and Mary bless you’

We have it ingrained in us to not even realize we are asking someone where they are from,

Hi , what's your name, they answer and the next question is always, oh , alright, where are you from? , no malice , judgement it anything, just Irishness . It's the same with 10 , bye bye bye bye byes after a phone call "

😂😂😂

You have it sussed

By *aseylee324Couple 4 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

"It's incredibly Irish. In our speak , we have ,

Hi , what's your name, they answer and the next question is always, oh , alright, where are you from? , no malice , judgement it anything, just Irishness . It's the same with 10 , bye bye bye bye byes after a phone call "

This is it, it's the same as asking how are you - we don't actually give a shit, it's just blather

By *eijaWoman 4 weeks ago

City Centre

I absolutely love meeting people from around the world and love hearing where people are from. I don't think it's racist one bit. It's all about context really..

I get asked it a lot as no thinks I am Irish!

B x

By *ionycusMan 4 weeks ago

Babylon

I always say " the top of my cock " , when someone asks me where do I come from.

By *rMotivator2.0Man 4 weeks ago

Donegal

Not racist at all that said person is just looking for something to be offended by...you dodged a bullet in my opinion

Kilbarrack

" Using the word "race" is bad. The question 'what brought you here?' is nosy and rude. It's not your business.

Just so I understand, asking someone where they’re from isn’t acceptable, but asking someone “how many languages do you speak?' 'what's your mother tongue?' 'how did you learn English?” is perfectly fine?

Just to be clear, I don’t give two ends of a horses arse where anyone is from, and if you’re able to talk or type I’ll assume your race is human, other than that I couldn’t care less."

As someone already had mentioned, context is absolutely relevant, and no question is fine without proper politeness and sensibility.

If you are able to read and empathise I'm sure you will be fine, avoid too much of private subjects and nobody will be offended

Kilbarrack

"

Sounds like you're projecting a little bit here. Maybe I'm picking it up wrong, but the last line particularly sounds like you're talking to someone else.

"

I'm not projecting, I am talking from personal experience.

The vast majority of Irish people do not have notions of migrants' etiquette, that's a fact. So all social interactions in Irish society would greatly benefit from a bit of education on the matter.

As another poster commented, most people cannot see things from a different POV.

"

The vast majority of Irish people do not have notions of migrants' etiquette, that's a fact. So all social interactions in Irish society would greatly benefit from a bit of education on the matter.

As another poster commented, most people cannot see things from a different POV."

In fairness, text is a terrible medium for conversation. You can usually pick up on visual clues as to what conversation might offend. As a previous poster said, I probably dodged a bullet.

By *og-ManMan 4 weeks ago

somewhere

"I absolutely love meeting people from around the world and love hearing where people are from. I don't think it's racist one bit. It's all about context really..

B x"

I've always assumed that you're Spanish

By *eralt80Man 4 weeks ago

cork

"I absolutely love meeting people from around the world and love hearing where people are from. I don't think it's racist one bit. It's all about context really..

B x

I've always assumed that you're Spanish "

Me too, that’ll teach us

Donegal

"

As another poster commented, most people cannot see things from a different POV."

I get what you're saying but what you have said could be said for the migrant aswell maybe more so as it's smart to educate yourself on the country you're coming to ? Plus I don't know how migrant comes into it ? Is it not a question you would ask anyone ? Are we getting a bit too touchy feely mountains out of molehills springs too mind

By *oo32Man 4 weeks ago

tipperary

"Mostly for an Irish person to ask someone where they are from is showing genuine interest and is a polite conversation starter.

Fáilte go hÉirinn

🤝🤗

🦡"

Well you've those racists....the extreme ones

Then youve the casual ones

Say stuff and then laugh...are we racist or are we having the craic ones..

My last gf friend was thai,the amount of shit that was said to her when she was on her own on a daily basis was sickening...from innuendos to just plain crazy shit they wouldn't dream of saying to anyone else

Asking someone where they are from isn't racist,if it's not obvious,it can be a conversation starter or an ice breaker

Kilbarrack

"I'm not projecting, I am talking from personal experience.

As another poster commented, most people cannot see things from a different POV.

I get what you're saying but what you have said could be said for the migrant aswell maybe more so as it's smart to educate yourself on the country you're coming to ? Plus I don't know how migrant comes into it ? Is it not a question you would ask anyone ? Are we getting a bit too touchy feely mountains out of molehills springs too mind"

That is exactly the point: migrant are educated on the matter. It doesn't make a native entitled to be invasive. We are different persons with the right to privacy if we so wish.

I repeat: context matters. It sounds like I am not even writing in English, what's difficult to understand here?

Donegal

"I'm not projecting, I am talking from personal experience.

I get what you're saying but what you have said could be said for the migrant aswell maybe more so as it's smart to educate yourself on the country you're coming to ? Plus I don't know how migrant comes into it ? Is it not a question you would ask anyone ? Are we getting a bit too touchy feely mountains out of molehills springs too mind

That is exactly the point: migrant are educated on the matter. It doesn't make a native entitled to be invasive. We are different persons with the right to privacy if we so wish.

I repeat: context matters. It sounds like I am not even writing in English, what's difficult to understand here? "

Obviously not if they're taking offense when asked where they are from ? It's a simple question lets not make a big song and dance about it ? If someone takes it as a native being invasive (whatever that is supposed to mean) that's their mentality not the person that asked the question.

You are writing in English its just a bit misconstrued if asking a simple question needs context what's the point in speaking at all...

By *indenMan 4 weeks ago

Naas which is South West of Dublin

"The vast majority of Irish people do not have notions of migrants' etiquette, that's a fact.

Migrant are educated on the matter.

It doesn't make a native entitled to be invasive. We are different persons with the right to privacy if we so wish.

"

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t entirely agree with the above.

And again, I’m confused, where is the line between showing interest in someone by asking a simple question and being invasive and effecting their right to privacy?

I’m genuinely not having a go here, I’m just interested to know, I’m trying to educate myself to avoid insulting someone in the future.

And what happens if someone who isn’t from Ireland asked someone else who isn’t from Ireland where they’re from, while in Ireland?

By *irgin1325Woman 4 weeks ago

Smileyberg 111

I don't think it's racist, maybe it's just a preference, everyone has the right to know who they meet, they have the right to choose. This is my opinion as a person who is a foreigner

» Add a new message to this topic