FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > The leaving cert

The leaving cert

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo32 OP   Man 4 weeks ago

tipperary

It was results day today....a lot of happy people that will have gotten whatever course they wanted to do,and equally a lot that didn't get what they wanted...

Also an awfull lot that dunno what they want to do

Is there too much emphasis on exams and figuring out what you want to be as young as 16/17/18

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ursecretmischiefCouple 4 weeks ago

The West

It's hard to know. It was definitely easier 20, 30, 40 yrs ago, to let things slide a bit and find yourself. You had time to figure things out.

Nowadays you need to make some good decisions early on in life to get places as you get older...otherwise it could be a harder slog. You certainly don't have to go to university, but you need to gain experience and life skills you can build on.

I remember listening to the THL Podcast and the shiteing around Hector spent years at before getting into TV and doing well for himself...It just doesn't feel like there is room for that freedom anymore...am I wrong?

tipperary

"It's hard to know. It was definitely easier 20, 30, 40 yrs ago, to let things slide a bit and find yourself. You had time to figure things out.

Nowadays you need to make some good decisions early on in life to get places as you get older...otherwise it could be a harder slog. You certainly don't have to go to university, but you need to gain experience and life skills you can build on.

I remember listening to the THL Podcast and the shiteing around Hector spent years at before getting into TV and doing well for himself...It just doesn't feel like there is room for that freedom anymore...am I wrong?"

No your prob right,tho is there more to do now,as in more courses now?

But equally is there more expected?

I remember picking a trade in 3rd year and I still went ahead/was forced to complete the leaving

Thank christ I gave it up,I'd be crippled by now

The West

"It's hard to know. It was definitely easier 20, 30, 40 yrs ago, to let things slide a bit and find yourself. You had time to figure things out.

I remember listening to the THL Podcast and the shiteing around Hector spent years at before getting into TV and doing well for himself...It just doesn't feel like there is room for that freedom anymore...am I wrong?

I remember picking a trade in 3rd year and I still went ahead/was forced to complete the leaving

"

I wouldn't knock trades. From our national school in the late 80s, by far, the wealthiest men now are all tradesmen! Most didn't finish school.

I think 3rd level education is a minefield. Parents and youth need to be very careful and understand that education is big business now.

All of our 3rd level institutions are full of courses, designed to extract cash, (preferably from foreign students that pay huge fees). So, taking time to syphon through all that is no harm.

tipperary

I wouldn't knock trades. From our national school in the late 80s, by far, the wealthiest men now are all tradesmen! Most didn't finish school.

I think 3rd level education is a minefield. Parents and youth need to be very careful and understand that education is big business now.

All of our 3rd level institutions are full of courses, designed to extract cash, (preferably from foreign students that pay huge fees). So, taking time to syphon through all that is no harm."

Def not knocking them...just saying I'm glad I gave up

Is it better then to wait a while and maybe work for a year or two

I suggested (only suggested) that the leaving cert wasn't a big deal as someone could still go to college/do courses as a mature student

By *ollybirdWoman 4 weeks ago

east Cork

I had a LC student getting results today. Have to wait till the CAO comes out to see what he get’s offered, if anything. He is my studious child.

My eldest got into college last year and quit his course at the end of first year as it wasn’t for him and is after taking up an apprenticeship which he is enjoying.

There is an avenue for everyone there. I was 16 doing my LC - way too young. I didn’t know what I wanted to do then and I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up 🙄🤣

By *og-ManMan 4 weeks ago

somewhere

I left school 3 months before my leaving cert

Hated school with a passion and got the apprenticeship that I always wanted

Qualified as an electrician and never worked as one as I got a completely different job where I still work 38 years later

Youngest got his leaving cert results today.

I was a bit sad when I realised it was the end of 30 years of creche,montessori,primary and secondary school for all my kids

Can't believe I have the car back to myself in the mornings

tipperary

So is there too much put on the leaving cert

Should there be more trade schools/colleges

I know people hiring still look for results....but do they actually check?

The West

"I had a LC student getting results today. Have to wait till the CAO comes out to see what he get’s offered, if anything. He is my studious child.

My eldest got into college last year and quit his course at the end of first year as it wasn’t for him and is after taking up an apprenticeship which he is enjoying.

There is an avenue for everyone there. I was 16 doing my LC - way too young. I didn’t know what I wanted to do then and I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up 🙄🤣

"

Good for him!

A lot of schools and the state are failing to promote skilled trades in schools. Some people are just cut out for them, and will do well.

As someone who visits large projects around the country regularly, it is noticeable the amount of young women in trades. Primarily as electricians. A good dry trade, union protected, where they'll earn a really good living.

tipperary

"I had a LC student getting results today. Have to wait till the CAO comes out to see what he get’s offered, if anything. He is my studious child.

"

Good stuff....if they are happy then that's good

What apprenticeship is he doing?

You can always pick something and change whenever you want

tipperary

Good for him!

A lot of schools and the state are failing to promote skilled trades in schools. Some people are just cut out for them, and will do well.

As someone who visits large projects around the country regularly, it is noticeable the amount of young women in trades. Primarily as electricians. A good dry trade, union protected, where they'll earn a really good living."

Very true

I've seen a good few welders and fitters in places

By *addycooolMan 4 weeks ago

Nearby

Leaving cert doesnt matter as much nowadays can always do courses and apprenticeships are the way to go these days give it a Few years there will be limited plumbers and electricians and mechanics because people making a living dancing on tiktok

By *otownkid1967Man 4 weeks ago

Portlaoise

I didn't do the leaving cert , just went into an apprenticeship. Thankfully I've never been out of work and enjoyed every minute so far. Unfortunately today there is far more emphasis on your points score to go forward to whatever career you choose. Not sure how I would have coped with the pressure.

By *ORBCouple 4 weeks ago

Dundalk

The equivalent up here would probably be A levels.

I sat mine in 1983 and missed out on going to college because of the actions of a really vindictive teacher who gave us all the wrong instructions in regard to the number of modules required to pass a particular subject.

The college were sympathetic as it was out of our control so they deferred my place for a year.

I spent the next year repeating the subject at a different school because I wouldn't go back to any institution that refused to sack a teacher for being a cunt and got the required grades.

The college were oversubscribed that year and gave away my place without even an apology or explanation. They had confirmed it just a month before but refused to honour it.

I walked away from all forms of education as a result and have never set foot in a classroom since or retrained because I lost all faith in the system.

I started work a week after the college reneged on the offer and made my own way in the world.

I've never put any pressure on my own kids in regards to education but 2 of them have degrees that are completely irrelevant in the roles they find themselves in currently.

By *ipstick KissesWoman 4 weeks ago

South Down

My youngest is just about to start a trade at college after taking a year out. I was a bit worried he'd not want to go back after a year earning money but he's keen as mustard and, as his course is only part time, he'll still be able to work almost the same hours in his job.

My oldest got his A level results last week and didn't get the grades he needed for any of his choices on UCAS. He's an incredibly gifted artist though and is currently in clearing for art school. He was always adamant that art was his creative outlet and that he didn't want it to be his job, but he's actually quite excited about studying art at university now that has become a real prospect. Maybe this was the permission he needed from himself all along to not do a STEM degree.

By *ilderMan 4 weeks ago

dublin

I enjoyed sitting my leaving cert so much I sat it twice . I was very young the first time though.

By *ixie and dixie2022Couple 4 weeks ago

villiage

Never did my leaving started labouring then started working for myself at 18 and still going.There were alot of families rared on a labourer wage.

The West

Something that's becoming quite popular in GB now is large contractors taking on apprenticeships not just for trades, but also for engineering, management and commercial roles.

A really great opportunity, you'll work for them and attend college part time, with their assistance.

It would be tough going, but when you're finished you have years of experience and education already behind you!

By *r_Insatiable666Man 4 weeks ago

Cork

From my experience, the leaving cert is pretty useless. I forgot my score after 1st year of college. I wiped my results off my CV by 3rd year I think.

What do you take away from the three years you prepare and do the leaving cert? Can you cook? Can you do your tax returns? Can you drive? How many people actually use their 3rd or 2nd language? My favourite subject: history taught me maybe 4 pages on WW1.

I respect my previous teachers and some of them helped nurture passion and good practices but I had to learn lots of things I use today elsewhere.

By *adger BrocMan 4 weeks ago

Co. Cork

I celebrated the 50th anniversary of completing my LC this year.

The results qualified me to go on to university but were of no other significance in my personal or working life and are mearly another milestone in terms of "life long learning".

The years spent in primary and secondary school help form our character and equip us with the ability to learn new things, a necessary skill we will use through out our lives.

It is wise to live by the maxim "every day is a school day".

By *eralt80Man 4 weeks ago

cork

I had a terrible leaving cert first time round but did much better second time and got a great college coarse out of it. Then I found out not only did I not like the coarse but I didn’t like college either so I left.

I had a summer job in a local bakery and while in college I kept up the weekend work which I enjoyed more than studying so I fell in there for a few months but I saw that it wasn’t going to lead anywhere and handed in my notice one Friday. A few weeks later I started my apprenticeship and still at it today.

By *panishRebelMan 4 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

Best thing about the leaving cert for me was the leaving. Yes the paper helps a little, but it never defined ones life. I feel for the kids lost in the worry and fear about results. It's to much a system of conformity. Be good boys and girls, follow the programme and you will be accepted into a job or a position in some company or other. That may seem practical, but it's also sad. Free spirits don't do well in school and there's a whole world outside the leaving cert for them to explore. The best part is the leaving.

tipperary

"Something that's becoming quite popular in GB now is large contractors taking on apprenticeships not just for trades, but also for engineering, management and commercial roles.

A really great opportunity, you'll work for them and attend college part time, with their assistance.

It would be tough going, but when you're finished you have years of experience and education already behind you! "

And will they want you to commit to them for a certain number of years after you qualify

One of the best pieces of advice I got as an apprentice was...while on price,go to the highest bidder..

They'll drop ya like a hot snot when things slow down

By *asuallyChilledMan 4 weeks ago

Drogheda

Leaving Certificate results day was a nightmare. Mother made me feel awful and I swore I would never let a child feel unhappy about a test result. The world is so much more, and people are so much more.

I hope everyone getting their results is happy and satisfied. Their worth is defined by so many other things than some state exams.

By *astelloWoman 4 weeks ago

Far far away

Major exponent of life long learning. My LC allowed me access to my first choice offer but family finances didn't allow. Took the long way around but got there in the end.

So many options now for people to progress in life, not necessarily the formal educational route.

» Add a new message to this topic