FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > National Anthems

National Anthems

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *astello OP   Woman 14 weeks ago

Far far away

Okay, the Euros are on, which piqued my interest in national anthems of various countries.

Down the You Tube rabbit hole. Listening to anthems in native language and translations.

Got me thinking, what does the national anthem mean to you.

Is there an anthem you like... Scottish and French so far.

Ps the butchery of the irish anthem into English is a sight to behold btw.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *og-ManMan 14 weeks ago

somewhere

Watched the Rugby earlier

The South African Anthem is beautiful

By *rRiosMan 14 weeks ago

dublin

French wins every time for me!

Far far away

Yes it's really interesting...we sing with fevour..but l often wonder can ppl remember what's the anthem about...

Far far away

Met a SA lad once was trying to explain Ireland call and the national anthem..he was confused...

By *oves_funMan 14 weeks ago

suburbs

1. Italy

2. Scotland

3. France

4. South Africa

5. Holland

By (user no longer on site) 14 weeks ago

The Italians have a great one to be fair. They're so emotional as well, so adds a little something.

Also, a lot of Irish don't know the words, never mind the meaning of Abhran na bFiann.

By *exyScientistsCouple 14 weeks ago

Castlebar

I love the Scottish one. Its just the melody. Don't know the words...

Far far away

"The Italians have a great one to be fair. They're so emotional as well, so adds a little something."

Just listened to it..it's actually a great anthem... simple repetitive lyrics...

Far far away

"Also, a lot of Irish don't know the words, never mind the meaning of Abhran na bFiann."

The Irish education system eh ..we were all taught in schools here..shame we lost its impact and understanding.

By *ittleBoPeepingWoman 14 weeks ago

Galway, Clare

"Also, a lot of Irish don't know the words, never mind the meaning of Abhran na bFiann.

The Irish education system eh ..we were all taught in schools here..shame we lost its impact and understanding. "

I've never been taught the words. My kids were in school but we weren't. Have to say it doesn't bother me..

By *og-ManMan 14 weeks ago

somewhere

Sinne Fianna Fáil,

Atá faoi gheall ag Eirinn,

Buíonn dár slua

Pretend to sing this bit as if I know the words

Seo dhíbh canáigh, Amhrán na bhFiann.

By *ealitybitesMan 14 weeks ago

Belfast

I've no idea what the words are to the Irish anthem in Irish or English are so obviously I know nothing about the meaning behind them.

I class myself as Irish but I haven't spoken Irish since 1979 as a 14 year old and despite going to a CBS, Irish history was a major no no and not a word of it taught.

I was raised in a nationalist community rather than a republican one so things such as the Irish language or the anthem were never high on the list of priorities.

I can't say I've really passed much notice on any of the anthems at the Euros.

Far far away

And yet it played at many events throughout our lives. I guess that's the intriguing thing, so an intrinsic part of identity (or deemed to be) yet many don't understand it or it's meaning. Maybe it's lost its origins as many are deemed a call to arms and therein lies it's origins. Having listened to the SA one there, definitely a different call to action there.

By *he KakapoMan 14 weeks ago

A nice rock

"And yet it played at many events throughout our lives. I guess that's the intriguing thing, so an intrinsic part of identity (or deemed to be) yet many don't understand it or it's meaning. Maybe it's lost its origins as many are deemed a call to arms and therein lies it's origins. Having listened to the SA one there, definitely a different call to action there.

"

To me it's part of a tradition for sport. But it means nothing to me beyond that.

I don't feel its part of my identity at all

By *panishRebelMan 14 weeks ago

Alicante Spain, and Cork City Ireland

"And yet it played at many events throughout our lives. I guess that's the intriguing thing, so an intrinsic part of identity (or deemed to be) yet many don't understand it or it's meaning. Maybe it's lost its origins as many are deemed a call to arms and therein lies it's origins. Having listened to the SA one there, definitely a different call to action there.

"

It's never been easier to learn the meaning and history. The power of the web is there for any who want to learn it or just read about it.

Yet who wants to?

I personally feel this lack of curiosity is a shame. But people are so overloaded with watching things they mostly have no more curiosity left.

I learnt just the first verse in school. I later looked up and learned the rest of the verses.

Why did they stop at the first verse in school, and not given the context and history of who wrote it and why?

That is also a shame.

By *ursecretmischiefCouple 14 weeks ago

The West

Can't stand the Scottish anthem.

French anthem is a masterpiece!

Love it, especially in a packed stadium!

By *inkywife1981Couple 14 weeks ago

A town near you

I like the Italian anthem but now there out I also like the French anthem

Far far away

It's never been easier to learn the meaning and history. The power of the web is there for any who want to learn it or just read about it.

Yet who wants to?

I personally feel this lack of curiosity is a shame. But people are so overloaded with watching things they mostly have no more curiosity left.

I learnt just the first verse in school. I later looked up and learned the rest of the verses.

Why did they stop at the first verse in school, and not given the context and history of who wrote it and why?

That is also a shame."

Good point. Natural curiosity have definitely lowered. The advent of clickable knowledge, leaves little time for pondering.

And yet it also also be the catalyst for huge innovation.

Love our anthem, people forget so many died for it to be played and not the neighbours one. Really hate when at football games and people can't respect it, face the tri-colour and wait till it's finished, but that's just me ????????

By *ind PaddyMan 13 weeks ago

South County Dublin

I like our anthem. Can't stand Ireland call.

By *aid backMan 13 weeks ago

by a lake with my rod out

Ireland's call is a abomination

By *scouple07Couple 13 weeks ago

louth, Ireland

The Welsh Anthem in a packed stadium is spine tinglingly amazing

By *otownkid1967Man 13 weeks ago

Portlaoise

The Welsh and Scottish anthems are something else when sang in Cardiff Arms Park and Murray field.

By *on Juan the MADridMan 13 weeks ago

Lisbon/ North England/ Wales/ Madrid/

I like mine, pity that is just music with no lyrics.. Hopefully we could sound on Sunday

» Add a new message to this topic