FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Halloween (apologies, bit long winded this one)

Halloween (apologies, bit long winded this one)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    46 weeks ago

Yeah I know it’s a bit late for Halloween. How did your Halloween go? Personally mine began with me needing to see my GP. Rang for an appointment with my GP at 8:30 am, finally seen him at 16:50pm. After I brief examination I was told to go straight to A&E in Craigavon with a suspected acute appendicitis arriving at 6:00pm on Halloween night.

The doctor never gave me a cover letter or even emailed anything to the hospital to say I was coming. After a 30 minute wait I seen a nurse to have my Obs checked. Blood pressure, temperature, heart rate and oxygen level. This happened ever 6 hours. I finally seen a Doctor the next morning at 9:00 after a 15 hour wait.

I was initially treated for Gaul stone after seeing a junior Doctor. After some time in an hallway on a reclining chair with a drip of antibiotics and pain killers going I seen a junior surgeon at 10:30, the treatment continued for Gaul stones, though I said the pain was much lower down and it was my appendix that was the problem. Again after sometime I had an x-ray for Gaul stones. Shortly afterwards been admitted to one of the wards. Managed to get something to eat at 6:00pm that day.

Afterwards I was told I was NBM because I needed a CT. Ended up waiting 31 or so before getting the the scan. At this point I was really sure what day of the week it was never mind anything else. In total I seen 5 different surgeons and 2 Doctors, countless nurses before finally be operated on in the early hours of Thursday morning.

My appendix was perforated and the tip, full of gangrene and affectively dead. The operation took somewhere in the region of four hours. It seem to be going well until my oxygen levels dropped from 97 to 82, dangerously low apparently, I mean like who knew.

Was finally moved back to the ward on Oxygen, spent 3/4 days roughly on Oxygen before getting a further CT scan with showed I’d got a chest infection. Finally got the all clear by the hospital on Tuesday so that I could leave with discharge paperwork in hand.

Was your Halloween better than mine?

Do you think the current system that in place throughout the NHS works? Should I consider get a new GP? Do we all need to get some sort of first aid training? Personally the staff in Craigavon hospital were fantastic. Honestly I do know how close to death I actually was, don’t have any idea of that to be honest.

Apologies for the spelling mistakes and lack of information I places. One day seemed to blur into another. I’m currently back at home recovering, hopefully it goes without saying not meeting anyone at the moment. Apologies for not replying to messages.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ofusplusCouple 46 weeks ago

Limerick

Hope you're feeling better soon OP

"Hope you're feeling better soon OP "

Thank you.

By *ake_Taxi.ieCouple 46 weeks ago

somewhere

You’d still be waiting if you were in Southern Ireland under the HSE!

Get well Soon!

"You’d still be waiting if you were in Southern Ireland under the HSE!

Get well Soon! "

Thanks, didn’t realise things were as bad in the South. Sad to hear.

By *antra MassageMan 46 weeks ago

Wicklow

All your medics, in the circumstances did their best. You got through it, as luck was on your side.

The NHS has now reached the level of the HSE, unfortunately.

By *adger BrocMan 46 weeks ago

Co. Cork

Get well Soon! "

Or maybe under the HSE his GP would have contacted the hospital in advance, they would have diagnosed appendicitis and he would have been operated on asap.

The system may not be perfect but it does work most of the time, just like the NHS.

Wishing you a speedy recovery OP

By *ilderMan 46 weeks ago

dublin

Get well Soon!

Or maybe under the HSE his GP would have contacted the hospital in advance, they would have diagnosed appendicitis and he would have been operated on asap.

The system may not be perfect but it does work most of the time, just like the NHS.

Wishing you a speedy recovery OP

"

Yikes that's rough op! Get well soon.

I was told to go to a and E in Dublin by my gp (back in 2020, zero craic). He emailed me a referral letter and I emailed it to the hospital when I was checking in. Thankfully that did help but I was still there for most of a day for tests and monitoring. No operation Thankfully but still on meds since that day.

I hope you make a full recovery!

By *anther PurrrsWoman 46 weeks ago

the Shadows Purrring or Roaring

Wow what mayhem that was op. Glad to hear your on the mend op x

By *ezoMan 46 weeks ago

The Kingdom

Sounds like you had one scary Halloween, and possibly people dressed as doctors for Halloween if your GP would not even forward your details to the hospital.

While mine was a disappointment it was no where near as bad as yours.

By (user no longer on site) 46 weeks ago

Hope you're on the mend OP and feeling better

By *ind PaddyMan 46 weeks ago

South County Dublin

Hope you are on the mend op. Look after yourself.

I've been having chest infections for the last 8 weeks and been on 5 courses of antibiotics.

Tuesday 31st October my doctor refer me to a & e. She gave me a letter. Got to hospital and was put in isolation unit they did all the blood tests which came back clear.

I was discharged later that afternoon and glad to be out. They tested a sample of my phlegm and it came back I have a bacteria infection in my lungs.

I am on really strong antibiotics which is clearing it up. I've 2 more days antibiotics to take and hopefully cleared.

The staff in hospital were very good, it was Tuesday after bank holiday and a & e very busy. My doctor was very good as well.

Your health is your wealth.

Thanks to everyone who’s wish me well, hopefully next Halloween will be better than this one.

By *astelloWoman 46 weeks ago

Far far away

Get well soon. Hope you're feeling better. Hse is equally as bad. 5 years waiting for an op. Im probably be dead before I get it.

» Add a new message to this topic