FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > do people now look younger?

do people now look younger?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *southguy OP   Man 50 weeks ago

D18

This is anecdotal but if I see pictures of someone from years ago and compare it to someone of the same age today.

The person that is that age today always looks younger.

Even disregarding changes in hair and fashion.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ilthyNightsCouple 50 weeks ago

East / North, Cork

Yes! Skincare and more knowledge of healthy living helps a lot I think.

By *electableicecreamMan 50 weeks ago

The West

Photography has improved a lot. It's incredible what the onboard processing on a modern phone can do now.

By *southguy OP   Man 50 weeks ago

D18

"Photography has improved a lot. It's incredible what the onboard processing on a modern phone can do now."

Even in person I should say lol

By *ouble Trouble 1000Couple 50 weeks ago

ireland

Definetly ,I know people look after themselves alot more these days but I think life in general was alot tougher years ago and it took its toll on people's health and appearance .

By *ealitybitesMan 50 weeks ago

Belfast

I've seen pics of people I know that were taken when they were in their 20s and 30s and they look so much older due to fashion and hairstyles.

The pics made them look as though they were in their 40s or 50s and now that they are actually in their 60s they look much younger.

I'm older now than my grandparents were when I was a child and there's no comparison. My grandfather dressed in a shirt and tie and a cardigan every day and wore a flat cap when he went out.

He seemed ancient back then.

By *hinbutlong1Man 50 weeks ago

Trim

Even though hairstyles and fashion have changed I remember as teen a 50 year old man looked a lot older than your average 50 year old now…

By *arrot_in_a_boxCouple 50 weeks ago

kinda dublin

Old people look a lot younger now, but young people look a lot older. So everyone looks like they're in the 20s or 30s regardless of age.

Probably something to do with the prevalence of social media, fashion changes, and people looking after their appearance/health.

By *chochamberWoman 50 weeks ago

Limerick

People look after their teeth, hygiene and hair a lot more.

Women arnt thrown on the garbage heap in their mid 40s.

People are allowed to maintain a certain level of sexuality which would have been frowned upon in the past, they can continue to be attractive and welcome attention.

Knowledge about middle age health, food hygiene and general awareness of personal healthcare responsibility is growing.

But mostly it's down to good hairdressing and improved hair colouring and dentistry.

By (user no longer on site) 50 weeks ago

I don't know about this people looking after themselves more now idea. Obesity is far higher now than it used to be.

We used to say Americans were overweight but the Irish are almost as bad now as far as I can see.

By *affa31Woman 50 weeks ago

Galway

"I don't know about this people looking after themselves more now idea. Obesity is far higher now than it used to be.

We used to say Americans were overweight but the Irish are almost as bad now as far as I can see. "

The wrinkles get plumped out when you’re fat

By *oghunter33Woman 50 weeks ago

on the hill NordWest of

Funny nobody mentioned make up yet.

By *ORDERMANMan 50 weeks ago

wrexham

Let's not forget us oldies are reaping benefit of the age of teens back in 60s and 70s...in that we stay youngish through fashion and music..

By *og-ManMan 50 weeks ago

somewhere

Fair point about how old our grandparents looked

I'm 58 now which is older than my grandad when I was young and yet he seemed ancient

My parents are in their mid 80's and still look fairly young in fairness

By *ewrideMan 50 weeks ago

KK

Yes. Nutrition is better, people smoke less, drink less, use sun protection more, attend their doctor more, and and under less physical stress day to day.

"Yes. Nutrition is better, people smoke less, drink less, use sun protection more, attend their doctor more, and and under less physical stress day to day."

And also take less Excercise

By *ewrideMan 50 weeks ago

KK

"Yes. Nutrition is better, people smoke less, drink less, use sun protection more, attend their doctor more, and and under less physical stress day to day.

And also take less Excercise "

No. They get more and better quality exercise on average

By *ofusplusCouple 50 weeks ago

Limerick

Women exercise more now than before. In the past, they were generally mothers who stayed at home and let themselves go. My mother rarely went for a walk, nevermind do any real form of exercise.

Women nowadays can be sexy and classy at any age

By *j47Man 50 weeks ago

limerick

"I don't know about this people looking after themselves more now idea. Obesity is far higher now than it used to be.

We used to say Americans were overweight but the Irish are almost as bad now as far as I can see. "

Is it though or is just to the fore of the latest drive by health professionals to promote better lifestyles and eating habbits. On todays BMI scales Id probally score obesse even though I am only carrying a few pounds

Maybe a discussion for another thread

By *loria_cdxTV/TS 50 weeks ago

all over

[Removed by poster at 09/10/23 13:01:26]

By *loria_cdxTV/TS 50 weeks ago

all over

I see nobody has brought up the ol fillers/Botox yet

"Yes. Nutrition is better, people smoke less, drink less, use sun protection more, attend their doctor more, and and under less physical stress day to day.

No. They get more and better quality exercise on average"

Some people do but I doubt the general population do. Back in the day people worked outdoors a lot more and there weren't as many cars around so people walked more.

Going by all the comments here everyone should be fitter and healthier but that's not what I see on the streets when I'm out and about.

The West

Oil of Olay did wonders for the boomer's.

By *elfastStudMan 50 weeks ago

Belfast

"This is anecdotal but if I see pictures of someone from years ago and compare it to someone of the same age today.

The person that is that age today always looks younger.

Even disregarding changes in hair and fashion.

"

This is definitely true. It’s a very strange trend, I’ve not seen anybody explain it before

By *elfastStudMan 50 weeks ago

Belfast

"Women exercise more now than before. In the past, they were generally mothers who stayed at home and let themselves go. My mother rarely went for a walk, nevermind do any real form of exercise.

Women nowadays can be sexy and classy at any age "

They sure can.. WOW

Limerick

[Removed by poster at 09/10/23 14:14:08]

Limerick

Some people do but I doubt the general population do. Back in the day people worked outdoors a lot more and there weren't as many cars around so people walked more.

Going by all the comments here everyone should be fitter and healthier but that's not what I see on the streets when I'm out and about.

"

I think quality of food has contributed more to obesity than a lack of exercise. People ate real food back then. Now we have fast food and other convenience food.

Agree on the cars and people being outdoors more

Food is a far greater contributer to obesity than a lack of exercise.

By *og-ManMan 50 weeks ago

somewhere

"Oil of Olay did wonders for the boomer's."

Was it not Ulay

The West

"Oil of Olay did wonders for the boomer's.

Was it not Ulay "

Rebranded in 1999

I think quality of food has contributed more to obesity than a lack of exercise. People ate real food back then. Now we have fast food and other convenience food.

Agree on the cars and people being outdoors more

Food is a far greater contributer to obesity than a lack of exercise."

I think both go hand in hand but I do agree with you about food.

From looking at old photos the two main differences I see are that people were not chubby / overweight 50 years ago. the above reasons all seem to be true, more exercise less processed foods. the other observation I had is hairstyles, dye and coloring wouldn't have been as popular and men balded very slowly and used combovers which really aged them. these days men shave their head after accepting they are balding quite quickly

» Add a new message to this topic