FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Sport related

Sport related

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ontbesillywrapyourwilly OP   Man 51 weeks ago

Tipperary

Your kids play GAA and soccer. If both sports clash re matches and can’t be changed , what do you usually choose for your kids or does it vary between GAA and Soccer?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *riendly_fun_guyMan 51 weeks ago

Dublin

"Your kids play GAA and soccer. If both sports clash re matches and can’t be changed , what do you usually choose for your kids or does it vary between GAA and Soccer? "

Been doing the balancing act between rugby, hurling and football for a good few years, rather than pick for them would try and steer them in a direction but mostly alternate cam depend on what else is on and age

By (user no longer on site) 51 weeks ago

"Your kids play GAA and soccer. If both sports clash re matches and can’t be changed , what do you usually choose for your kids or does it vary between GAA and Soccer? "

Honestly let the kid choose, as someone who came up in a time of the tug of war for attention just as rugby started showing its ugly head! If anyone questions or gives a warning over the decision, make sure to remind them they are kids and that sport is meant to be fun. Too many idiot adults trying to rectify their own failed careers haha

By *ursecretmischiefCouple 51 weeks ago

The West

We've not had this issue yet. Sports don't seem to clash. More so stuff like swimming, scouts, athletics etc.

If they are young, like under 12yrs old and its happening regular, I'd rotate between them.

If the child is older, I'd let them choose.

By *hesthair05Man 51 weeks ago

tallaght clondalkin lucan area

"Your kids play GAA and soccer. If both sports clash re matches and can’t be changed , what do you usually choose for your kids or does it vary between GAA and Soccer?

Can agree with this i juggle 3-4 activities over weekend too..

Been doing the balancing act between rugby, hurling and football for a good few years, rather than pick for them would try and steer them in a direction but mostly alternate cam depend on what else is on and age "

By *razySexyCoolCorkWoman 51 weeks ago

Cork

I used to have this issue for years between GAA and rugby.

You'd never hear a word about missing rugby but the GAA trainers used to be ridiculous. I had to pull one or two aside and tell them to butt out. They didn't want the kids playing rugby and giving some of their time to it. This was in Jan/March too so it was preseason training

Dublin

It doesn’t just depend on the sport or the area..

it’s a basic question of demand and the supply

If a sports team has more than enough players and there is competition for places then the coaches have it easier to put pressure on a parent about being there.

If on the other there is always a shortage of players and a kid is needed the coach will of course make it as inviting as possible to kee kids involved

All amateur sport coaches are only in it for their own credibility as soon as you’re child gets an injury i.e acL or something like that it’s on to the next Johnny

The West

"I used to have this issue for years between GAA and rugby.

You'd never hear a word about missing rugby but the GAA trainers used to be ridiculous. I had to pull one or two aside and tell them to butt out. They didn't want the kids playing rugby and giving some of their time to it. This was in Jan/March too so it was preseason training "

Did you ask the rugby coach why they never said a word about your child missing?...That would be a bit of sign for me, tbh.

As said above, if they had big numbers or didn't rate the child, they might no care less if they showed. A coach in a different sport might need them, might see their potential and doesn't want to lose them.

It will rarely be as simple as them just being chilled out!

By *2357Woman 51 weeks ago

clonmel tipp

Well we had it here but it was between gaa and showjumping. I was travelling the country with one and then local matches with the other. 2 for gaa and 1 with showjumping. The 2 for gaa had to make a choice at times. We lefted it up to them what they wanted but it got hard when 2 were picked to play for their county.

Cork

You'd never hear a word about missing rugby but the GAA trainers used to be ridiculous. I had to pull one or two aside and tell them to butt out. They didn't want the kids playing rugby and giving some of their time to it. This was in Jan/March too so it was preseason training

Did you ask the rugby coach why they never said a word about your child missing?...That would be a bit of sign for me, tbh.

As said above, if they had big numbers or didn't rate the child, they might no care less if they showed. A coach in a different sport might need them, might see their potential and doesn't want to lose them.

It will rarely be as simple as them just being chilled out!"

He was always playing on both teams so there was no issue with ability.

He was getting enough fitness training between the two. He got the skills training on the nights he was at each sport. Matches got priority as they were important and luckily the matches never clashed.

I felt the rugby coaches were more understanding that children had different hobbies and he was showing as much commitment as he could to both.

By *aptain Caveman41Man 51 weeks ago

Home

To all the people on here moaning about coaches how many of you give up your free time to coach the children.

"To all the people on here moaning about coaches how many of you give up your free time to coach the children."

I’m not moaning about coaches what I’m saying is it’s for their credibility not the children yes they turn up in hail rain sleet or snow

But if you’re Johnny gets injured it’s on to the next Johnny I’ve seen it at first hand were clubs bury their heads in the sand as soon as a child gets injured hoping the parents foot the bill no contact from coach or club when that happens

Home

"To all the people on here moaning about coaches how many of you give up your free time to coach the children.

I’m not moaning about coaches what I’m saying is it’s for their credibility not the children yes they turn up in hail rain sleet or snow

But if you’re Johnny gets injured it’s on to the next Johnny I’ve seen it at first hand were clubs bury their heads in the sand as soon as a child gets injured hoping the parents foot the bill no contact from coach or club when that happens"

when you give up your free time you can then complain how the team is picked

By *ot so needyMan 51 weeks ago

Galway

"To all the people on here moaning about coaches how many of you give up your free time to coach the children.

But if you’re Johnny gets injured it’s on to the next Johnny I’ve seen it at first hand were clubs bury their heads in the sand as soon as a child gets injured hoping the parents foot the bill no contact from coach or club when that happens when you give up your free time you can then complain how the team is picked "

No one mentioned anything about how the team is picked. But in fairness the membership and insurance paid in the gaa gives you pathetic cover and clubs can't afford to pay the bills for every injury private health insurance is the best cover which I know everyone can't afford.

I have been involved in training teams for the last 20 years from senior junior and every year I also am involved with at least 1 juvenile team. I will admit some coaches are in it for their own benefit their kids are first picked but I will always try to be fair to every kid and have had arguments with them when I won't start their kids.

But if you’re Johnny gets injured it’s on to the next Johnny I’ve seen it at first hand were clubs bury their heads in the sand as soon as a child gets injured hoping the parents foot the bill no contact from coach or club when that happens when you give up your free time you can then complain how the team is picked "

You seem to be missing my point it’s about the glory for the coach not the children and when a child gets injured the coach and the club just walk away

Personally I’ve never interfered with any selection of any team or coaches choice sometimes parents get the hump if their Johnny isn’t picked I’ve seen that too at first hand but that’s not the point I’m making

And too answer your question yes I have and not in just one sport that’s where my first post comes in that’s why I think like I do now and why I’m a spectator now because I have seen it as I said I’ve traveled all over this country and other countries with kids an believe me when I say coaches don’t honestly give a flying fook about your little Johnny

By *electableicecreamMan 51 weeks ago

The West

Do you think it would help if all the little fellas didn't have the same name?

Galway

"Do you think it would help if all the little fellas didn't have the same name?"

All called after Johnny sextoy

By *astelloWoman 51 weeks ago

Far far away

Both GAA and soccer are played here. Both sports started at a young age. But unfortunately its now a 7 day a week activity with training and matches and gym work.

I ask him what he wants to focus on.. Being from Kerry.. Only 1 answer prevailed.

The West

"Both GAA and soccer are played here. Both sports started at a young age. But unfortunately its now a 7 day a week activity with training and matches and gym work.

I ask him what he wants to focus on.. Being from Kerry.. Only 1 answer prevailed. "

Politics?

"Do you think it would help if all the little fellas didn't have the same name?"

No it wouldn’t coz if Johnny is picked no one can complain

"Both GAA and soccer are played here. Both sports started at a young age. But unfortunately its now a 7 day a week activity with training and matches and gym work.

I ask him what he wants to focus on.. Being from Kerry.. Only 1 answer prevailed. "

Now that’s a whole new thread training kids like they are professional athletes from six up takes the enjoyment out of it for them sad really

By *adger BrocMan 51 weeks ago

Co. Cork

He was getting enough fitness training between the two. He got the skills training on the nights he was at each sport. Matches got priority as they were important and luckily the matches never clashed.

I felt the rugby coaches were more understanding that children had different hobbies and he was showing as much commitment as he could to both."

It was ever the same in my own day and that of my kids.

The rugby coaches were happy to see the kids turn up and enjoy the sport. The GAA guys were always chasing medals.

By *ub23Man 51 weeks ago

wandering

Keeping an eye out for the gaa moms

I felt the rugby coaches were more understanding that children had different hobbies and he was showing as much commitment as he could to both.

The rugby coaches were happy to see the kids turn up and enjoy the sport. The GAA guys were always chasing medals."

Sorry badger have to disagree it also goes on in rugby

By *adger BrocMan 51 weeks ago

Co. Cork

Not in my experience

"All amateur sport coaches are only in it for their own credibility as soon as you’re child gets an injury i.e acL or something like that it’s on to the next Johnny "

That’s a ridiculous comment and definitely comes from someone who doesn’t volunteer anytime

"All amateur sport coaches are only in it for their own credibility as soon as you’re child gets an injury i.e acL or something like that it’s on to the next Johnny

That’s a ridiculous comment and definitely comes from someone who doesn’t volunteer anytime "

I think I explained that above cliff

Galway

The rugby coaches were happy to see the kids turn up and enjoy the sport. The GAA guys were always chasing medals.

Sorry badger have to disagree it also goes on in rugby "

In my opinion it is worse in rugby, The strength and conditioning for under age in gaa is mainly done using their body weight in rugby alot of teams are doing weights. And after u12 it is competitive before that every player is to get the same game time and no scores to be recorded

"

You seem to be missing my point it’s about the glory for the coach not the children and when a child gets injured the coach and the club just walk away

Personally I’ve never interfered with any selection of any team or coaches choice sometimes parents get the hump if their Johnny isn’t picked I’ve seen that too at first hand but that’s not the point I’m making

And too answer your question yes I have and not in just one sport that’s where my first post comes in that’s why I think like I do now and why I’m a spectator now because I have seen it as I said I’ve traveled all over this country and other countries with kids an believe me when I say coaches don’t honestly give a flying fook about your little Johnny

"

I’m sorry now but I coach and have coached rugby for years, both boys and girls. What glory is there for me in 15 year olds winning, I have my medals won as a boy and a man, I don’t need to live vicariously through anyone. I coach because it’s about giving back, it’s hard work between parents and complying with all the requirements on us now. I would be more than willing to let someone else do it but surprisingly not too many volunteers.

Galway

"

I’m sorry now but I coach and have coached rugby for years, both boys and girls. What glory is there for me in 15 year olds winning, I have my medals won as a boy and a man, I don’t need to live vicariously through anyone. I coach because it’s about giving back, it’s hard work between parents and complying with all the requirements on us now. I would be more than willing to let someone else do it but surprisingly not too many volunteers. "

Well said the amount of vetting and safeguarding courses and training courses needed to train any underage team is crazy.

"

I’m sorry now but I coach and have coached rugby for years, both boys and girls. What glory is there for me in 15 year olds winning, I have my medals won as a boy and a man, I don’t need to live vicariously through anyone. I coach because it’s about giving back, it’s hard work between parents and complying with all the requirements on us now. I would be more than willing to let someone else do it but surprisingly not too many volunteers. "

So you’re telling me that you don’t want to be the coach of the senior team one day I never said that anyone is living vicariously through anyone and I’ve won my fair share of medals as a youth but as a volunteer I’ve also seen kids reduced to tears by coaches and officials and yes I’ve voluntarily gave up my time till I seen what was going on and tried to raise it but as always happens you’re labeled a trouble maker

Galway

"

I’m sorry now but I coach and have coached rugby for years, both boys and girls. What glory is there for me in 15 year olds winning, I have my medals won as a boy and a man, I don’t need to live vicariously through anyone. I coach because it’s about giving back, it’s hard work between parents and complying with all the requirements on us now. I would be more than willing to let someone else do it but surprisingly not too many volunteers.

So you’re telling me that you don’t want to be the coach of the senior team one day I never said that anyone is living vicariously through anyone and I’ve won my fair share of medals as a youth but as a volunteer I’ve also seen kids reduced to tears by coaches and officials and yes I’ve voluntarily gave up my time till I seen what was going on and tried to raise it but as always happens you’re labeled a trouble maker "

I've trained senior teams while also training underage. Being at the pitch 3 nights a week from 5.45 until 10pm. going to at least 4 matches a week and doing it because I enjoy it. If I can give something back to a game that was good to me I always will. Now I make a living from sport but still always do at least 2 evenings a week voluntary.

"

So you’re telling me that you don’t want to be the coach of the senior team one day I never said that anyone is living vicariously through anyone and I’ve won my fair share of medals as a youth but as a volunteer I’ve also seen kids reduced to tears by coaches and officials and yes I’ve voluntarily gave up my time till I seen what was going on and tried to raise it but as always happens you’re labeled a trouble maker "

Most coaches of the seniors in a club are paid and in all honesty I wouldn’t be good enough to do it, so I have no interest in it. Any experience I have had of kids crying in my team always stemmed from unrealistic pressure from a parent who thinks they have the next superstar. Rugby for 99.9% of kids will only ever be for fun yet on every team I ever trained there was always one if not two whose parents thought they would play for Ireland. That’s where the pressure comes from and then the tears because the child isn’t capable of what is expected.

Any coach who made a child cry would have to be reported to the child protection officer in the club and should be removed

By *ofusplusCouple 51 weeks ago

Limerick

Usually the coaches are aware of clashes and reschedule. often the soccer coaches are also the GAA coaches so its not an issue.

But yeah soccer is starting up again but the GAA isn't finished yet

"

So you’re telling me that you don’t want to be the coach of the senior team one day I never said that anyone is living vicariously through anyone and I’ve won my fair share of medals as a youth but as a volunteer I’ve also seen kids reduced to tears by coaches and officials and yes I’ve voluntarily gave up my time till I seen what was going on and tried to raise it but as always happens you’re labeled a trouble maker

I've trained senior teams while also training underage. Being at the pitch 3 nights a week from 5.45 until 10pm. going to at least 4 matches a week and doing it because I enjoy it. If I can give something back to a game that was good to me I always will. Now I make a living from sport but still always do at least 2 evenings a week voluntary."

As I’ve already posted I’ve been volunteering in sports a lot of years now I’ve been all around this country with kids and other countries in Europe & America different sports as previously posted

Done all the vetting and there’s nothing more enjoyable for me to see a child enjoy and have fun but when you see a child crying because a coach gives a roar at him/her then it gets you thinking

Is this really what I’ve given up my time for too see a child cry be it on a pitch or in other sports of which I’ve also seen then for me that’s why I walked away with the mind set that I have

Can I ask everyone that has posted is the child liaison officer anywhere near one of your clubs on training evenings

I hazard a guess at no

The West

What does a child liaison officer have to do with scheduling conflicts?

Galway

"

I've trained senior teams while also training underage. Being at the pitch 3 nights a week from 5.45 until 10pm. going to at least 4 matches a week and doing it because I enjoy it. If I can give something back to a game that was good to me I always will. Now I make a living from sport but still always do at least 2 evenings a week voluntary.

As I’ve already posted I’ve been volunteering in sports a lot of years now I’ve been all around this country with kids and other countries in Europe & America different sports as previously posted

Done all the vetting and there’s nothing more enjoyable for me to see a child enjoy and have fun but when you see a child crying because a coach gives a roar at him/her then it gets you thinking

Is this really what I’ve given up my time for too see a child cry be it on a pitch or in other sports of which I’ve also seen then for me that’s why I walked away with the mind set that I have

Can I ask everyone that has posted is the child liaison officer anywhere near one of your clubs on training evenings

I hazard a guess at no "

Sometimes yes but they can't be there at every training. I agree there are coaches who are not fit but most are there for the right reason.

Look I stand by my first post it’s my experience of volunteering and consoling kids and what I’ve posted is without racist remarks made towards kids not only from kids from parents aswell and again not only on a pitch

Not a liaison officer in sight normal their just a name in a book for clubs to meet requirements

"What does a child liaison officer have to do with scheduling conflicts? "

Again another useless post keep them coming icebox

Home

But if you’re Johnny gets injured it’s on to the next Johnny I’ve seen it at first hand were clubs bury their heads in the sand as soon as a child gets injured hoping the parents foot the bill no contact from coach or club when that happens when you give up your free time you can then complain how the team is picked

"

that is where you are 100% wrong. I trained under age teams as a coach and I got to see them you lads grow, develop and mature into fine you men and I'm extremely proud of each and every one of them. What people see from the outsider isn't what goes on in the team and coaches. Until you become a Coach and train a team you will never understand.

By *amson4DelilahCouple 51 weeks ago

ballina

At the start of the year I have daughter prioritise what her most important team is & write it down. she's 17 & on 4 teams...so when push comes to shove its there in black & white where her priority lies so no arguments..

Dublin

"At the start of the year I have daughter prioritise what her most important team is & write it down. she's 17 & on 4 teams...so when push comes to shove its there in black & white where her priority lies so no arguments.."

wow fair play to her for managing to keep up four and great idea to have her make her own list of priorities

But if you’re Johnny gets injured it’s on to the next Johnny I’ve seen it at first hand were clubs bury their heads in the sand as soon as a child gets injured hoping the parents foot the bill no contact from coach or club when that happens when you give up your free time you can then complain how the team is picked

that is where you are 100% wrong. I trained under age teams as a coach and I got to see them you lads grow, develop and mature into fine you men and I'm extremely proud of each and every one of them. What people see from the outsider isn't what goes on in the team and coaches. Until you become a Coach and train a team you will never understand."

Again missing the point captain I’ve young fellas and young girls that too this day thank me for being there for them

But if it’s drama you’re looking for then you’re barking up the wrong tree

By *leasurer77Man 51 weeks ago

Athlone

To get back to the original question; some counties are great. Roscommon have underage soccer on Friday evenings to avoid clashing with Go Games. Across the Shannon though the main guy over the underage GAA in the county does all he can to ensure clashes occur in the forlorn hope of killing soccer. I coach both, have regularly complained to him, but to no avail. When there's a clash I let my children decide. One chooses GAA, the other soccer.

It is noticeable that most kids choose soccer. I put it down to the fact that soccer allows score keeping and league tables for younger ages.

By *ontbesillywrapyourwilly OP   Man 51 weeks ago

Tipperary

Sorry only getting back to this now. My own motto is if the 2 have to clash, you rotate. If you pick one over the other all the time at a young age, say juvenile level it’s very unfair. Another thing would be if a match in GAA clashed with soccer and one was at their own age and the other was at an age grade above (some players good enough to play both ages) u then play the sport where your team is playing it’s own age.

Home

"To get back to the original question; some counties are great. Roscommon have underage soccer on Friday evenings to avoid clashing with Go Games. Across the Shannon though the main guy over the underage GAA in the county does all he can to ensure clashes occur in the forlorn hope of killing soccer. I coach both, have regularly complained to him, but to no avail. When there's a clash I let my children decide. One chooses GAA, the other soccer.

It is noticeable that most kids choose soccer. I put it down to the fact that soccer allows score keeping and league tables for younger ages."

you are moaning about coaches saying if johnny gets injured they will move on to the next player of course they do because he's injured and can't play but when he's fit again he will have to fight for his place because that is how sport works and every underage coach care's about each player.

By *rish_GuyMan 51 weeks ago

Foxford

"To get back to the original question; some counties are great. Roscommon have underage soccer on Friday evenings to avoid clashing with Go Games. Across the Shannon though the main guy over the underage GAA in the county does all he can to ensure clashes occur in the forlorn hope of killing soccer. I coach both, have regularly complained to him, but to no avail. When there's a clash I let my children decide. One chooses GAA, the other soccer.

It is noticeable that most kids choose soccer. I put it down to the fact that soccer allows score keeping and league tables for younger ages.you are moaning about coaches saying if johnny gets injured they will move on to the next player of course they do because he's injured and can't play but when he's fit again he will have to fight for his place because that is how sport works and every underage coach care's about each player."

Captain you replied to the wrong quote on this 1.

By *rish_GuyMan 51 weeks ago

Foxford

Personally I've never played any sport for a club. That said I have heard that GAA coaches, have tried to stop kids playing soccer. As the 2 of them seem to clash alot of the time. I personally can't confirm weather it's true or not. So to me it's here say. GAA(football) & soccer are the 2 real main sports in my area.

I personally don't believe that coaches should be putting pressure on kids to pick 1 of them, despite their age. Without ever going or doing a training session I do believe it's happening. As some people are like that.

As for coaches being reported for making a kid cry or anyother reason. That should happen alright, it seem to highly unlikely to happen, unless nearly all the parents get together to do it. If there's 1 or a small No of parents complaing about A coach, on alot of cases, more than likely it's all keeped quite.

At the end of the day sports should be fun, despite the kids or adults age.

I take my hat off to the parent's that do all the driving & volunteering for the different sports with/for they're kids. Fair play to ye & keep up the good work.

Cork

"To all the people on here moaning about coaches how many of you give up your free time to coach the children."

I would be the first to give credit to the coaches and am fully aware of the time they give to the sport. Our children wouldn't be there if they weren't and I spent years preaching the same. However, it was the lack of understanding that children can have more than one interest, which needed commitment also, that annoyed me. It was only for a number of weeks while the schedules clashed.

By *ornywife20Couple 51 weeks ago

North Cork

I have been at games a good many years ago with my lads and I heard coaches telling under 10s TO TAKE HIM OUT OF IT. At under age this type of behaviour is inexcusable. My son said Dad I don't want to play Gaa anymore and I said son you are dead right son .

The West

It is noticeable that most kids choose soccer. I put it down to the fact that soccer allows score keeping and league tables for younger ages."

This is funny because for me it just highlights how people just love a fucking moan.

Keeping scores is not allowed in hurling/gaeilc with juveniles, even though the juveniles want to. Because it takes away from kids enjoying sport and learning skills. But somehow it's a good thing if it's done at soccer. When the roles were reversed, GAA coaches were the worst in the world, apparently!?

Another thing that can't be ignored as to why kids choose soccer...its simply because its easier to play at a basic level.

Very few other sports can accommodate kids with basic talent or skill. It can be hard for kids to get involved and enjoy some sports if they're not reasonably good at them. Hurling, Gaelic, Rugby, Athletics, Swimming all require a reasonable level of ability to enjoy, that soccer doesn't really need.

The West

Soccer is also less discriminating across demographics.

By *amsevenMan 51 weeks ago

cork

[Removed by poster at 07/10/23 18:15:39]

The West

"Soccer is also less discriminating across demographics."

In what way?

The West

"Soccer is also less discriminating across demographics.

In what way?"

Just that soccer is easy to understand, a ball is cheap to own, or someone you know has one and it can be played pretty much anywhere with anyone across language barriers

Galway

"I have been at games a good many years ago with my lads and I heard coaches telling under 10s TO TAKE HIM OUT OF IT. At under age this type of behaviour is inexcusable. My son said Dad I don't want to play Gaa anymore and I said son you are dead right son . "

That is disgusting but unfortunately so true of a lot of sports I know of a few incidents similar to this in different sports but 9 out of 10 coaches wouldn't do that. But the 1 that does unfortunately gives everyone else a bad name.

"I

That is disgusting but unfortunately so true of a lot of sports I know of a few incidents similar to this in different sports but 9 out of 10 coaches wouldn't do that. But the 1 that does unfortunately gives everyone else a bad name."

If you witness such behaviour by a coach make a complaint to his/her club, and if you aren’t satisfied with their actions, you can escalate to the next level. It’s not okay for a coach to this but it’s also not okay for adults to witness it and do nothing about it.

I'd normally let the child decide. finals and important matches will normally Trump less important or training. our coaches understand

Galway

In what way?

Just that soccer is easy to understand, a ball is cheap to own, or someone you know has one and it can be played pretty much anywhere with anyone across language barriers

"

soccer is played world wide so parents and kids know the sport that's why all demographics play it. Gaa is understood by Irish people but most people coming to Ireland to live here have never even heard of gaa or hurling and that's why very few take it up. Kids don't start sports unless their parents bring them. But that's not discrimination.

By *astelloWoman 51 weeks ago

Far far away

Ive seen first hand the amount of time that coaches give voluntarily and equally the amount of abuse they get from parents and armchair coaches.

Team sports may not be for every child but it brings so many core personal skills that can support them through out life.

Galway

"I

That is disgusting but unfortunately so true of a lot of sports I know of a few incidents similar to this in different sports but 9 out of 10 coaches wouldn't do that. But the 1 that does unfortunately gives everyone else a bad name.

If you witness such behaviour by a coach make a complaint to his/her club, and if you aren’t satisfied with their actions, you can escalate to the next level. It’s not okay for a coach to this but it’s also not okay for adults to witness it and do nothing about it."

I have and I have also dropped coaches from set ups I've been involved with over bad behaviour

The West

[Removed by poster at 07/10/23 19:46:27]

The West

In what way?

soccer is played world wide so parents and kids know the sport that's why all demographics play it. Gaa is understood by Irish people but most people coming to Ireland to live here have never even heard of gaa or hurling and that's why very few take it up. Kids don't start sports unless their parents bring them. But that's not discrimination."

I don't mean to infer that people are the cause of any discrimination. Only that the universal appeal of soccer is that it transends the barrier to entry of many other sports.

Galway

In what way?

soccer is played world wide so parents and kids know the sport that's why all demographics play it. Gaa is understood by Irish people but most people coming to Ireland to live here have never even heard of gaa or hurling and that's why very few take it up. Kids don't start sports unless their parents bring them. But that's not discrimination.

I don't mean to infer that people are the cause of any discrimination. Only that the universal appeal of soccer is that it transends the barrier to entry of many other sports."

Exactly I did a program in a few national schools on hurling And football around 12 years ago and it was the first time the kids with parents from other countries played the game and they loved it and some joined their local clubs.

I was on the sideline during the summer and a young fella came up to talk to me who was one of those kids and was still playing and I must admit playing well.

» Add a new message to this topic