FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Gamers help- Vr headsets

Gamers help- Vr headsets

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lippery-when-wet-180 OP   Woman  over a year ago

South Dub

Any gamers out there who can help me

My son really wants to get a VR headset, he has a pc and a ps5.

I’m clueless at all this stuff what is the best one to get

Thank you

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By * la carteCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

I'm not a gamer as such but I have a 13 yr old who I have had to research for over the years.

How old is your son?

And what does he really want as such - does he want to connect with friends or is he interested in particular games? Does he want to connect to his existing console/pc or does he want a stand alone etc?

My son has a playstation as well as an Xbox at his dad's which get brought around depending on what he's into with his friends etc.

He got interested in vr gaming a few years ago so for Christmas I got him the playstation specific virtual reality headset which needs the playstation console - he barely used it!

He then asked for the VR headset from Meta Quest which a lot of his friends were using.

The Meta Quest VR headset does not require a console - the games are accessed and stored on the headset. It comes with controllers.

He's spent hours playing games with his friends on this particular one. They can all connect on this platform, chat and play - provided they have purchased the same games. Great investment because he used it. I managed to sell the PS headset.

With the Meta Quest a cable can also be purchased to connect to a pc - it is quite expensive at over €100 if I remember correctly and you need to make sure that the pc is going to be compatible too.

I remember chatting to customer service in Smyth's. They were quite knowledgeable and helpful.

There are plenty of other stores dealing in these types of electronics so going in and having a chat to see what various people say before committing to purchase is a great way to get an insight.

But the most important question is - what does your son want and if he's connecting with others, you'll want to make sure about compatibility in gaming.

I hope this helps

By *outhDublinMan86Man  over a year ago

shankill

I bet it’s the meta quest he’s looking for as it’s the most popular and isn’t tied to a machine with a cable. The cables can be restrictive and ruin the experience.

By *oodOmensfor2Couple  over a year ago

Ennis

I would second the Quest vr headset. Much more reasonably priced and there's a plethora of games and new ones being released on a regular base. They even ditched the necessity for a Facebook account. Just make sure that if you want to play pc games with it that the pc has a really decent graphics card.

It's actually quite fun and there are some nice workout games. I borrow our sons from time to time

By *ildarekinkstersCouple  over a year ago

kinkytown

Meta quest or the PlayStation VR headset.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I would second the Quest vr headset. Much more reasonably priced and there's a plethora of games and new ones being released on a regular base. They even ditched the necessity for a Facebook account. Just make sure that if you want to play pc games with it that the pc has a really decent graphics card.

It's actually quite fun and there are some nice workout games. I borrow our sons from time to time "

Yep, this one. My son has one and the first time I tried it I was blown away. Absolutely amazing, and a real insight into what the future could/will bring with tech like this.

South Dub

"I'm not a gamer as such but I have a 13 yr old who I have had to research for over the years.

How old is your son?

And what does he really want as such - does he want to connect with friends or is he interested in particular games? Does he want to connect to his existing console/pc or does he want a stand alone etc?

My son has a playstation as well as an Xbox at his dad's which get brought around depending on what he's into with his friends etc.

He got interested in vr gaming a few years ago so for Christmas I got him the playstation specific virtual reality headset which needs the playstation console - he barely used it!

He then asked for the VR headset from Meta Quest which a lot of his friends were using.

The Meta Quest VR headset does not require a console - the games are accessed and stored on the headset. It comes with controllers.

He's spent hours playing games with his friends on this particular one. They can all connect on this platform, chat and play - provided they have purchased the same games. Great investment because he used it. I managed to sell the PS headset.

With the Meta Quest a cable can also be purchased to connect to a pc - it is quite expensive at over €100 if I remember correctly and you need to make sure that the pc is going to be compatible too.

I remember chatting to customer service in Smyth's. They were quite knowledgeable and helpful.

There are plenty of other stores dealing in these types of electronics so going in and having a chat to see what various people say before committing to purchase is a great way to get an insight.

But the most important question is - what does your son want and if he's connecting with others, you'll want to make sure about compatibility in gaming.

I hope this helps "

Amazing thank you he’s just 12, has a PS5 and a gaming pc. I’ve been looking at Meta Quest and at the PS one. I will chat to the guys in Smyths. Thank you for the info

South Dub

Thanks everyone I’m totally lost when it comes to anything techy

» Add a new message to this topic