FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > "Get a real job"

"Get a real job"

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ungry Cat OP   Couple  over a year ago

Belfast

People keep telling me to get a real job.

I used to be (still unofficially am) an event manager.

I used to manage people's weddings - one of most important days in ones life. Yet there was always someone telling me to get a real job.

I was working with fiberglass.

Building boats, flat roofs and making truck parts with my own hands as well as managing paperwork for it, yet completely ignored by clients when it came to making any business deals (men are talking here, wait and be quiet).

I was managing a deli. Accounts, profit margins, stock control, staff training and people management. Guess what people said? "Get a real job!"

With current job I'm on my feet every day, facing hundreds of people through all kinds of weather.

I get tired, dehydrated, yelled at and sometimes lost.

This week has been rough on both of us.

We posted a status promising to get back to everyone.

Response we got - "get a real job".

So it makes me wonder - what's a "real job"?

And what job is not worth being called "real"?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Think people are confusing stable with real

Belfast

"Think people are confusing stable with real "

But any job can be stable if one is good at it and chooses to stay with it.

Some people want different experiences and like learning new things (I know I do. Could never be stuck in a same place doing the same thing years on end). It doesnt make their current jobs any more stable.

By *lay rock69Man  over a year ago

monaghan

Are you happy with the work you are doing now

By *addy36Man  over a year ago

Mayo

I'm just wondering what job is not a real job ??

Belfast

"Are you happy with the work you are doing now "

My work is not the issue here.

Issue is why people feel the need to tell anyone and I mean anyone, no matter what job they're doing "get a real job"

Belfast

"I'm just wondering what job is not a real job ?? "

I understand there's some fluke jobs out there where one doesn't need to put much effort in and gets the money for it. Fair play.

Nobody calls them "not a real job" though

By *adylaceWoman  over a year ago

Waterford City

If it pays enough to take care of the bills it's real. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

By *lay rock69Man  over a year ago

monaghan

They might not be happy in there job that why they say it to some people.

"If it pays enough to take care of the bills it's real. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant. "

Exactly. It doesn't matter one bit what other peoples opinions of the job are.

I once worked with a woman that was run off her feet but got very little respect for it. She got asked a lot "sure what do you do all day?"

She got pissed off eventually and left the job. It was only when she stopped doing what she did that people realised all she did. They begged her to come back but she not so politely declined.

Sorry for the tangent.

Every job is a real job as long as it pays to keep doing it

There is a saying that goes:

“People always wants you to be successful.. But they do not want you to be more successful than they are.”

A real job to me is a job that you love to do. Does not matter what it is. As long as it brings the best out of you and you are enjoy doing it.

I (Mrs) have done many jobs in my life, im older and wiser now. I do something that I love, and work as much as i need to..no more than that.

Mr S is a workaholic though

My thoughts on a real job are if you are paying tax, usc and pps. Then you are contributing to the running of the country. It doesnt matter whether you are shovelling shit or managing a big corporation. If you are content in your job and your family is looked after, forget about what others think of you. I have always had it in my head that as long as I did right by my kids in providing a roof over their heads and giving them the best of what I had. Then Im content. So fuck the begruders OP. Live your life the way you want not how others want you to.Here endeth the sermon

By *elfastblondMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Those saying about getting a real job probably don't even have any joy and call their dole/job seekers/pip/income support, their pay!

Belfast

Apologies for a bit of a rant.

It just triggered me a bit as I know myself and Dirk have done nothing but worked hard at everything and anything we both have done in the past and present.

We both know how much effort we put into our work and what it takes to make things happen in a right way.

"Get a real job" dickheads are way too common though and it just makes me sad sometimes that people feel that they have a right to say that to anyone. Even more - look down at anyone who are just doing their jobs.

"People keep telling me to get a real job.

I used to manage people's weddings - one of most important days in ones life. Yet there was always someone telling me to get a real job.

Building boats, flat roofs and making truck parts with my own hands as well as managing paperwork for it, yet completely ignored by clients when it came to making any business deals (men are talking here, wait and be quiet).

I was managing a deli. Accounts, profit margins, stock control, staff training and people management. Guess what people said? "Get a real job!"

With current job I'm on my feet every day, facing hundreds of people through all kinds of weather.

And what job is not worth being called "real"?"

Bollocks to them is all Ill say to that. And gratitude for contributing to the good health of your community in whatever way you do

Belfast

Bollocks to them is all Ill say to that. And gratitude for contributing to the good health of your community in whatever way you do "

Thank you lots for your support.

As well as thank you for uploading that last pic. You're the definition of goals in life xx

Until someone else pays my bills, no thought or care given to anyone with a comment about my employment.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Random comments from strangers about how I live my life hold no value.

Belfast

"Random comments from strangers about how I live my life hold no value.

"

In a previous job I visited 10-15 bars every day. The same people were always sitting on the same stools no matter when I went in telling me how easy my job was or that it was handy money.

The irony wasn't lost on me.

I love my job ,

In a wood hauling out timber,working with a good bunch 0f mates.

Machine i operate is a dream to drive,.

Anyone that insults what I do ,I put them out through the nearest door ,and the door won't be opened either lol.

Bollocks to them is all Ill say to that. And gratitude for contributing to the good health of your community in whatever way you do "

your profile pic looks amazing.

Stunning dress.

I fab it if I could ??

By *imatureMan  over a year ago

sligo

I think you need a holiday after doing all does jobs

People are great at telling others what they should or shouldn't be doing.

Those same people would be best advised to mind their own f*cking business.

By *eijaWoman  over a year ago

City Centre

"Apologies for a bit of a rant.

It just triggered me a bit as I know myself and Dirk have done nothing but worked hard at everything and anything we both have done in the past and present.

We both know how much effort we put into our work and what it takes to make things happen in a right way.

"Get a real job" dickheads are way too common though and it just makes me sad sometimes that people feel that they have a right to say that to anyone. Even more - look down at anyone who are just doing their jobs. "

OP honestly it says more about them than you! I truly believe when people say stuff like that or make any unnecessary nasty comments they are just projecting...

B x

"Apologies for a bit of a rant.

"Get a real job" dickheads are way too common though and it just makes me sad sometimes that people feel that they have a right to say that to anyone. Even more - look down at anyone who are just doing their jobs.

OP honestly it says more about them than you! I truly believe when people say stuff like that or make any unnecessary nasty comments they are just projecting...

B x"

Couldn't agree more, they most likely hate their 9-5 and would most likely have no response if you asked them to define a "real job".

Work is work, do what best fits you as a person.

By *onnrodMan  over a year ago

moira

If it pays your bills it's a real job.

Look at it this way, Bankers made billions moving digital accounts from one fund to another and making stacks off it for years. Nothing was physically moved or made, just faking the impression of wealth. Would people call THAT a real job?

To me any job that you enjoy getting up for, every morning is a joy.

Real or not.

It really depends on ones own perceptions of what a real job actually is.

Oh and that was unwarranted what people said to you about not returning messages. Completely uncalled for.

By *eeking PassionMan  over a year ago

yep

This issue may be with the people saying it rather then the job they are talking about….

By *xplicitMan  over a year ago

donegal

Ok, bit left field and I’m not trying to be smug or aloof, but do you not think that someone ‘triggering’ you on fab means you either need a break or totally reassess what you’re here for?

Belfast

"Ok, bit left field and I’m not trying to be smug or aloof, but do you not think that someone ‘triggering’ you on fab means you either need a break or totally reassess what you’re here for?"

What about those that are here specifically to trigger or be triggered?

"Ok, bit left field and I’m not trying to be smug or aloof, but do you not think that someone ‘triggering’ you on fab means you either need a break or totally reassess what you’re here for?"

Not necessarily. Cause and effect. Our reactions to certain things can be influenced by external factors...in real life and on Fab. No-one is made of stone

By *xplicitMan  over a year ago

donegal

Yeah, true and fair comments, but still, if this place is annoying you I’d always advise just taking a break or better still, reassess. It’s not like it’s going to change.

Belfast

"Yeah, true and fair comments, but still, if this place is annoying you I’d always advise just taking a break or better still, reassess. It’s not like it’s going to change."

I was mainly talking about people outside fab leading up to it and general peoples mentality.

I'll go get a real job now and go on a different site too because clearly fab is the problem here

By *eterdunneMan  over a year ago

leixlip

You had a real job. You made an honest living providing a service people wanted. You're not lazy and don't want to sponge off the state. Fuck those idiots (metaphorically speaking). Haters gonna hate. I applaude you for keeping it going.

By *hilaboutMan  over a year ago

kilkenny

Look hey it is what it is move on

OP - anyone who says that to you or about what you do has no grasp on what is real.

“Once a task is just begun, never leave it till it's done. Be the labour great or small, do it well or not at all”

Years ago, a "real" job was this secure pensionable job working in the bank or civil service being a teacher, guard or nurse.

It was something our parents wanted for us so that would allay any fears they might have for their kids future.

The "oh johnny got the bank or the guards" chat outside the church was some form of bragging rights.

It was all about ensuring that one didn't have to face immigration if one had that "secure" future.

Of course there was no guarantee of job satisfaction, and many spent, and are spending their lives in jobs they hate.

I have 3 young adults who have chosen the music industry for their preferred careers. Is it secure work? hell no, but they are doing what they love. At the end of the day all I want is for our kids to be happy.

So to me a real job is finding a way to make a living doing what YOU love, not what someone thinks you should be doing. So many parents try to live vicariously through their children to fulfill some perceived personal shortcomings in their own lives. It's dangerous and selfish.

Lee

Op,why do you feel the need to explain your life,your job to anyone?

Untill someone else is paying your bills,putting a roof over your head,feeding you clothing you,it's nobodies business how you make your living

Belfast

"Op,why do you feel the need to explain your life,your job to anyone?

Untill someone else is paying your bills,putting a roof over your head,feeding you clothing you,it's nobodies business how you make your living"

Not the need to explain my life, just painting a picture of what kind of jobs aren't "real jobs" to some and trying to figure out what is this mysterious job that is so real

By *eturn of Sir PumpsMan  over a year ago

outside banbridge

"Op,why do you feel the need to explain your life,your job to anyone?

Untill someone else is paying your bills,putting a roof over your head,feeding you clothing you,it's nobodies business how you make your living

Not the need to explain my life, just painting a picture of what kind of jobs aren't "real jobs" to some and trying to figure out what is this mysterious job that is so real "

I got paid off from my higher paid office job pre covid i now work with my hands as a labourer for minimum wage i enjoy it more apart from the lack of money people always said similar bout my office job so im assuming getting dirty is a real job lol

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Pre pandemic some jobs were described as menial and post pandemic they're now called essential or even front line workers

Whatever pays your wages is a real job simple as.

» Add a new message to this topic