FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Blood donors

Blood donors

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *upermanslovechild OP   Man  over a year ago

Glasnevin

Hey, anyone here a regular blood donor or have donated in the past? I'm thinking of going, but I don't even know my own blood type, is a necessity/a bad thing?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

"Hey, anyone here a regular blood donor or have donated in the past? I'm thinking of going, but I don't even know my own blood type, is a necessity/a bad thing? "

You don't need to know your own type ...they'll do all that

Just be aware of the questions that they need an answer to first to determine if you can actually donate

Its a great thing to do .....go for it

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I would love to but I can't as I'm asthmatic and use inhalers daily so I'm not allowed to donate blood.

Glasnevin

"Hey, anyone here a regular blood donor or have donated in the past? I'm thinking of going, but I don't even know my own blood type, is a necessity/a bad thing?

Just be aware of the questions that they need an answer to first to determine if you can actually donate

Its a great thing to do .....go for it "

Yeah checked out the questionnaire and eligibility for it, just never asked about my blood type so wasn't too sure

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Also be aware The first visit can take a while as they do lots of checks etc.

It's a great thing to do, sadly I'm excluded.

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

I tried. I was excluded. Was sad

Glasnevin

"Also be aware The first visit can take a while as they do lots of checks etc.

"

Ah that's no problem, unless that was the case for every visit you make, but for a first time it wouldn't be an issue for myself

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

They test for kryptonite allergies

By *adylaceWoman  over a year ago

Waterford City

Fair play. It's a great thing to do. I did it for years until I had minor heart surgery and now I'm at risk of endocarditis so I'm not allowed. It kills me not being able to go.

Glasnevin

"They test for kryptonite allergies"

Well being a lovechild/half breed the only allergy I got was hayfever, equally as crippling if you ask me

Glasnevin

"Fair play. It's a great thing to do. I did it for years until I had minor heart surgery and now I'm at risk of endocarditis so I'm not allowed. It kills me not being able to go. "
Jaysus really? I know my mam donating blood for years and then was told after 20 odd years that you can't give blood if you've had a blood transfusion, which she did about 30 years ago. So she can no longer give blood either.

somewhere

Can't do it anymore either but remember the good old days of going to the clinic the first day of college every year and then going every 90 days just for the beer alone

By *uv2bnude3Man  over a year ago

Thurles

I have been a doner for many many years. Its a great thing to do. Go gor I say.

I remember the fisrt time I got text saying that my blood had been used to help someone, I got quite emotional but felt very privileged and good in myself.

By *iery minxWoman  over a year ago

kildare

Great thing to do but sadly I am one of the ones that can't give blood due to transfusions

By *eanbelfastMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I donate regularly and it’s worthwhile. Not everyone can and not everyone will but you never know who will need it. It’s not too much hassle and relatively painless so go for it. Well done

By *itlbeeCouple  over a year ago

Ireland

My partner does about every 6 months.

Fun fact - donated blood is checked for HIV, syphilis, and Hep B,C and E among others, any positive donors are notified.

So it's a free way to get regular checks for those.

Glasnevin

"My partner does about every 6 months.

Fun fact - donated blood is checked for HIV, syphilis, and Hep B,C and E among others, any positive donors are notified.

So it's a free way to get regular checks for those. "

Well there's an additional incentive

By *obshortMan  over a year ago

Cork

I'm asthmatic and use inhalers. Never been a problem. Been giving blood and now platelet for about 30 years. Don't let it stop you. Do it now. They are always calling for people to donate.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"I'm asthmatic and use inhalers. Never been a problem. Been giving blood and now platelet for about 30 years. Don't let it stop you. Do it now. They are always calling for people to donate. "
.Ye thanks for the advice but I already looked into it and was told I can't.

By *3nsesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

They give you a card with your blood type so it's handy to know and always have at hand too.

Once you donate you have access to a canteen(it's a smaller area now with covid) with free soft drinks, crisps, bars and biscuits. They also give out free pens, pencils, key rings and fridge magnets.

There's really nothing they dont do. Well, except give out free Guinness.

By *lassy lady 216Woman  over a year ago

Craigavon

Used to donate blood been doing it since I was 17 now donate platelets have also put my name on the bone morrow register its a great thing to do nice to know you are giving something back and helping others

somewhere

"They give you a card with your blood type so it's handy to know and always have at hand too.

Once you donate you have access to a canteen(it's a smaller area now with covid) with free soft drinks, crisps, bars and biscuits. They also give out free pens, pencils, key rings and fridge magnets.

There's really nothing they dont do. Well, except give out free Guinness. "

See I'm off the age where you got Guinness or Harp

Those were the days

By *obshortMan  over a year ago

Cork

Sorry to hear that. I do know they apply the rules very strictly. Also no 2 applications are the same.

Its definitely a very rewarding feeling, especially when you get the Xmas card from the kids saying thanks. Really makes it all the more worthwhile,

By *asual777Man  over a year ago

i travel all over

"Hey, anyone here a regular blood donor or have donated in the past? I'm thinking of going, but I don't even know my own blood type, is a necessity/a bad thing?

Its a great thing to do .....go for it "

Bog do they still ask ‘those’ questions ?

somewhere

Its a great thing to do .....go for it

Bog do they still ask ‘those’ questions ? "

I don't know to be honest but i have heard its now called men that have sex with men instead of gay

I've done so for years, go for it, its only a couple of hours out of your day every few months plus there's all the tea and biscuits you can handke afterwards

The reminder texts guilt me into donating when the mobile clinics are nearby.

By *escrean100Man  over a year ago

North Co Dublin

I’m a regular donor - after the first donation and the questions / tests it’s really straight forward - now it’s just check in, finger prick test, questionnaire, donation and sweets, biscuits and crisps!

By *winger212Woman  over a year ago

Live in spain

I used to give blood as I'm the super rare blood type AB- but then I'd 2 clots in November and that's the end of that, I'm not allowed donate anymore.

By *eracityMan  over a year ago

the big smoke

I can’t donate due to issues so I make up for it doing charity work. My go to causes are autism and my canine companion in Cork. I’d still like to give blood.

By *inger FoxxWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

I used to give blood, but I get tattoos so often now I can't

By *allying555Man  over a year ago

Galway .Limerick

"I used to give blood, but I get tattoos so often now I can't "

I not allowed anymore either. Way too many of us excluded.

By *dfabMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne

[Removed by poster at 07/09/21 00:58:35]

By *dfabMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne

I'm not allowed because I was living in UK when Mad Cow or something was about.

Roughly 1990-2000 not wanted

By *DSGCouple  over a year ago

That place in

Fair play to you OP, it's a selfless & brilliant thing to do and the blood is so necessary.

I did it for a couple of years, before donating platelets for years, but thanks to being diagnosed diabetic I'm no longer allowed to. Really wish I still could...

By *DSGCouple  over a year ago

That place in

"They give you a card with your blood type so it's handy to know and always have at hand too.

There's really nothing they dont do. Well, except give out free Guinness.

See I'm off the age where you got Guinness or Harp

Those were the days "

Having not been allowed to donate (thanks to diabetes) for more than a decade, I know they've stopped offering Guinness & Harp.

Used to donate platelets every month or so. You can donate 2 or 3 units in one go cuz they extract the platelets and pump the red cells back into your arm.

Got up to 100 donations pretty quickly and got a big meal out of it, but haven't bothered in years since I moved out of Dublin.

If you can donate, I advise donate platelets as the IBTS get more value for money out of you.

"I'm not allowed because I was living in UK when Mad Cow or something was about.

Roughly 1990-2000 not wanted "

This ban was dropped almost 2 years ago.

[Removed by poster at 07/09/21 07:18:42]

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

So few people know this

I go every 3 months

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Never even tried. I loose consciousness quickly with blood loss. My brain just shuts down.

But I admire everyone doing it, well done!

By *oisyoctopusWoman  over a year ago

Drogheda

Hey OP and anyone else considering it. There's a load of into on giveblood dot ie, including the number to ring to make an appointment as all clinics are appointment based now. This works out well, IME, cos I'm in and out in around an hour including my refreshments afterwards. First time donations will take longer as you'll need to have a longer wee chat with staff. I still reckon a little bit of my time is worth it so other people can maybe have a lot more time in their lives.

I've been doing it for as long as I could and as often as I can; there's always going to be reasons people can't donate, but those reasons are always to keep either the donor or the recipient safe. I still giggle every time I see the monkey handling question, though!

Good morning OP, I’ve gave blood 3 times now. The first time was a little longer as I’d a questionnaire to fill out. A bit like yourself I wasn’t sure what blood type I was but as stated by somebody else on up they sort all this. I actually done it the first time as our local club had a push on looking members to donate and it had a great success with almost 40 donating! I’d definitely recommend it, you just dont know when yourself or someone close may need

By *ifeisforliving2016Man  over a year ago

waterford

Don't hesitate OP ,you'll be fine the nurses are there to look after you & insure that everything goes well .

On the plus side erections are much stronger the days afterwards as your blood is a little lighter flows faster !

By *oft_sexy_sweetWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

The IBTS specifically prohibits people from donating blood as a proxy for a screening test - in fact you have to declare on the consent form that you are NOT donating for this reason.

Glasnevin

Cheers for all the positive responses, just to be sure I'm not hesitant about doing, I'm adamant I will it's just I was curious about whether you needed to know the blood type beforehand or not Well hopefully I get a buzz soon as I signed up

So it's a free way to get regular checks for those.

The IBTS specifically prohibits people from donating blood as a proxy for a screening test - in fact you have to declare on the consent form that you are NOT donating for this reason. "

Right, that'll stop it then!

By *ifeisforliving2016Man  over a year ago

waterford

Sorry for not answering that ,from my experience & that was recently with 2 of my kids ,your first blood sample is taken & then your blood type is ascertained from that.

» Add a new message to this topic