FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > How much is too much?

How much is too much?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So during my appointment in Brown Thomas today I was almost tempted by a €400 handbag and also a €245 pair of trainers.

I avoided eye contact and managed to make it out of the store with just a t-shirt, some makeup and Nespresso pods.

I couldn't justify the large purchase, even though I've worked the whole way through the pandemic and saved a lot of money I just think it's an awful lot of money to spend on myself

So besides the big items like a car etc. What is the most expensive possession that you have treated yourself too?

So far for me it's been an Armani watch bought 12 years ago that I still have. When I got a promotion I thought fuck it I deserve it

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Bought a Raymond Wiel watch as a treat to myself when my decree nisi came through. Think it was £1700 at the time.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

It used to depend on what you could actually afford but sometimes people will overstretch if they get seduced by advertising or in trying to keep up with the Jones.

On a recent thread about perfumes I saw guys using products that cost more than my weekly wage.

I've never paid more than £5k for a car, my new phone cost £180 and I have a goretex jacket that cost the same. Apart from that I'm never tempted by anything because I can't afford it.

By *eralt80Man  over a year ago

cork

Probably the coffee machine I bought last year

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

[Removed by poster at 13/05/21 17:13:57]

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

I normally spend sensibly on myself and price everything and compare

The most expensive thing I ever bought for myself was a Philips TV and DVD player that cost a grand about 15 yrs ago.

I wanted it but the family got the use of it

[Removed by poster at 13/05/21 17:26:04]

Bought a weights bar for my gym for €600

Trainers for 245e? I walk alot. Rain ,mud etc....I like comfortable tackies but would never pay over 100e for a pair. I did buy soccer boots for over 100e a few times in the past but the older I get the less I spend on things that I know I'll fuck up.

My attitude is if I want something and I worked for the money I'll buy it, I'd have no bother spending 400 on myself just not on a handbag

I paid €1200 for a set of motorcycle leathers, gloves, boots and helmet.

That was 4 years ago.

Still have them all.

Currently debating buying a new TV but the specs I want will cost over 1k.

I probably won't get it tbh.

Last big luxury expense was €500 for a ps5.

I spend money on others with far less overthinking than I do on myself tbh

Hot tub last year.

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

I pretty much never spend money on nonessential stuff for myself. With 5 kids to keep warm fed and clothed and a house renovation to pay for I pretty much buy everything second hand. I can't remember the last time I spent money on a luxury item for me.

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I usually spend sensibly and really have no interest in big name brands .I think the most expensive non essential thing I bought was a good saddle for £250 which was 2nd hand a few years ago.

East / North, Cork

"I pretty much never spend money on nonessential stuff for myself. With 5 kids to keep warm fed and clothed and a house renovation to pay for I pretty much buy everything second hand. I can't remember the last time I spent money on a luxury item for me."

On rereading this I might be coming across as tight, which Laura would probably agree with lol, but if I'm buying something second hand I will be looking for quality. Like I buy nice mid-centuary furniture,and vintage kitch mirrors and clocks, and we drink tea out of Nicholas mosse mugs, but I don't just go and spend loads on jewelery/clothes/electronics/consumables.

By *obshortMan  over a year ago

Cork

"My attitude is if I want something and I worked for the money I'll buy it, I'd have no bother spending 400 on myself just not on a handbag"

Spent it, we all deserve a bit of TLC every now and then.

"So during my appointment in Brown Thomas today I was almost tempted by a €400 handbag and also a €245 pair of trainers.

I avoided eye contact and managed to make it out of the store with just a t-shirt, some makeup and Nespresso pods.

I couldn't justify the large purchase, even though I've worked the whole way through the pandemic and saved a lot of money I just think it's an awful lot of money to spend on myself

So besides the big items like a car etc. What is the most expensive possession that you have treated yourself too?

So far for me it's been an Armani watch bought 12 years ago that I still have. When I got a promotion I thought fuck it I deserve it "

The daddy in me says put it towards a new house...

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Kitting out the home gym last year. I think weve spent near 2 grand on it. Other than that everything goes on the kids

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"So during my appointment in Brown Thomas today I was almost tempted by a €400 handbag and also a €245 pair of trainers.

So far for me it's been an Armani watch bought 12 years ago that I still have. When I got a promotion I thought fuck it I deserve it

The daddy in me says put it towards a new house... "

Ohhhh can I call you daddy?

The daddy in me says put it towards a new house...

Ohhhh can I call you daddy? "

You'll have to butter me up first

Dee's a shopaholic and is likely to come home from work loaded down but her big spends are kink related. Last big one was another spanking bench. For myself I'll splurge on a game or two but I'm not the biggest shopper

By *affa31Woman  over a year ago

Galway

If you see something you want, walk away for 72 hours. If you still want it at that stage and have the money for it, buy it

Sometimes ya just gotta treat yourself

By *j47Man  over a year ago

limerick

I am just a tight bastard there u go I admitted it

If I do up a room I'll go all out for quality the saving is in longevity I done a sun room 18 months ago went big on the electronics, stove and furnishings. Time before that was the sitting room in 1997 put in a panasonic TV with all the mod cons back then we upgraded that unit 3 years ago so the extra spent on the TV in 97 paid back by not having to replace till 20 years later

Just to be clear the rooms get a lick of painting every few years but the furniture and fixings are usually kept the same

On myself I don't tend to buy luxury items like game centres manbags

By *aughtyangelsCouple  over a year ago

dublin

So far for me it's been an Armani watch bought 12 years ago that I still have. When I got a promotion I thought fuck it I deserve it "

By *aughtyangelsCouple  over a year ago

dublin

I as a man would have no problem spending that type of money, firstly if your going to brown Thomas your going for a good time, I gave bought lv shoes, hermes belt, if you work hard spent it, my eldest girl bought a bag for neatly 2 grand and font get me started on her shoes, she is a divik for designer heels, her last pair of trainers for her bag to wear after work 450 euro, remember yiu can't take it with you, enjoy your money and spend it

Bought a Sage coffee machine, €500, paid for itself already if think about the price of coffee.

By *dfabMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne

3K on a projector was probably the most I ever spent on a single item.

It's now got 4000hrs on it on original bulb.

Rarely less than 2 people watching it so compare that saying 2hrs a movie at a tenner each in the cinema and it's an absolute steal for the price

By *iscreet_divorced_guyMan  over a year ago

central

"I pretty much never spend money on nonessential stuff for myself. With 5 kids to keep warm fed and clothed and a house renovation to pay for I pretty much buy everything second hand. I can't remember the last time I spent money on a luxury item for me."

I’m totally with you on that, while I earn wgat is perceived to be a good income, O have a lot of expenses too, I buy most large items second hand, and there are great bargains to be had, I got a nearly new three piece suite two years ago that cost over €2k new for under €200, and chairs with covers for the kitchen for €150!

Second hand stuff in the house belies the fact that we haven’t as miluch disposable income as we would like others to believe we have!!

East / North, Cork

"I pretty much never spend money on nonessential stuff for myself. With 5 kids to keep warm fed and clothed and a house renovation to pay for I pretty much buy everything second hand. I can't remember the last time I spent money on a luxury item for me.

I’m totally with you on that, while I earn wgat is perceived to be a good income, O have a lot of expenses too, I buy most large items second hand, and there are great bargains to be had, I got a nearly new three piece suite two years ago that cost over €2k new for under €200, and chairs with covers for the kitchen for €150!

Second hand stuff in the house belies the fact that we haven’t as miluch disposable income as we would like others to believe we have!!"

Ahh you beat me. My kitchen costed €250

By *he big dogMan  over a year ago

dublin

I work hard for my money so like to treat myself and my daughter when I can think the most iv spent was 3 grand on a monclear jacket and the daughters cost 700

Very rarely buy expensive things for myself, my car/cars take all my money

Spent €1200 on a turbo the other day and it’s off having rust repair ore at a cost of a couple of grand

» Add a new message to this topic