FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Jesus wept..

Jesus wept..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi De Hi has been added to a list of programmes with offensive content....... Hi de hi... When did we lose control of common sense?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

I love politically incorrect material because it often provokes introspection of one's own prejudicial blind spots.

The famous Jewish comedian Jackie Mason was superb at poking fun at his own tribe!

Years ago Carol Thatcher was banned from Countdown, the 'scrabble' programme for making an anti Irish joke which was actually very funny.

You have to be able to laugh at yourself.

The best politically incorrect programmes were: Gimme, Gimme, Gimme; and the astonishingly insulting US comedy, Married, with children.

Masterclasses in comedy writing.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Was it too camp ?

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Is there a list of offensive content? Who maintains this list and what is it used for?

"Is there a list of offensive content? Who maintains this list and what is it used for?"

Don't actually know if there is or not. I know by today's standards some of the stuff put out in the 70',s and 80's was out there but they were different times. But something as harmless as hi de hi (which I actually hated) I think is going to far.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I must start watching it so

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

"I must start watching it so"

Try watch " love thy Neighbour " all episodes on youtube

I watched some of it recently to see if I remembered it correctly.....unbelievable Jeff what was allowed on TV in those days

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

"Is there a list of offensive content? Who maintains this list and what is it used for?

Don't actually know if there is or not. I know by today's standards some of the stuff put out in the 70',s and 80's was out there but they were different times. But something as harmless as hi de hi (which I actually hated) I think is going to far. "

That's confusing. You said this has been added to a list because of offensive content?

I dunno. Would it have been added to the list if there wasn't content that's now deemed inappropriate? I've never really watched enough of it to know.

I tend to lean on the side of 'just because something used to be ok, doesn't mean it should always be thus'

By *obshortMan  over a year ago

Cork

"I love politically incorrect material because it often provokes introspection of one's own prejudicial blind spots.

The famous Jewish comedian Jackie Mason was superb at poking fun at his own tribe!

Years ago Carol Thatcher was banned from Countdown, the 'scrabble' programme for making an anti Irish joke which was actually very funny.

The best politically incorrect programmes were: Gimme, Gimme, Gimme; and the astonishingly insulting US comedy, Married, with children.

Masterclasses in comedy writing."

To hell with them. A joke is a joke. If you can't see the funny side of a joke. You are just so so sad with a more than likely boring life. Long live Al Bundy.

"Is there a list of offensive content? Who maintains this list and what is it used for?

Don't actually know if there is or not. I know by today's standards some of the stuff put out in the 70',s and 80's was out there but they were different times. But something as harmless as hi de hi (which I actually hated) I think is going to far.

That's confusing. You said this has been added to a list because of offensive content?

"

This maybe https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-most-offensive-British-TV-shows&ved=2ahUKEwiT5Jv60sbwAhWaRBUIHadFCpkQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw26ONXPy8MJ6rNOGKTjE6EB

Doesn't this just mean that there is a disclaimer flashed up before it starts?

I dont see any massive issue with that.

"I love politically incorrect material because it often provokes introspection of one's own prejudicial blind spots.

Masterclasses in comedy writing."

Married with children was brutal! I was only watching clips of it the other night on YT. I can't see it getting ever played on TV nowadays without a Trigger Warning beforehand.

» Add a new message to this topic