FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Ethical blindness !

Ethical blindness !

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Formally, ethical blindness can be defined as the temporary inability of a decision maker to see the ethical dimension of a decision at stake. The phenomenon can be understood along three aspects. First, it builds on the assumption that people deviate from their own values and principles.

In line with the thread where the OP asked for advice and was castigated by many for being in a relationship , I wonder how many suffer from ethical blindness

Do you buy clothes made in sweat shops by little kids ?

Are you a vegetarian/vegan ?

Do you care how animals you eat are treated before they get to your gob ?

Do you have a moral compass with regard to wearing fur ?

Are you comfortable shopping in stores who treat their staff terribly ?

Do you shop on Amazon despite so many reports of how badly they treat their workers ?

Is the outrage just selected for when someone does something where you don't like the uncomdortable truth but you like turning off the moral compass in pursuit of your own pleasures ?

Very often people will pursue with actions regardless of how it impacts others .

Human behaviour isn't clinically clean as I said and everyone from Joe Bloggs on fab to Gandhi or Mother Theresa has skeletons in their closet

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Where is the clapping emoji.... here to you for those words.

I’m your fan

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Improving your moral and ethical credentials is an admirable aim. How far someone takes it is up to the individual. Is it ethical to eat meat at all? What about fish? What about milk and eggs? What about killing plants by eating them? What about walking on grass? What about drinking water when there are others in the world going thirsty?

By *ed just RedWoman  over a year ago

Dublin City

This is my new thought process. Luckily the assholes that stomp on other fab members’ lives’ and choices are as clear as day. So are their hypocrisies.

I do enjoy a good deep dive on veris to see how moral they really are... so much fun!

By *ongueandgroove555Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

[Removed by poster at 06/05/21 20:42:54]

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

We are all ethically blind at times and I'm sure I've been guilty of it in certain situations.

In a fab context it's always amusing to see certain profiles post on a thread about people meeting during covid and saying it's none of their business what others do and it should be live and let live but those very same profiles seem to forget their own advice in relation to other threads.

East / North, Cork

"Formally, ethical blindness can be defined as the temporary inability of a decision maker to see the ethical dimension of a decision at stake. The phenomenon can be understood along three aspects. First, it builds on the assumption that people deviate from their own values and principles.

In line with the thread where the OP asked for advice and was castigated by many for being in a relationship , I wonder how many suffer from ethical blindness

Do you shop on Amazon despite so many reports of how badly they treat their workers ?

Is the outrage just selected for when someone does something where you don't like the uncomdortable truth but you like turning off the moral compass in pursuit of your own pleasures ?

Very often people will pursue with actions regardless of how it impacts others .

Human behaviour isn't clinically clean as I said and everyone from Joe Bloggs on fab to Gandhi or Mother Theresa has skeletons in their closet

"

I've read this a couple of times and I'm still not totally sure what the main point is. Let's stay with your example you gave of the person who was "castigated" for looking to cheat on their partner, because their partner didn't want to do something sexual that he fancied doing. According to the definition of ethical blindness you've given, the person who is experiencing the ethical blindness is the thread poster. He is the one who is looking to do something that demonstrates poor ethics and he is "blind" to the ethics in question because of the desire to do a sex act that his partner doesn't want to do. The person (who may or may not be a hypocrite) who is commenting on the ethics isn't doing anything anywhere near as "ethically blind" as the OP. Surely someone on the Internet giving advice not to cheat on their partner is more ethically sound than then person who is looking to cheat on their partner?

I would go a step further and say that a significant proportion of the fab community is "ethically blind" in turning their head away from this unpleasant aspect to this place, because they fancy a shag.

Finally.. you mention the three aspects to ethical blindness, and then only tell us about the first part. What are the others?

By *phrodite72Woman  over a year ago

dublin/galway

"Formally, ethical blindness can be defined as the temporary inability of a decision maker to see the ethical dimension of a decision at stake. The phenomenon can be understood along three aspects. First, it builds on the assumption that people deviate from their own values and principles.

"

None of us are perfect....im 100%sure if we deeply analyse we have all made decisions that go against even our own moral compass...which as individuals we need to own ourselves

But my god for a place thats supposed to b accepting of peoples idiosyncrasies (whether u believe in them or not) its turned incredibly judgemental

I've read this a couple of times and I'm still not totally sure what the main point is. Let's stay with your example you gave of the person who was "castigated" for looking to cheat on their partner, because their partner didn't want to do something sexual that he fancied doing. According to the definition of ethical blindness you've given, the person who is experiencing the ethical blindness is the thread poster. He is the one who is looking to do something that demonstrates poor ethics and he is "blind" to the ethics in question because of the desire to do a sex act that his partner doesn't want to do. The person (who may or may not be a hypocrite) who is commenting on the ethics isn't doing anything anywhere near as "ethically blind" as the OP. Surely someone on the Internet giving advice not to cheat on their partner is more ethically sound than then person who is looking to cheat on their partner?

I would go a step further and say that a significant proportion of the fab community is "ethically blind" in turning their head away from this unpleasant aspect to this place, because they fancy a shag.

Finally.. you mention the three aspects to ethical blindness, and then only tell us about the first part. What are the others?"

I'm not saying the poster doesn't have ethical blindness

I'm not saying I don't have it. In fact the examples I use are to show a wide range of ethical blindness.

Ethical blindness is very common is my point.

The majority of people are willing to bypass their ethics when it suits them in a wide variety of situations.

To castigate someone else for with ethical blindness is well. up to you what you think.

My intent is on highlighting the phenomenon . Hopefully people are able to draw their own conclusions .

For clarity I'm not saying any choice made in ethical blindness is a noble one. Just that human behaviour is far morr complex and tends to be quite biased and not very self reflective when judging others.

None of us are perfect....im 100%sure if we deeply analyse we have all made decisions that go against even our own moral compass...which as individuals we need to own ourselves

But my god for a place thats supposed to b accepting of peoples idiosyncrasies (whether u believe in them or not) its turned incredibly judgemental"

^^^^^ That's a bingo !!!

[Removed by poster at 06/05/21 21:38:44]

East / North, Cork

Thank you I do undestand

your point better now. I would absolutely agree that we are all "ethically blind" all the time. I mostly got confused over that example. I'm gonna go and Google ethical blindness and learn some more.

Is life complicated? Yes.

Do we all have subjects that we personally see as back and white? I believe so.

I dont think that means we can't have mature and considered conversations about them.

Ethical blindness is a new concept to me but reading it the description here is sounds a little like "whataboutery" which is usually a terrible way to construct a point

East / North, Cork

Here's an interesting link of how to CURE ethical blindness...

https://www.corporatecomplianceinsights.com/curing-ethical-blindness/

It says the 3 steps are...

1. Increase ethical awareness

This seems to be about being aware of what your ethics are and acknowledging there might be gaps in your ethics that need thinking about. This involves thinking hard about what you believe is an ethically right way to act.

2. Develop your moral imagination

This is about considering that your ethics might be ill-conceived and acknowledge that someone else might be more morally correct and what you are doing may be wrong. New creative thinking may be required.

3. Actively promote dissent

This is aout fostering a culture where voices that are disagreeing are valuable, and that people should be allowed to express their moral ideas freely.

By *phrodite72Woman  over a year ago

dublin/galway

"Here's an interesting link of how to CURE ethical blindness...

This seems to be about being aware of what your ethics are and acknowledging there might be gaps in your ethics that need thinking about. This involves thinking hard about what you believe is an ethically right way to act.

This is about considering that your ethics might be ill-conceived and acknowledge that someone else might be more morally correct and what you are doing may be wrong. New creative thinking may be required.

This is aout fostering a culture where voices that are disagreeing are valuable, and that people should be allowed to express their moral ideas freely."

Point number 3 mostly lost on here thes3 days

By *inaandterryCouple  over a year ago

Westmeath

Life is too short to castrait our lives with moral issues, take each day as it comes, plant your feet firmly on the ground and plan for happiness. Negativity begets negativity x

Finally.. you mention the three aspects to ethical blindness, and then only tell us about the first part. What are the others?"

That’s a top class response and I hope you’ve a mic to drop close by

Finally.. you mention the three aspects to ethical blindness, and then only tell us about the first part. What are the others?

I'm not saying I don't have it. In fact the examples I use are to show a wide range of ethical blindness.

The majority of people are willing to bypass their ethics when it suits them in a wide variety of situations.

To castigate someone else for with ethical blindness is well. up to you what you think.

My intent is on highlighting the phenomenon . Hopefully people are able to draw their own conclusions .

For clarity I'm not saying any choice made in ethical blindness is a noble one. Just that human behaviour is far morr complex and tends to be quite biased and not very self reflective when judging others."

Seems like you think the people castigating him are worse than him. We don’t know if the castigators are hypocrites, but we do know the OP was/is a cheater or wishes to do so.

Where is your ethical blindness in relation to this dilemma?

So on you seem to be saying the castigators are doing rather poorly in terms of ethical blindness because they call out cheating but then are saying human behaviour is complex in what seems to be an attempt to defend the cheater. It’s teasing very much like you want to apply harsher judgement on those disagreeing with cheating than those who do it.

I’d say I’d prefer people with more consistent ethical vision than yours

"Here's an interesting link of how to CURE ethical blindness...

This is aout fostering a culture where voices that are disagreeing are valuable, and that people should be allowed to express their moral ideas freely."

Great post !!

I think as part of the disagreement over person x ethics on their situation that we can healthily see that lines of morality are not always objective and at times wildly subjective to a spectrum where we may find differences in how perceive the offence and the offender.

We can acknowledge we may have "faults" that those we criticise for their lack of morality may see us in a similar vein for some avenue of ethical bypass we are willing to have in the pursuit of whichever desire.

I do have a real admiration to those willing to challenge and to learn . That is key

There is no shame in not knowing but the resistance to learn makes a conversation far less likely to be productive.

I'll he honest and say I have a passionate interest in the fields of neuroscience and psychology and a drive to understand the core elements if the drivers of human behaviour

I'm aware not everyone has this interest but hopefully the post will drop some seeds for people to research into the subject for themselves. To learn from those far more educated than I on the subject

After all. I'm just a chick with a dick ! What do I know lol

"Is life complicated? Yes.

Do we all have subjects that we personally see as back and white? I believe so.

I dont think that means we can't have mature and considered conversations about them.

Ethical blindness is a new concept to me but reading it the description here is sounds a little like "whataboutery" which is usually a terrible way to construct a point "

And also very low standards to live by. Only expecting ourselves to not do worse in life than than worst behaved as I see it

For clarity I'm not saying any choice made in ethical blindness is a noble one. Just that human behaviour is far morr complex and tends to be quite biased and not very self reflective when judging others.

Seems like you think the people castigating him are worse than him. We don’t know if the castigators are hypocrites, but we do know the OP was/is a cheater or wishes to do so.

So on you seem to be saying the castigators are doing rather poorly in terms of ethical blindness because they call out cheating but then are saying human behaviour is complex in what seems to be an attempt to defend the cheater. It’s teasing very much like you want to apply harsher judgement on those disagreeing with cheating than those who do it.

I’d say I’d prefer people with more consistent ethical vision than yours "

Thanks for missing the point entirely .

Thanks for missing the point entirely . "

No thanks for your higher ability for ethical blindness or smugness, dear. I missed nothing I can assure you

No thanks for your higher ability for ethical blindness or smugness, dear. I missed nothing I can assure you "

I literally said in a post "I'm not saying I don't have it" re:ethical blindness .

How is that smug ?

Your drowning in cognitive dissonance .

"

Cognitive Dissonance

Cognitive Dissonance "

Why thank you for understanding ! Thank you very much x

By *ueenbeetipp43Woman  over a year ago

tipperary

"

I always love your threads Kate

I always love your threads Kate "

I tip my neon pink fascinator in your direction as always !! Xx

No thanks for your higher ability for ethical blindness or smugness, dear. I missed nothing I can assure you

I literally said in a post "I'm not saying I don't have it" re:ethical blindness .

How is that smug ?

Your drowning in cognitive dissonance .

"

Your first sentence shows you’ve entirely missed my point - most likely deliberately.

Drowning in cognitive dissonance. Lol. You are really just wanting to have a thread where you want to feel superior aren’t ye. Well ye can’t have it. By the way it’s you’re.

We ain’t achieving anything here.

Your original point (if you had left out the barbs about those who don’t put up with cheating) had merit, albeit one that we all know anyway. I mean it’s perfectly obvious we all suffer from ethical blindness. So, bravo for stating the obvious, all coddled up in a bag of an attempt at a hidden agenda.

Maybe you could rename yourself Dissonance Drowning

East / North, Cork

"Cognative Dissonance"

Oh god please don't add ANOTHER thing I need to learn before I can understand and unpack more misconceived barbs in this thread. Life is too short.

East / North, Cork

Ps. Perhaps next time you copy and paste a definition of something you should make sure you include the whole definition.. because I STILL don't know what parts 2 and 3 of the definition of "ethical blindness" is. I can only find the first section of the sentence that you copied and the rest of the paper is behind a paywall. It's driving me mad.

"Ps. Perhaps next time you copy and paste a definition of something you should make sure you include the whole definition.. because I STILL don't know what parts 2 and 3 of the definition of "ethical blindness" is. I can only find the first section of the sentence that you copied and the rest of the paper is behind a paywall. It's driving me mad. "

With all the opinions and arguments flying about on fab, this is a first, seen someone reference actual published academic papers! I'm impressed

East / North, Cork

Lol you missed the squirting thread. I linked to an academic research paper on that one

"Lol you missed the squirting thread. I linked to an academic research paper on that one "

Oh really? Haha, I skipped that one. Everyone knows it's only pee

I understood ethical blindness to be an unconscio~s thing. If a person is aware that they are potentially breaking with ethics of their organisation or even personally, then that is unethical behaviour, so they are no longer blind, they are hell bent.

If the point being made is that nobody should call out the behaviour of others unless they are ethically chaste themselves, then you inferring some kin d of utopian existence, like Twitter, but in reverse.

By *rprotonMan  over a year ago

Dublin

"

What actually gets me is the uncontrollable desire to behave like a cheese dick to what is seen as an easy target, especially since it soon turns into a mob & herd mentality.

Personally, due to my own life experiences, always vomit a bit into my own mouth at the sight of such things, but that's my problem I am obviously oversharing there

As a wise woman once said: if you have nothing nice to say, keep quiet and shut your mouth!

East / North, Cork

"What actually gets me is the uncontrollable desire to behave like a cheese dick to what is seen as an easy target"

I completely agree. This uncontrollable desire to do whatever this sex act is, and he just HAS to act upon, does indeed make him behave like a cheese dick. She is indeed also an easy target for him.

"I understood ethical blindness to be an unconscio~s thing. If a person is aware that they are potentially breaking with ethics of their organisation or even personally, then that is unethical behaviour, so they are no longer blind, they are hell bent.

If the point being made is that nobody should call out the behaviour of others unless they are ethically chaste themselves, then you inferring some kin d of utopian existence, like Twitter, but in reverse. "

My point is through awareness of ethical blindness we can be more aware that regardless of how we put our own ethics on pedestals we don't chastise ourselves for breaking them but do with others.

Am I guilty of buying clothes made in sweat shops ? I'd imagine so . Being honest I don't check the origin of the clothes .

Do I eat meat ? Yes

Has it been ethicallu farmed ? I haven't a clue

Have I bought off Amazon ? Yes

Have I used a self service till contributing to job losses ? Yes.

Have I driven a gas guzzler and been concerned about climate xhange ? Yes

I could go on and on with examples.

What I am saying is our desires often cause us to break our ethics and I am absolutely guilty of that.

It is possible to critique but to criticise and not accept there are flaws in how humans conduct themselves across the board ignores typical behaviour.

East / North, Cork

That just doesn't make any sense to me. Your point seems to be that for example someone who eats meat, doesn't get to point out that murder is wrong.

"That just doesn't make any sense to me. Your point seems to be that for example someone who eats meat, doesn't get to point out that murder is wrong. "

I'm sorry you don't get the point .

Murder is a criminal act .

But.. if you were in a situation where it someone was in your house abusing your kid/abducting them and you had a gun ? I know I wouldn't be asking them to politely stop.

Life isn't black and white

Assumption of others lives and motivations are very often misjudged due to lack of informarion comhined with any number of psychological biases attached .

I also say the op has ethical blindness and I am saying I do not know his life story or his situation at present.

His partner may be abusive and he's afraid to leave ?

That happens for women and it happens to men also

Why won't he leave ? Maybe they have kids and he knows the courts will shaft him and he'll end up in a flat without a pot to piss in ?

Maybe he craves intimacy and has a basic human need for connection that is being totally dismissed

Maybe his partner is ill and sex drive has gone ? He may still adore her but still want sex ?

Maybe he has asked his partner to get help and she refuses. Calls him a perv for asking for sex ?

Maybe his partner has mental health issues and struggling amd the use of Ssriedixations has killed her libido ?

Maybe he isn't brave enough to end it ?

Maybe he is just a bollox and doesn't give a fiddlers fuck about anyone but himself.

All of those and much more are possible circumstances (not justifications) of how he ended up on fab .

I don't know the finer details and for me I don't to pat myself on the back and call him out when I know I have my own flaws . He's a grown man and the choice and consequences are for him to endure.

By *elfastDMan  over a year ago

belfast

This is a very interesting thread, which itself exhibits the behaviour that is being discussed.

A number of years ago I had to question my own behaviour as it clearly went against my own ethics of previous years. This then progressed further with me questioning my own ethics on other subjects and other areas. At this stage I guess I was in the process of Stage 1 of 3 that FilthyNights posted about.

I have found that since that point I have repeatedly been in Stage 1 and Stage 2 where I constantly reassess my own opinions and ethics and my own actions and ethics change as I grow and discover new things. I am an engineer and constantly have to assess and consider things carefully in my daily work life and this inevitably means I also constantly assess and consider most things I do personally as well.

I’m reality if you are aware to the possibility that you could be ethically blind then you automatically slip into stages 1, 2 and 3 purely by the process of questioning and reassessing what you think and do.

(This is a bit deeper than my usual jokes and fondness for a female rear but I guess I must just be in a more contemplative mood today)

East / North, Cork

I think you need to go back and reread that thread again. It was a thread about a guy who's partner just didn't want to do a particular sex act. He was on here because he wanted to do it and his partner didn't, and so he decided to join here to cheat on her and find someone who would do it. That seems fairly straightforward and has fuckall to do with abuse or any of the other justifications you listed out.

If you do reread it again you'll see my comment that was actually nonjudgemental which was saying that I thought he needed to look long and hard at whether this was worth it, because it could have big implications.

Imagine for a second that your sister came to you in tears and told you that she had discovered her partner cheated on her, and he had told her that it was because she didn't like oral sex, would that be OK? Would you feel that her husband shattering her life is OK in those circumstances? Or would you comfort her and tell her that her hubby is a prick.

"This is a very interesting thread, which itself exhibits the behaviour that is being discussed.

A number of years ago I had to question my own behaviour as it clearly went against my own ethics of previous years. This then progressed further with me questioning my own ethics on other subjects and other areas. At this stage I guess I was in the process of Stage 1 of 3 that FilthyNights posted about.

I have found that since that point I have repeatedly been in Stage 1 and Stage 2 where I constantly reassess my own opinions and ethics and my own actions and ethics change as I grow and discover new things. I am an engineer and constantly have to assess and consider things carefully in my daily work life and this inevitably means I also constantly assess and consider most things I do personally as well.

I’m reality if you are aware to the possibility that you could be ethically blind then you automatically slip into stages 1, 2 and 3 purely by the process of questioning and reassessing what you think and do.

(This is a bit deeper than my usual jokes and fondness for a female rear but I guess I must just be in a more contemplative mood today)"

I wonder how much of your cognitive mapping allowing you to challenge youraelf has come from (learned) being an engineer ?

The brain is far more plastic as a rule of rhumb uo to age 25 but with intent focus certainly possible to continue past that age

I found your post fascinating. Thank you for sharing

East / North, Cork

"This is a very interesting thread, which itself exhibits the behaviour that is being discussed.

(This is a bit deeper than my usual jokes and fondness for a female rear but I guess I must just be in a more contemplative mood today)"

Some interesting observations there for sure. My previous reply wasn't for you as I'm sure you are away. I am feeling contemplative also!

"I think you need to go back and reread that thread again. It was a thread about a guy who's partner just didn't want to do a particular sex act. He was on here because he wanted to do it and his partner didn't, and so he decided to join here to cheat on her and find someone who would do it. That seems fairly straightforward and has fuckall to do with abuse or any of the other justifications you listed out.

If you do reread it again you'll see my comment that was actually nonjudgemental which was saying that I thought he needed to look long and hard at whether this was worth it, because it could have big implications.

Imagine for a second that your sister came to you in tears and told you that she had discovered her partner cheated on her, and he had told her that it was because she didn't like oral sex, would that be OK? Would you feel that her husband shattering her life is OK in those circumstances? Or would you comfort her and tell her that her hubby is a prick. "

You seem to be quite angry about it and maybe it has touched a nerve with you (the original topic).

Maybe it hasn't either and I could be misjudging.

Either way. We're not on the same page at all and I totally respect your right to have a different opinion to me. I don't see any road to progress in continuing the discussion but thank you for your input.

Hapoy Fabbing to you

Excellent post - makes so much sense. It speaks volumes of those that can’t make sense of it.

Well done ??

What I find fascinating about this topic is that the topic that inspired it seems to be one of the few topics on here that seems to merit the debate.

Guy sends abusive mail no body posts asking others to consider what he may be going through.

Someone posts something perceived to be misogynistic or racist there is little discussion of what caused this outlook or the posters past experiances.

I wouldnt condone either action but then I know I'm a judging price anyway.

What is it about playing away in particular that always solicits such a debate and referencing to ethical blindness (granted in simpler terms).

By *ublinGirl92Woman  over a year ago

Hell

Every single person is ethically blind. We are guided by our own sense of morality. You don't seem to be accounting for any sort of scale. Unethical behaviour is not all on one level.

If I have a one night stand and then ghost them after, that is unethical behaviour and definitely makes me a bit of a prick. But it isn't on the same scale as mass murderer, for example.

People are passionate about cheating being deeply wrong because we can empathise with someone being cheated on. Most have experienced it or a betrayal similar.

Whereas children in sweatshops is far removed from our day to day reality that it's easy for people to put out of their minds. There is definitely a cognitive dissonance when it comes to sweatshops. People love to buy cheap clothes but they don't like to think about where they come from.

It's just not as simple as you're making it out to be.

By *elfastDMan  over a year ago

belfast

(This is a bit deeper than my usual jokes and fondness for a female rear but I guess I must just be in a more contemplative mood today)

I wonder how much of your cognitive mapping allowing you to challenge youraelf has come from (learned) being an engineer ?

The brain is far more plastic as a rule of rhumb uo to age 25 but with intent focus certainly possible to continue past that age

I found your post fascinating. Thank you for sharing"

I think you are correct Kate, my background as an engineer has definitely shaped my ethical awareness and questioning. It drives my friends mad a lot of the time as I constantly question “why?” and I can be seen as quite emotionless at times as I process things logically. In recent times I have even been encouraged to think of things that went well during a day to ensure my constant looking for problems doesn’t push me down a spiral of only seeing the problems.

"Every single person is ethically blind. We are guided by our own sense of morality. You don't seem to be accounting for any sort of scale. Unethical behaviour is not all on one level.

If I have a one night stand and then ghost them after, that is unethical behaviour and definitely makes me a bit of a prick. But it isn't on the same scale as mass murderer, for example.

People are passionate about cheating being deeply wrong because we can empathise with someone being cheated on. Most have experienced it or a betrayal similar.

Whereas children in sweatshops is far removed from our day to day reality that it's easy for people to put out of their minds. There is definitely a cognitive dissonance when it comes to sweatshops. People love to buy cheap clothes but they don't like to think about where they come from.

It's just not as simple as you're making it out to be. "

That's a fair comment and you are right there is different levels for sure .

Thank you for your well thought out comment

Much appreciated

Critical thinking is sexy and this post has accomplished somehow to motivate that

East / North, Cork

"What I find fascinating about this topic is that the topic that inspired it seems to be one of the few topics on here that seems to merit the debate.

Guy sends abusive mail no body posts asking others to consider what he may be going through.

Someone posts something perceived to be misogynistic or racist there is little discussion of what caused this outlook or the posters past experiances.

I wouldnt condone either action but then I know I'm a judging price anyway.

What is it about playing away in particular that always solicits such a debate and referencing to ethical blindness (granted in simpler terms).

"

You're absolutely right. The same level of analysis attempting to draw parallels and do psychological deep-dives and make justifications just doesn't come up here for other ethical questions. I think it's because of the vested personal interests with regards sex, and the need to turn a blind eye in order to maximise the opportunity for sex here.

For anyone wondering I'm not angry and neither do I have any personal animosity to anyone who posted here or in the other thread. Disagreement is OK. I don't think I got personal and I'm sorry if anyone felt attacked as that wasn't my intention at all. I just felt that this was a thinly veiled pointed thread in the first place so I felt I had to try and understand and refute where i felt necessary.

"Critical thinking is sexy and this post has accomplished somehow to motivate that "

Thank you.

"What actually gets me is the uncontrollable desire to behave like a cheese dick to what is seen as an easy target

I completely agree. This uncontrollable desire to do whatever this sex act is, and he just HAS to act upon, does indeed make him behave like a cheese dick. She is indeed also an easy target for him. "

Nice retort

"That just doesn't make any sense to me. Your point seems to be that for example someone who eats meat, doesn't get to point out that murder is wrong. "

Yea, seems to be a proponent the promotion of consciously lowering the bar of how we might expect ourselves to behave simply as we might think “agh, sure others have done worse”.

Or, sure they’re grand sexually abusing someone seeing as I didn’t pay my taxes.

It’s like “agh, sure what can we expect. No point trying”

There’s such a thing as trying to hold ourselves to higher standards and if we fall down we reflect upon it and try to better ourselves in future.

Kates thing looks more like excusing anything simply because others have also messed up in the past.

Nah

"I think you need to go back and reread that thread again. It was a thread about a guy who's partner just didn't want to do a particular sex act. He was on here because he wanted to do it and his partner didn't, and so he decided to join here to cheat on her and find someone who would do it. That seems fairly straightforward and has fuckall to do with abuse or any of the other justifications you listed out.

Imagine for a second that your sister came to you in tears and told you that she had discovered her partner cheated on her, and he had told her that it was because she didn't like oral sex, would that be OK? Would you feel that her husband shattering her life is OK in those circumstances? Or would you comfort her and tell her that her hubby is a prick.

You seem to be quite angry about it and maybe it has touched a nerve with you (the original topic).

Maybe it hasn't either and I could be misjudging.

Either way. We're not on the same page at all and I totally respect your right to have a different opinion to me. I don't see any road to progress in continuing the discussion but thank you for your input.

Hapoy Fabbing to you "

You avoided addressing filthy’s comment altogether and simply poorly attempted gaslighting with the you seem angry bit.

Maybe actually play the ball and not the person. Just a thought. You still give off this “loftier than thou philosophical shite” vibe

You forgot the quotation marks

"

Or, sure they’re grand sexually abusing someone seeing as I didn’t pay my taxes.

Kates thing looks more like excusing anything simply because others have also messed up in the past.

Nah "

And you you mean ‘Kate’s’ right?

[Removed by poster at 07/05/21 19:34:49]

[Removed by poster at 07/05/21 19:35:26]

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Wicklow

I have many skeletons in my closet(but none under the patio).

On reflection, the word "cheating" is loaded with accusation, and moral outrage. It's a presumption of guilt, an imposition of shame. This is a swingers site, so in principle, a broad range of sexual behaviours is acceptable, and open for reasoned discussion. What if we changed the language,...?. Can we be more considerate of those who need their sexual satisfaction outside the primary relationship, of those who don't have the language, communication skills, courage, or desire to discuss with a partner that their sexual needs are not being met. Our sexual needs and desires are our birthright.

"I have many skeletons in my closet(but none under the patio).

On reflection, the word "cheating" is loaded with accusation, and moral outrage. It's a presumption of guilt, an imposition of shame. This is a swingers site, so in principle, a broad range of sexual behaviours is acceptable, and open for reasoned discussion. What if we changed the language,...?. Can we be more considerate of those who need their sexual satisfaction outside the primary relationship, of those who don't have the language, communication skills, courage, or desire to discuss with a partner that their sexual needs are not being met. Our sexual needs and desires are our birthright. "

Everyone could be more considerate, including those who need their sexual needs met outside a relationship.

There are lots of things that are out birthright, sex being one and safety/trust being another. Our rights are continuously and should be balanced against other people’s rights and our own responsibilities

Wicklow

On reflection, the word "cheating" is loaded with accusation, and moral outrage. It's a presumption of guilt, an imposition of shame. This is a swingers site, so in principle, a broad range of sexual behaviours is acceptable, and open for reasoned discussion. What if we changed the language,...?. Can we be more considerate of those who need their sexual satisfaction outside the primary relationship, of those who don't have the language, communication skills, courage, or desire to discuss with a partner that their sexual needs are not being met. Our sexual needs and desires are our birthright.

Everyone could be more considerate, including those who need their sexual needs met outside a relationship.

There are lots of things that are out birthright, sex being one and safety/trust being another. Our rights are continuously and should be balanced against other people’s rights and our own responsibilities "

But this closes down the conversation. It's a discussion, a sharing of viewpoints. I cant argue with what you say, but neither can I continue the conversation, as you have a very fixed point of view. That's OK,.. Im a libertine, very Liberal, multi cultural influences, i need to tease out the nuances of choice, obligation, custom, culture,.. And of course my pleasure.

Sexual pleasure being seen as birthright is troublesome to me...

Any sense of entitlement and sex seems like a bad concept....

Wicklow

"Sexual pleasure being seen as birthright is troublesome to me...

Any sense of entitlement and sex seems like a bad concept...."

We, in Ireland live in a culture where pleasure is a reward, to be gifted after it is earned, after penance, even only after death. What If pleasure was our entitlement, not be gifted only after having "earned" it?

We, in Ireland live in a culture where pleasure is a reward, to be gifted after it is earned, after penance, even only after death. What If pleasure was our entitlement, not be gifted only after having "earned" it? "

What are you actually talking about after penance and death.....

Can we keep the conversation in reality or just not bother

There are lots of things that are out birthright, sex being one and safety/trust being another. Our rights are continuously and should be balanced against other people’s rights and our own responsibilities

But this closes down the conversation. It's a discussion, a sharing of viewpoints. I cant argue with what you say, but neither can I continue the conversation, as you have a very fixed point of view. That's OK,.. Im a libertine, very Liberal, multi cultural influences, i need to tease out the nuances of choice, obligation, custom, culture,.. And of course my pleasure. "

If you can’t argue with what I say then it’s not my fault if it “closes down the conversation”.

As someone else quite reasonably points out it is very troublesome to assume any possible birthright and ideally I could amend my previous comment to more accurately represent what I truly meant. But I think the essence of what I was saying has clearly been put across to you.

The stuff you say about being a libertine doesn’t really serve you well in this context as it seems to suggest a superiority over me in that you want to convey a more reasonable and engaging approach than me.

Which actually totally contradicts the fact that you admit you can’t argue with anything I say.

In one statement you agree with what I say and yet almost immediately you are not so subtly trying to call me unreasonable, conservative, lacking nuance etc

I’m afraid your entire point is therefore quit mixed up and to be quite honest, misguided and totally non committal. Kind of aiming to appeal to all without offending anyone - sitting on the fence type stuff if I had to put my money where my mouth is as well as contradictory of course.

Any sense of entitlement and sex seems like a bad concept...."

I agree

There are many places in the world where nothing is a birthright to certain sections of society, even in Ireland.

Even the word birthright carries a connotation of privilege, expectation of receipt, demand, superiority, ruling ethos.

We are owed fuck all in life and those of us born into a world where we are automatically provided with more than we might have expected to start with are simply recipients of incredible good fortune

Birthright is really a word that the more I think of it, makes me very queasy

We, in Ireland live in a culture where pleasure is a reward, to be gifted after it is earned, after penance, even only after death. What If pleasure was our entitlement, not be gifted only after having "earned" it? "

We are entitled to fuck all in Ireland compared to anyone else. Coming across as very white man privileged here

I’m sure lots of sexual predators feel entitled to sex or power or control too. That doesn’t make them right

Wicklow

I think the thread has wandered and rambled away from the OP's post on ethical blindness. Good night, all.

May your nocturnal pleasure seeking not cause you to go blind.

I had a conversation with my vegetation daughter very similar to the beginning of this discussion. We all see the world through our eyes, and there is no such thing as subjective vision

Dublin

"

I think you are correct Kate, my background as an engineer has definitely shaped my ethical awareness and questioning. It drives my friends mad a lot of the time as I constantly question “why?” and I can be seen as quite emotionless at times as I process things logically. In recent times I have even been encouraged to think of things that went well during a day to ensure my constant looking for problems doesn’t push me down a spiral of only seeing the problems. "

Yeap, as my grandad used to say, hang your work with your hat as you walk through the door of your home.

Otherwise that constant critical, problem solving brain will start looking for problems everywhere and drive you down some pretty dark and unpleasant places.

Dublin

"What actually gets me is the uncontrollable desire to behave like a cheese dick to what is seen as an easy target

I completely agree. This uncontrollable desire to do whatever this sex act is, and he just HAS to act upon, does indeed make him behave like a cheese dick. She is indeed also an easy target for him. "

Erm... Not sure what this is about and I think you took my comment a little bit out of context there, etc...

But... Whatever

I was referring to the so called busy bodies, moral police, etc... Who give themselves the right to be Judge Dredds, and then kick off what effectively amounts to a lynch, just because, oh my god, we do not agree with this person, even though 99pct have no idea what exactly is going on but are happy to join the queue for casting stones.

Dublin

We, in Ireland live in a culture where pleasure is a reward, to be gifted after it is earned, after penance, even only after death. What If pleasure was our entitlement, not be gifted only after having "earned" it?

We are entitled to fuck all in Ireland compared to anyone else. Coming across as very white man privileged here

I’m sure lots of sexual predators feel entitled to sex or power or control too. That doesn’t make them right "

A proverb says: you MUST do only two things in life: be born, and die. Everything in between is a choice.

However, seeing how without sex birth for our kind is kinda not gonna happen, it does somewhat speak to the fact that sex is indeed, a god given right.

Now, if some choose to take it to the extremes where it actually harms or hurts another, that would be a subject for another topic.

I’m sure lots of sexual predators feel entitled to sex or power or control too. That doesn’t make them right

A proverb says: you MUST do only two things in life: be born, and die. Everything in between is a choice.

However, seeing how without sex birth for our kind is kinda not gonna happen, it does somewhat speak to the fact that sex is indeed, a god given right.

Now, if some choose to take it to the extremes where it actually harms or hurts another, that would be a subject for another topic. "

Sex is certainly not a right. It certainly isn’t necessarily god given. That part depends on your belief system or possibly one doesn’t have any belief system

Just because we are born with sexual organs and that procreation only takes place through sex (well mostly), it still for just make it a right. No one has a right to anything or anyone. We earn or work for these things. We make effort.

How can you actually think someone has a right to sex just because they have sexual organs.

Sure maybe in that case I’ve a right to kill someone with my bare hands

East / North, Cork

Sex with yourself is a right. Sex with other people is a privilege. Human beings can choose how they behave. With that ability to choose comes responsibility to behave decently. That means different things to different people as has been expressed here. I do believe that not causing harm to those who we be holding closest to our hearts for trivial selfish reasons is an absolutely rock-bottom level of decent behaviour. In all other areas of our lives we hold this as an inalienable truth. Not so here. I don't know why.

Also... this thread was never really about "ethical blindness". I think we all know what it was really about.

"Sex with yourself is a right. Sex with other people is a privilege. Human beings can choose how they behave. With that ability to choose comes responsibility to behave decently. That means different things to different people as has been expressed here. I do believe that not causing harm to those who we be holding closest to our hearts for trivial selfish reasons is an absolutely rock-bottom level of decent behaviour. In all other areas of our lives we hold this as an inalienable truth. Not so here. I don't know why.

Also... this thread was never really about "ethical blindness". I think we all know what it was really about."

It is about ethical blindness which was tangental to the other thread .

I specifically included myself as somene with ethicak blindness so to suggest otherwise is quite frankly wrong . You weren't in my head when I posted the thread with all due respect you are internalising and have a cognitive bias to believe otherwise .

You are entitled to think what tou want but using examples on the forum to highlught a very common human trait is very relevant to the context.

Ooh lot of potential here. Night of took a slight nose dive at points. But Intresting stuff. Thought provoking..

NOW SHOW ME YOUR Knockersss wheeeyyyy!?

By *dfabMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne

And ye'll all have this kind of conversation in a club before you fuck someone that you just want to fuck?

Methinks not.

Will you even check if they're married if they look like Tom Hardy/Brad Pitt/George Clooney?

Again methinks not.

Yet here, before the list is real, yer all pious shites

"And ye'll all have this kind of conversation in a club before you fuck someone that you just want to fuck?

Methinks not.

Will you even check if they're married if they look like Tom Hardy/Brad Pitt/George Clooney?

Again methinks not.

Yet here, before the list is real, yer all pious shites "

I would try me damn best to sniff out if they’re married or not. Me thinks you’re just projecting

By *dfabMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne

"And ye'll all have this kind of conversation in a club before you fuck someone that you just want to fuck?

Methinks not.

Again methinks not.

I would try me damn best to sniff out if they’re married or not. Me thinks you’re just projecting "

No.

I keep my projector for movie night

Methinks not.

Again methinks not.

I would try me damn best to sniff out if they’re married or not. Me thinks you’re just projecting

No.

I keep my projector for movie night "

Good man yer self!

Honestly tho it ain’t that hard to figure out when you want to and you’ve half a brain. It’s a too common excuse from crappy behaved people

» Add a new message to this topic