FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > It seems

It seems

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ontbesillywrapyourwilly OP   Man  over a year ago

Tipperary

An obvious one to me. Open the pubs (publicans can man there own premises), close the off licenses, a huge area which fuels house parties which have been linked to many outbreaks. What's your outlook going forward?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You are suggesting no off licence sales whatsoever to put a stop to home drinking?

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

I agree. Encourage adults to take personal responsibility. Darwin would approve.

Tipperary

"You are suggesting no off licence sales whatsoever to put a stop to home drinking? "
off licences are where students in particular are buying their drink to fuel house parties. If off licences were shut you dont have the same issue at all plus I dont for the life of me see why a pub /restaurant (controlled environent) shuts and off licences and alcohol sections in supermarkets are open which are fuelling these house parties. There is many diff areas I dont agree with. Pure bonkers putting the whole country to level 3 for starters.

It’s probably worth a debate on it at the very least. A friend of mine lives in a country where all alcohol sales in shops were banned for a couple of different periods.

I’m not saying they should be outright closed but I think a healthy debate couldn’t cause any harm

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

I agree but the off sales in the pub would also have to be stopped

Tipperary

I personally believe pubs and restaurants should be open and maybe introduce further restrictions on off licences and sale of alcohol in supermarkets

"I agree but the off sales in the pub would also have to be stopped "

Yea that’s true. Would people be prepared to accept that? I’m pretty sure I would. I’d prefer not to see families and people go belly up and lose businesses, houses, health etc than to facilitate house parties, outside gatherings and a few beers for people.

It’s about a balance of rights really at the heart of it.

I’d be prepared to Male these small sacrifices rather than people have to make huge sacrifices. And let’s be clear, that’s what these big gatherings are cussing right now - huge sacrifices.

We all know government could do better and could come up with better plans for business but that doesn’t give partiers the license (pun intended) to give the fingers to everyone and act entirely selfish

Tipperary

They moved the goalposts on what level 3 restrictions ment for pubs and restaurants on what they originally said.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I've a better idea, keep everything open but no alcohol for under 35 years old.

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

It's almost as if they want pubs to go bust so they can be bought for peanuts further down the line by wealthy business men and/or women.

Such things would never happen in Ireland, would they?

I disagree. Remember the big assed parties that people would have on Good Friday, just because they werent allowed to drink, everyone would decide that they NEED to drink?

I'm certain if you introduced prohibition, every student will have that one friend who managed to get a pile of cans and bottles of vodka, and the parties would be even bigger.

Either that or they will just get pills, as they are a lot easier to get and cheaper. So they will just spend the night rolling in sweat, rubbing their skin against eachother

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

They should also legalise cannabis while they're at it

Extra tax revenue and calm everyone down to fuck

Tipperary

"I disagree. Remember the big assed parties that people would have on Good Friday, just because they werent allowed to drink, everyone would decide that they NEED to drink?

I'm certain if you introduced prohibition, every student will have that one friend who managed to get a pile of cans and bottles of vodka, and the parties would be even bigger.

Either that or they will just get pills, as they are a lot easier to get and cheaper. So they will just spend the night rolling in sweat, rubbing their skin against eachother"

so how do u suggest a curb to house parties which have been highlighted as a big cause for outbreaks?

It wouldn't matter to me too much but for people in isolation that look forward to having a drink and relaxing (I hate it as they could do better thing). But for loads it woul be a last straw. Your going to just have level 2-3 from here on out. Sweenden did little or no lockdown..or at maybe a level 2 type thing all the time.

They should allow small amounts in the restaurants...or if they close a place have a no charge in the payments the building the owners might have. Pay them there PUP etc.

From day one those in the know would say the prevention cannot be worse than the disease.

"I disagree. Remember the big assed parties that people would have on Good Friday, just because they werent allowed to drink, everyone would decide that they NEED to drink?

Either that or they will just get pills, as they are a lot easier to get and cheaper. So they will just spend the night rolling in sweat, rubbing their skin against eachother"

Yes exactly.

Look at the figures it's like 430 cases a day and every 3 days there is a death.

This is much better than the before time in the long long ago.

The rate of actual her immunity be actually possible with these numbers.

Either that or they will just get pills, as they are a lot easier to get and cheaper. So they will just spend the night rolling in sweat, rubbing their skin against eachotherso how do u suggest a curb to house parties which have been highlighted as a big cause for outbreaks?"

Maybe introduce tax breaks to people who report parties, re-introduce corperal punishment, I dunno. Maybe there isnt an answer.

But I do think that if alcohol is banned, then students will find a way to get it regardless, and itll only make them even more eager to party.

Tipperary

Either that or they will just get pills, as they are a lot easier to get and cheaper. So they will just spend the night rolling in sweat, rubbing their skin against eachotherso how do u suggest a curb to house parties which have been highlighted as a big cause for outbreaks?

Maybe introduce tax breaks to people who report parties, re-introduce corperal punishment, I dunno. Maybe there isnt an answer.

But I do think that if alcohol is banned, then students will find a way to get it regardless, and itll only make them even more eager to party. "

your last line is why pubs should of been left open with indoor service. Pubs closed, house parties increase.

Good Friday is a very different comparison. With lockdown in place, you could have Garda spotchecks among major entry and exit points to the north. Also, most of the country is also much too far from the north and most people aren’t going to risk it. To possibly have the drink confiscated

In terms of parties with just drugs you have a decent point. But I still feel you’d cut out a sizeable portion of them or at east reduce the numbers at each of them considerably to have a decent effect. Something has to be done and you can be guaranteed that this level 3 going to stop nearly any of them continuing to take the piss on a large scale

It’s all moot though because banning off sales will never happen anyway I’d think

Either that or they will just get pills, as they are a lot easier to get and cheaper. So they will just spend the night rolling in sweat, rubbing their skin against eachotherso how do u suggest a curb to house parties which have been highlighted as a big cause for outbreaks?

But I do think that if alcohol is banned, then students will find a way to get it regardless, and itll only make them even more eager to party. "

Haha corporal punishment I like the humour

It in your student point, willingness doesn’t always equal ability or determination. Of course there’ll be plenty who’ll try their best and succeed but I think it would dissuade enough to have a meaningful effect

All moot anyway I guess due to this being entirely a theoretical discussion

"An obvious one to me. Open the pubs (publicans can man there own premises), close the off licenses, a huge area which fuels house parties which have been linked to many outbreaks. What's your outlook going forward?"

While a good point I can't see it ever happening. Booze has a higher tax in Ireland then most of the rest of Europe. The government won't ban something that brings in that kind of money.

By *ofusplusCouple  over a year ago

Limerick

"so how do u suggest a curb to house parties which have been highlighted as a big cause for outbreaks?"

Heard that a student was expelled from UL for having a house party. Not sure how true it is but even if it's untrue, it was a brilliant idea as that's what will curb the house parties. I agree that pubs and restaurants should be open as their closure will only encourage the house parties. We can see Dublin cases dropping so Level 3 may be sufficient in curbing the numbers, time will tell. Level 5 was a crazy recommendation, whatever our Tony was thinking

Tipperary

"An obvious one to me. Open the pubs (publicans can man there own premises), close the off licenses, a huge area which fuels house parties which have been linked to many outbreaks. What's your outlook going forward?

While a good point I can't see it ever happening. Booze has a higher tax in Ireland then most of the rest of Europe. The government won't ban something that brings in that kind of money. "

but I bet theyll keep locking down the country thus damaging peoples mental health and livelihoods.

Tipperary

"so how do u suggest a curb to house parties which have been highlighted as a big cause for outbreaks?

Heard that a student was expelled from UL for having a house party. Not sure how true it is but even if it's untrue, it was a brilliant idea as that's what will curb the house parties. I agree that pubs and restaurants should be open as their closure will only encourage the house parties. We can see Dublin cases dropping so Level 3 may be sufficient in curbing the numbers, time will tell. Level 5 was a crazy recommendation, whatever our Tony was thinking "

if tony was in charge all along the pubs wouldnt of got back open at all. He was only back a wet minute and suggesting level 5 restrictions.

By *ofusplusCouple  over a year ago

Limerick

"so how do u suggest a curb to house parties which have been highlighted as a big cause for outbreaks?

Heard that a student was expelled from UL for having a house party. Not sure how true it is but even if it's untrue, it was a brilliant idea as that's what will curb the house parties. I agree that pubs and restaurants should be open as their closure will only encourage the house parties. We can see Dublin cases dropping so Level 3 may be sufficient in curbing the numbers, time will tell. Level 5 was a crazy recommendation, whatever our Tony was thinking if tony was in charge all along the pubs wouldnt of got back open at all. He was only back a wet minute and suggesting level 5 restrictions. "

Quite proud of our Govt for once in rejecting the recommendation.

Tipperary

Heard that a student was expelled from UL for having a house party. Not sure how true it is but even if it's untrue, it was a brilliant idea as that's what will curb the house parties. I agree that pubs and restaurants should be open as their closure will only encourage the house parties. We can see Dublin cases dropping so Level 3 may be sufficient in curbing the numbers, time will tell. Level 5 was a crazy recommendation, whatever our Tony was thinking if tony was in charge all along the pubs wouldnt of got back open at all. He was only back a wet minute and suggesting level 5 restrictions.

Quite proud of our Govt for once in rejecting the recommendation."

you couldnt put the whole country to L5. sone counties are actually doing decent enough and Imagine they have been punished and are at the same level as dublin and donegal.

Heard that a student was expelled from UL for having a house party. Not sure how true it is but even if it's untrue, it was a brilliant idea as that's what will curb the house parties. I agree that pubs and restaurants should be open as their closure will only encourage the house parties. We can see Dublin cases dropping so Level 3 may be sufficient in curbing the numbers, time will tell. Level 5 was a crazy recommendation, whatever our Tony was thinking if tony was in charge all along the pubs wouldnt of got back open at all. He was only back a wet minute and suggesting level 5 restrictions.

Quite proud of our Govt for once in rejecting the recommendation."

Yes it did instill the human emotion you call pride. It was quite good.

Off licence is also where I buy my bottle of wine and sit at home on my own all weekend.. Instead of going to the pub lol.

Maybe restrict amount that can be purchased instead?

"An obvious one to me. Open the pubs (publicans can man there own premises), close the off licenses, a huge area which fuels house parties which have been linked to many outbreaks. What's your outlook going forward?

While a good point I can't see it ever happening. Booze has a higher tax in Ireland then most of the rest of Europe. The government won't ban something that brings in that kind of money. but I bet theyll keep locking down the country thus damaging peoples mental health and livelihoods. "

And saving vulnerable people. Don't get me wrong, we are as suck of them as anyone but we see the point of them.

By *imsum55Man  over a year ago

dublin

Has anybody been to a house party? I dont know anyone who has.

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

"Has anybody been to a house party? I dont know anyone who has."

More than a few...

tipperary

"Has anybody been to a house party? I dont know anyone who has.

More than a few..."

And not been to a house party myself...I know more than a few that have

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

"An obvious one to me. Open the pubs (publicans can man there own premises), close the off licenses, a huge area which fuels house parties which have been linked to many outbreaks. What's your outlook going forward?"

I very seldom go to the pub but i like a glass of wine at home

Tipperary

"Off licence is also where I buy my bottle of wine and sit at home on my own all weekend.. Instead of going to the pub lol.

Maybe restrict amount that can be purchased instead? "

yep that could come in.

tipperary

So....they should do this...and they should do that....what should they do to get numbers of cases down?

Tipperary

While a good point I can't see it ever happening. Booze has a higher tax in Ireland then most of the rest of Europe. The government won't ban something that brings in that kind of money. but I bet theyll keep locking down the country thus damaging peoples mental health and livelihoods.

And saving vulnerable people. Don't get me wrong, we are as suck of them as anyone but we see the point of them. "

I care about people who are committing suicide because of all of this when their job is gone etc. Mental health is taking a huge hit. I see the point of levels where need fit. Counties are still doing generally well but are hit with level 3 restrictions. There should be diff restrictions for all counties in Ireland.

Tipperary

I very seldom go to the pub but i like a glass of wine at home"

I'm the opposite. I'm a social drinker and have no mass drinking at home on my own.

While a good point I can't see it ever happening. Booze has a higher tax in Ireland then most of the rest of Europe. The government won't ban something that brings in that kind of money. but I bet theyll keep locking down the country thus damaging peoples mental health and livelihoods.

And saving vulnerable people. Don't get me wrong, we are as suck of them as anyone but we see the point of them. I care about people who are committing suicide because of all of this when their job is gone etc. Mental health is taking a huge hit. I see the point of levels where need fit. Counties are still doing generally well but are hit with level 3 restrictions. There should be diff restrictions for all counties in Ireland. "

I agree. I don't understand why we all got hit with it. As for mental health I hope they will sort something for people suffering with theirs as it is something seriously overlooked here.

"Off licence is also where I buy my bottle of wine and sit at home on my own all weekend.. Instead of going to the pub lol.

Maybe restrict amount that can be purchased instead? "

It’s a thought I’ve had too. It would be great if it could be done well. The only issue would be of people boarded for a crazy party or two every couple of weeks or black market stuff or black market coupons etc being produced.

I think some countries have some rules like these even in normal times. Could be wrong

I very seldom go to the pub but i like a glass of wine at homeI'm the opposite. I'm a social drinker and have no mass drinking at home on my own. "

I much prefer social drinking too and until this pandemic rarely kept beer at home. Now I have the odd couple at home hit there are plenty better things to do at home to de stress than drink on your own. At least when you’re out drinking 3/4 beers it’s with company which has a positive effect due to the interaction of human company and fun along with a sensible amount of drink

Tipperary

I very seldom go to the pub but i like a glass of wine at homeI'm the opposite. I'm a social drinker and have no mass drinking at home on my own.

I much prefer social drinking too and until this pandemic rarely kept beer at home. Now I have the odd couple at home hit there are plenty better things to do at home to de stress than drink on your own. At least when you’re out drinking 3/4 beers it’s with company which has a positive effect due to the interaction of human company and fun along with a sensible amount of drink "

its the social interaction which most humans love. That's what's missed. I never thought we would see a country wide lockdown again but with holohan back, I wouldn't be so sure.

Tipperary

***Breaking News***

A sad indictment of a country!!!

THE CHAIRPERSON of Shannondoc Dr Patrick Morrissey has been removed from his position, after he delivered a scathing anti-Covid restriction speech against Nphet and the Government at a rally in Dublin at the weekend.

Dr Patrick Morrissey, who operates a clinic in Adare, explained that a meeting of the Shannondoc board on Monday night concluded that he was to be removed from the board as chairman and director.

In his lengthy speech that was widely circulated on social media, Dr Morrissey said that the National Public Health Emergency Team [Nphet] was “completely out of touch” and it “should be scrapped”.

At the rally, hosted by the Yellow Vest movement and Health Freedom Ireland , he said that Nphet “believe your health is determined by a stupid swab result” and that it is “meaningless data being used to subdue the people” in reference to the increased casedemic and the PCR testing, combined with the stats and data from the HSE and Nphet themselves..

“We must take back our country and our freedoms from these megalomaniac bureaucrats,” he told a cheering crowd.

He told the Irish media that evidence has mounted up to show that “we are practically at the level of herd immunity now”.

He told the rally that the pandemic is “by any reasonable definition no longer a health emergency” as it kills people with an average age of 84 and that 90% of deaths are in over-65s.

When asked about this view, Dr Morrissey said: “People die every day. I was at the bedside of a patient who died yesterday. I see death all the time. People are abstracted. People don’t understand they’ve got a death phobia. Death is part of life. And the Government and Nphet are using people’s fear of death—irrational fear of death—as a hammer to beat them.”

During the rally, he hit out at Nphet, stating that their definition of health meant “zero Covid”.

“I would argue that health is playing a match or cheering on your team from the stands. Health is getting married in and celebrating with those you love. Health is looking out on a sea of smiling maskless faces,” he said.

Asked if he was anti-mask, the Limerick GP said: “I am against MANDATORY masks in lower risk settings. So in clinical settings, I have no problem with masks. In places where there is unavoidable close contact over 15 minutes, I am okay with masks.” As is the stance of both Yellow Vest Ireland and Health Freedom Ireland.

“We must stop the Government’s heavy handedness and suppression of our hard fought freedoms. It suits them not to give them back. We went along with the Government strategy in March when we saw the chaotic scenes in Spain and Italy.

“Now we know so much more. The curve has been well and truly flattened. The current measures are way more damaging to health than the risk of Covid they pretend to be protecting us from.”

“Every day I see the negative physical and psychological fallout of these continuing restrictions. NPHET as it currently stands should be scrapped. Doctors should be allowed to treat high risk patients in the community. This way we can keep more of them out of hospital. The daily case numbers must stop being pushed by the media on a people suffering more from Covid fatigue than Covid.”

Asked if it was fair that he was removed from his position at Shannondoc, Dr Morrissey said: “I think it’s a sad indictment of a country that we live in and the time we live in, that things are so polarised and there isn’t room for free speech, and that I would be penalised because of that. But I respect the board’s integrity and they have made a judgement.”

A spokesperson for Shannondoc said that Dr Morrissey “is no longer its chairperson or a member of the board.

“We wish to thank Dr Morrissey for his significant contribution to the development of the cooperative during his tenure. We will embark on the process of appointing Dr Morrissey’s successor with immediate effect.”

Yellow Vest Ireland and our supporters would like to personally thank Dr Morrissey and all those other Doctors and healthcare professionals who have spoken out against the government's narrative at great sacrifice and personal cost.

I enjoy a few pints on a sat and sun night in the pub with my mates. Since March I have only had a handful of drinks at home. The pub is for some people their only chance to socialise. I can see both sides of the coin here and it is unfair that off licences can sell alcohol and pubs that spent a lot of money preparing for covid cant.

"I enjoy a few pints on a sat and sun night in the pub with my mates. Since March I have only had a handful of drinks at home. The pub is for some people their only chance to socialise. I can see both sides of the coin here and it is unfair that off licences can sell alcohol and pubs that spent a lot of money preparing for covid cant."

Very good point in relation the lack of fairness. You raise an important issue re competition etc and fairness in the market. Maybe off licenses of any kind should also be carrying some of the pain load that pubs and restaurants are

East / North, Cork

"***Breaking News***

THE CHAIRPERSON of Shannondoc Dr Patrick Morrissey has been removed from his position, after he delivered a scathing anti-Covid restriction speech against Nphet and the Government at a rally in Dublin at the weekend.

Dr Patrick Morrissey, who operates a clinic in Adare, explained that a meeting of the Shannondoc board on Monday night concluded that he was to be removed from the board as chairman and director.

In his lengthy speech that was widely circulated on social media, Dr Morrissey said that the National Public Health Emergency Team [Nphet] was “completely out of touch” and it “should be scrapped”.

At the rally, hosted by the Yellow Vest movement and Health Freedom Ireland , he said that Nphet “believe your health is determined by a stupid swab result” and that it is “meaningless data being used to subdue the people” in reference to the increased casedemic and the PCR testing, combined with the stats and data from the HSE and Nphet themselves..

“We must take back our country and our freedoms from these megalomaniac bureaucrats,” he told a cheering crowd.

He told the Irish media that evidence has mounted up to show that “we are practically at the level of herd immunity now”.

He told the rally that the pandemic is “by any reasonable definition no longer a health emergency” as it kills people with an average age of 84 and that 90% of deaths are in over-65s.

When asked about this view, Dr Morrissey said: “People die every day. I was at the bedside of a patient who died yesterday. I see death all the time. People are abstracted. People don’t understand they’ve got a death phobia. Death is part of life. And the Government and Nphet are using people’s fear of death—irrational fear of death—as a hammer to beat them.”

During the rally, he hit out at Nphet, stating that their definition of health meant “zero Covid”.

“I would argue that health is playing a match or cheering on your team from the stands. Health is getting married in and celebrating with those you love. Health is looking out on a sea of smiling maskless faces,” he said.

Asked if he was anti-mask, the Limerick GP said: “I am against MANDATORY masks in lower risk settings. So in clinical settings, I have no problem with masks. In places where there is unavoidable close contact over 15 minutes, I am okay with masks.” As is the stance of both Yellow Vest Ireland and Health Freedom Ireland.

“We must stop the Government’s heavy handedness and suppression of our hard fought freedoms. It suits them not to give them back. We went along with the Government strategy in March when we saw the chaotic scenes in Spain and Italy.

“Now we know so much more. The curve has been well and truly flattened. The current measures are way more damaging to health than the risk of Covid they pretend to be protecting us from.”

“Every day I see the negative physical and psychological fallout of these continuing restrictions. NPHET as it currently stands should be scrapped. Doctors should be allowed to treat high risk patients in the community. This way we can keep more of them out of hospital. The daily case numbers must stop being pushed by the media on a people suffering more from Covid fatigue than Covid.”

Asked if it was fair that he was removed from his position at Shannondoc, Dr Morrissey said: “I think it’s a sad indictment of a country that we live in and the time we live in, that things are so polarised and there isn’t room for free speech, and that I would be penalised because of that. But I respect the board’s integrity and they have made a judgement.”

A spokesperson for Shannondoc said that Dr Morrissey “is no longer its chairperson or a member of the board.

“We wish to thank Dr Morrissey for his significant contribution to the development of the cooperative during his tenure. We will embark on the process of appointing Dr Morrissey’s successor with immediate effect.”

Yellow Vest Ireland and our supporters would like to personally thank Dr Morrissey and all those other Doctors and healthcare professionals who have spoken out against the government's narrative at great sacrifice and personal cost."

You had me right up to "yellow vest Ireland"

By *ohng69Man  over a year ago

athenry

So are you saying off licences are at fault for the rise in covid numbers? Not everyone who buys alcohol from an off licence is going to a house party, there's plenty of responsible adults who want to drink at home because they are nervous about drinking in pubs at the moment. Many people live miles away from their local pub and have no way home after a few drinks so have no option but to drink at home. There's plenty of publicans not behaving either especially when showing gaa club games on tv. If pubs are allowed to open again then the intercounty gaa games should be cancelled

Tipperary

"An obvious one to me. Open the pubs (publicans can man there own premises), close the off licenses, a huge area which fuels house parties which have been linked to many outbreaks. What's your outlook going forward? So are you saying off licences are at fault for the rise in covid numbers? Not everyone who buys alcohol from an off licence is going to a house party, there's plenty of responsible adults who want to drink at home because they are nervous about drinking in pubs at the moment. Many people live miles away from their local pub and have no way home after a few drinks so have no option but to drink at home. There's plenty of publicans not behaving either especially when showing gaa club games on tv. If pubs are allowed to open again then the intercounty gaa games should be cancelled "
there is huge outbreaks linked to house parties which a clown knows are fuelled by alcohol sales in off licences and supermarkets. There has been no big outbreak linked to pubs/restaurants. If there is, that particular pub or restaurant should be shut. In Scotland this evening,they have shut the off licences for 6 weeks.

By *ohng69Man  over a year ago

athenry

"An obvious one to me. Open the pubs (publicans can man there own premises), close the off licenses, a huge area which fuels house parties which have been linked to many outbreaks. What's your outlook going forward? So are you saying off licences are at fault for the rise in covid numbers? Not everyone who buys alcohol from an off licence is going to a house party, there's plenty of responsible adults who want to drink at home because they are nervous about drinking in pubs at the moment. Many people live miles away from their local pub and have no way home after a few drinks so have no option but to drink at home. There's plenty of publicans not behaving either especially when showing gaa club games on tv. If pubs are allowed to open again then the intercounty gaa games should be cancelled there is huge outbreaks linked to house parties which a clown knows are fuelled by alcohol sales in off licences and supermarkets. There has been no big outbreak linked to pubs/restaurants. If there is, that particular pub or restaurant should be shut. In Scotland this evening,they have shut the off licences for 6 weeks. "
if only it was that simple

Offlicences dont kill people, rappers do!

"Offlicences dont kill people, rappers do!"

Ah now it's not just the rappers

People will be back to bath salts

I'm not much of a drinker and I can't recall the last time I visited a pub. Your suggestion sounds good to me, but I wouldn't be sacrificing much.

My outlook is there's ALWAYS gonna be fucking assholes that totally fuck Everything up for everyone else no matter what is decided. Like THE perfect example is all the Gardai on the roads on yesterday .. there should be absolutely none of that craic IF everyone respected the " no leaving your county unless absolutely necessary " but that's not gonna happen so hence the " always gonna be assholes that totally fuck Everything up for everyone else "...and please a " Fab meet " is not a necessary or essential journey...or is it ??

on the hill NordWest of

Yellow vest and health freedom Ireland? Seriously op? You might as well cite Gemma O'Doherty the next time. I recommend you to check up on your sources/organisations and what they stand for before posting and citing them.

Also that Dr. Morrissey is out of his head saying were close to herd immunity: herd immunity is reached when 60 to 70% of the population had it, so in Ireland's case 3 to 3.5 mio of a population of 5 mio.

So far we had close to 40 thousand cases, that's not even 1% yet. Let's assume there was 10 times more undiscovered cases then the ones registered. Like that we get to about 9% of the population, still a far cry away from 60 to 70%. Beside that we don't know how long someone is immune after having it, some people had already two infections. That's your herd immunity almost inexistant and on very wobbly feet.

"***Breaking News***

Yellow Vest Ireland and our supporters would like to personally thank Dr Morrissey and all those other Doctors and healthcare professionals who have spoken out against the government's narrative at great sacrifice and personal cost."

You mean the same yellow vest supporters that were outside lenister house yesterday threatening to kill the people inside? The yellow vest movement is nothing more then a bunch of hate filled scum, a breeding ground for the likes of the Irish freedom party and the national party. To quote anyone who spoke at one of their rallies is to lose credibility in my opinion

"Yellow vest and health freedom Ireland? Seriously op? You might as well cite Gemma O'Doherty the next time. I recommend you to check up on your sources/organisations and what they stand for before posting and citing them.

Also that Dr. Morrissey is out of his head saying were close to herd immunity: herd immunity is reached when 60 to 70% of the population had it, so in Ireland's case 3 to 3.5 mio of a population of 5 mio.

So far we had close to 40 thousand cases, that's not even 1% yet. Let's assume there was 10 times more undiscovered cases then the ones registered. Like that we get to about 9% of the population, still a far cry away from 60 to 70%. Beside that we don't know how long someone is immune after having it, some people had already two infections. That's your herd immunity almost inexistant and on very wobbly feet. "

The Dr Luke guy from trinity is actually on youtube, on newstalk, saying that people can be reinfected but the antibodies prevent almost all symptoms. While the oposite has not been found to happen yet.

Me and my friend a while ago calculate ed the heard immunity timeline..but this was when there was like 6 cases a day. Now it's 430+ well say. It would happen faster then we were thinking.

The IFR of covid-19 is 0.2 approx. ...standard influenza is 0.1. if we had publically announced death rates in pervious years for flu we would also have panic. While this is somewhat worse people need to keep scale of this.

There is some truth in what that Dr morrasy dude is saying has some truth. His affiliation is unfortunate.

Gemma O'Doherty is fairly insane, Shee needs help. And I hope she gets it

Tipperary

So you all have no problem entering a level 5 lockdown again for god knows how long?

Tipperary

The only way u wouldnt have a problem with a level 5 lockdown again is if u live a very much mundane life.

"The only way u wouldnt have a problem with a level 5 lockdown again is if u live a very much mundane life. "

You might need to quote who you are talking to. Unless it was in general in which case apolagies.

"The only way u wouldnt have a problem with a level 5 lockdown again is if u live a very much mundane life. "

There is a difference between wanting to and seeing it as the nest option

Tipperary

"The only way u wouldnt have a problem with a level 5 lockdown again is if u live a very much mundane life.

There is a difference between wanting to and seeing it as the nest option "

I dont see it as the best option at all countrywide. Certain counties are a million times worse then others.

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

Sooner the better the government gets some fuckin balls and realizes lockdowns are not going to work, the better.

Massive study released today by british medical journal, cases have risen dramatically in england since lockdown.

Its on Fergal Bowers Twitter. Crazy to continue this crap at this stage.

Mask up, social distant etc. protect vulnerable if possible.

Its gonna happen its inevitable. They are gonna have to bite the bullet and i think it pretty clear the nmphet car crash earlier in week was the start.

"The only way u wouldnt have a problem with a level 5 lockdown again is if u live a very much mundane life.

There is a difference between wanting to and seeing it as the nest option I dont see it as the best option at all countrywide. Certain counties are a million times worse then others. "

The idea of doing it would be to get cases down to a practicle zero. So allowing even small clusters in less effected counties would just make a level 5 elsewhere pointless

Tipperary

There is a difference between wanting to and seeing it as the nest option I dont see it as the best option at all countrywide. Certain counties are a million times worse then others.

The idea of doing it would be to get cases down to a practicle zero. So allowing even small clusters in less effected counties would just make a level 5 elsewhere pointless"

the point is u got it to a practical zero with a 3.5 month lockdown, we then opened the country, more testing, more went back to work and cases took off. The exact same will happen this time. With the phased levels they introduced 1-5 was brought in to put counties into the level as their cases reflect, not to put everyone at the worse restrictions again.

There is a difference between wanting to and seeing it as the nest option I dont see it as the best option at all countrywide. Certain counties are a million times worse then others.

The idea of doing it would be to get cases down to a practicle zero. So allowing even small clusters in less effected counties would just make a level 5 elsewhere pointlessthe point is u got it to a practical zero with a 3.5 month lockdown, we then opened the country, more testing, more went back to work and cases took off. The exact same will happen this time. With the phased levels they introduced 1-5 was brought in to put counties into the level as their cases reflect, not to put everyone at the worse restrictions again. "

People might actually learn that eased restrictions doesn't mean everything is back to normal next time.

They won't dunno why I even though of saying that nevermind. We have different views on this think its time to just call it

Tipperary

The idea of doing it would be to get cases down to a practicle zero. So allowing even small clusters in less effected counties would just make a level 5 elsewhere pointlessthe point is u got it to a practical zero with a 3.5 month lockdown, we then opened the country, more testing, more went back to work and cases took off. The exact same will happen this time. With the phased levels they introduced 1-5 was brought in to put counties into the level as their cases reflect, not to put everyone at the worse restrictions again.

People might actually learn that eased restrictions doesn't mean everything is back to normal next time.

They won't dunno why I even though of saying that nevermind. We have different views on this think its time to just call it"

absolutely we do if u think everyone should be in a full lockdown again for who knows how long.

"Sooner the better the government gets some fuckin balls and realizes lockdowns are not going to work, the better.

Massive study released today by british medical journal, cases have risen dramatically in england since lockdown.

Its gonna happen its inevitable. They are gonna have to bite the bullet and i think it pretty clear the nmphet car crash earlier in week was the start."

Yes exactly !

We can see other countries like Sweenden. And some states in America not doing to bad it all.

It's 0.2%.

The government a great job with nphet more rationality is needed.

The problem is not the government, the regulations or any stages of lockdown. The problem is people are too quick to look elsewhere to lay the blame.

Self responsibility is something thats lacking and untill people start taking responsibility for their own actions this is not going to go away.

Tipperary

"The problem is not the government, the regulations or any stages of lockdown. The problem is people are too quick to look elsewhere to lay the blame.

Self responsibility is something thats lacking and untill people start taking responsibility for their own actions this is not going to go away. "

most people do but as with everything, everybody will not do the one thing.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"The problem is not the government, the regulations or any stages of lockdown. The problem is people are too quick to look elsewhere to lay the blame.

Self responsibility is something thats lacking and untill people start taking responsibility for their own actions this is not going to go away. "

That doesn't just apply to covid but it's just more prevalent at the moment and it's not dictated by age.

Stupidity has no age or gender filters.

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

"Has anybody been to a house party? I dont know anyone who has."

There's been at least 12 houses in my estate that had house parties broken up during the lock down

Surely this would just result in people going to the pubs and restaurants in their droves then? There are lots of people who used to go to the pub regularly but are now having a few drinks at home instead. If those people couldn't have their drink at home, I'm sure most would end up back in the pub. And that's far more dangerous in terms of the likelihood of spreading the virus than a house party.

People would drive any where to get drink - even the north

Personal responsibility went out of fashion in the 90s

on the hill NordWest of

"The Dr Luke guy from trinity is actually on youtube, on newstalk, saying that people can be reinfected but the antibodies prevent almost all symptoms. While the oposite has not been found to happen yet.

Me and my friend a while ago calculated the heard immunity timeline..but this was when there was like 6 cases a day. Now it's 430+ well say. It would happen faster then we were thinking.

The IFR of covid-19 is 0.2 approx. ...standard influenza is 0.1. if we had publically announced death rates in pervious years for flu we would also have panic. While this is somewhat worse people need to keep scale of this.

There is some truth in what that Dr morrasy dude is saying has some truth. His affiliation is unfortunate.

"

Ahhh look the hobby epidemiologists are coming out of the bushes. There's no accurate IFR avaible yet because there's no sufficient data to calculate it. All the attempts by researchers to evaluate it - at least the ones I looked at - have resulted in higher values (starting at 0.6) than the one your producing.

It's not all about the mortality rate, it looks like that some will have longterm/lifelong health issues/damage after contracting covid-19, which isn't much the case with flu, also the latter is less infectious.

Tell us about your herd immunity timeline. With mine based on the irish infection rate over the last 7month, it takes about 5 years to get there.

"You are suggesting no off licence sales whatsoever to put a stop to home drinking? off licences are where students in particular are buying their drink to fuel house parties. If off licences were shut you dont have the same issue at all plus I dont for the life of me see why a pub /restaurant (controlled environent) shuts and off licences and alcohol sections in supermarkets are open which are fuelling these house parties. There is many diff areas I dont agree with. Pure bonkers putting the whole country to level 3 for starters. "

Ask breweries and they will tell you they are afraid many student parties aren’t fuelled by alcohol, but drugs.

Tipperary

"The Dr Luke guy from trinity is actually on youtube, on newstalk, saying that people can be reinfected but the antibodies prevent almost all symptoms. While the oposite has not been found to happen yet.

Me and my friend a while ago calculated the heard immunity timeline..but this was when there was like 6 cases a day. Now it's 430+ well say. It would happen faster then we were thinking.

Ahhh look the hobby epidemiologists are coming out of the bushes. There's no accurate IFR avaible yet because there's no sufficient data to calculate it. All the attempts by researchers to evaluate it - at least the ones I looked at - have resulted in higher values (starting at 0.6) than the one your producing.

It's not all about the mortality rate, it looks like that some will have longterm/lifelong health issues/damage after contracting covid-19, which isn't much the case with flu, also the latter is less infectious.

Tell us about your herd immunity timeline. With mine based on the irish infection rate over the last 7month, it takes about 5 years to get there. "

there was a health expert on yesterday and he said if we keep going at the rate were going we will reach herd immunity by February.

Tipperary

"Surely this would just result in people going to the pubs and restaurants in their droves then? There are lots of people who used to go to the pub regularly but are now having a few drinks at home instead. If those people couldn't have their drink at home, I'm sure most would end up back in the pub. And that's far more dangerous in terms of the likelihood of spreading the virus than a house party. "
publicans can make their premises. Without going into detail that's the big difference between that and house parties. One can be manned properly the other cant

Tipperary

"Surely this would just result in people going to the pubs and restaurants in their droves then? There are lots of people who used to go to the pub regularly but are now having a few drinks at home instead. If those people couldn't have their drink at home, I'm sure most would end up back in the pub. And that's far more dangerous in terms of the likelihood of spreading the virus than a house party. publicans can make their premises. Without going into detail that's the big difference between that and house parties. One can be manned properly the other cant"
make = man

on the hill NordWest of

Tell us about your herd immunity timeline. With mine based on the irish infection rate over the last 7month, it takes about 5 years to get there. there was a health expert on yesterday and he said if we keep going at the rate were going we will reach herd immunity by February. "

a 'health expert' , jaysos just use your common sense. That's complete bs. If you want to achieve that you've to get at least 2'500'000 infected until the end of February, that's a 18'000 a day.

Anyhow the only thing I agree with you is that it would be complete nonsense at present to fully lock down the country again.

tipperary

"Sooner the better the government gets some fuckin balls and realizes lockdowns are not going to work, the better.

Its gonna happen its inevitable. They are gonna have to bite the bullet and i think it pretty clear the nmphet car crash earlier in week was the start.

Yes exactly !

We can see other countries like Sweenden. And some states in America not doing to bad it all.

It's 0.2%.

The government a great job with nphet more rationality is needed."

And we can see countries like brazil...that was/is a shit show...they had no lockdown

Some states in america...how many is some?

Tell us about your herd immunity timeline. With mine based on the irish infection rate over the last 7month, it takes about 5 years to get there. there was a health expert on yesterday and he said if we keep going at the rate were going we will reach herd immunity by February.

a 'health expert' , jaysos just use your common sense. That's complete bs. If you want to achieve that you've to get at least 2'500'000 infected until the end of February, that's a 18'000 a day.

Anyhow the only thing I agree with you is that it would be complete nonsense at present to fully lock down the country again."

My uneducated guess is we'll be on level 5 by mid-term. Halloween is the next party night

on the hill NordWest of

Tell us about your herd immunity timeline. With mine based on the irish infection rate over the last 7month, it takes about 5 years to get there. there was a health expert on yesterday and he said if we keep going at the rate were going we will reach herd immunity by February.

Anyhow the only thing I agree with you is that it would be complete nonsense at present to fully lock down the country again.

My uneducated guess is we'll be on level 5 by mid-term. Halloween is the next party night"

The funny thing with level 5 is that almost everything would be closed again but the schools go on. Bizarre!

In the meantime we don't get a breakdown of cases by county anymore, just to keep everyone in the dark and in fear while actually a clear and open communication is needed to maintain trust.

My uneducated guess is we'll be on level 5 by mid-term. Halloween is the next party night

The funny thing with level 5 is that almost everything would be closed again but the schools go on. Bizarre!

"

This morning there is talk of closing schools for more than a week at midterm, hence my deduction. We will be back where we were in April for 3 weeks

"

This morning there is talk of closing schools for more than a week at midterm, hence my deduction. We will be back where we were in April for 3 weeks

"

Is there? Was it on the news? Haven't heard anything about it but PLEASE say it's not true.

By *ynchsimonMan  over a year ago

North county Dublin Meath

Yep it's true, an extended mid-term is on the cards

Lockdowns for some, miniature Irish flags for others.

"Yep it's true, an extended mid-term is on the cards"

Where are you getting this from?

"Lockdowns for some, miniature Irish flags for others."

Yay!

Just saw the thing about the schools on the news. CHRIST.

on the hill NordWest of

"

"

There was an article in the journal about a pupil who tested positive, mother contacted school and went through the tracing process but was told by the school that they have to be contacted by the hse and the first contact tracer told her that this needs to be dealt by a senior contact tracer. After 4 days nothing happening the mother contacted hse and school again, only then actions were set in motion. It might have been a single occurrence but my gut feeling is they don't have their act together....

"

There was an article in the journal about a pupil who tested positive, mother contacted school and went through the tracing process but was told by the school that they have to be contacted by the hse and the first contact tracer told her that this needs to be dealt by a senior contact tracer. After 4 days nothing happening the mother contacted hse and school again, only then actions were set in motion. It might have been a single occurrence but my gut feeling is they don't have their act together...."

You're right DH. I think contact tracing is likely to be effective when you have a small number of cases. IMO it's way out of their control now and they are just going through the motions, but a lot is falling between the cracks. It appears we are already at or close our maximum number of tests per week so when the number of infections get past where we are now, testing will be pointless. It's people showing up at hospital doors will be the true measure and also people coming down with a flu like virus with no proper diagnosis.

Anyway,just my opinion

Interesting study got itself into the British Medical Journal today from University of Edinburgh...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/08/lockdown-could-have-increased-covid-death-toll-scottish-study-finds

Lee

Tipperary

Yes exactly !

It's 0.2%.

And we can see countries like brazil...that was/is a shit show...they had no lockdown

Some states in america...how many is some?"

sweden had no lockdown either.

Tipperary

In the meantime we don't get a breakdown of cases by county anymore, just to keep everyone in the dark and in fear while actually a clear and open communication is needed to maintain trust. "

we would be in level 5 while the school is on 2 week break. Thats the plan.

tipperary

Yes exactly !

It's 0.2%.

Some states in america...how many is some?sweden had no lockdown either. "

And nearly 6000 dead

Tipperary

Yes exactly !

It's 0.2%.

Some states in america...how many is some?sweden had no lockdown either.

And nearly 6000 dead "

I dont know how that equates in terms of their population but they're going down the route "whoever dies, dies".

tipperary

Yes exactly !

It's 0.2%.

And nearly 6000 dead I dont know how that equates in terms of their population but they're going down the route "whoever dies, dies"."

A great philosophy to have

Tipperary

Yes exactly !

It's 0.2%.

And nearly 6000 dead I dont know how that equates in terms of their population but they're going down the route "whoever dies, dies".

A great philosophy to have"

they might of had small restrictions but never went the full lockdown route

tipperary

Yes exactly !

It's 0.2%.

And nearly 6000 dead I dont know how that equates in terms of their population but they're going down the route "whoever dies, dies".

A great philosophy to havethey might of had small restrictions but never went the full lockdown route "

Your right it shouldnt be locked down at all

Tipperary

Yes exactly !

It's 0.2%.

A great philosophy to havethey might of had small restrictions but never went the full lockdown route

Your right it shouldnt be locked down at all"

I think the vast majority here would hate to see another full lockdown but it seems it's all Holohan and NPHET want to do.

tipperary

Yes exactly !

It's 0.2%.

A great philosophy to havethey might of had small restrictions but never went the full lockdown route

Your right it shouldnt be locked down at allI think the vast majority here would hate to see another full lockdown but it seems it's all Holohan and NPHET want to do."

Okay. So you want off licenses to shut because it's where students but alcohol to fuel party's.

What about when they decide to substitute the alcohol for more drugs coming from God knows where? Or drinking home made beer or the likes.

People will always want to get out of their minds. Best be with safe approved alcohol than not and definitely better young students especially can go to a shop to but alcohol than some shady dealers for drugs.

People also think it's horrible that people lost jobs from pub closures. You're asking the same thing for the thousands of people working in off licenses.

I personally think this would cause more problems.

It never ceases to amaze and amuse me how many people on fab know so much more than the leading epidemiologists in the world. How wonderful it must be to know more than anyone else and have all of the solutions. Lucky bastards.

Also in the last 7 weeks 0-14 accounted for 12% of coronavirus positives. While 15-24 year olds accounted for 22%.

So people from newborns to 24 accounted for 34% of positives in the country in the last 7 weeks. Some of the worst weeks since the start.

That leaves people above 24 accounting for 66% of positive cases. Students are generally between 18-24.

I think you all need to stop blaming the young people and the students because gatherings at Spanish arch aside it's the older categories of people that account for most of the positive results in the country...

Tipperary

"It never ceases to amaze and amuse me how many people on fab know so much more than the leading epidemiologists in the world. How wonderful it must be to know more than anyone else and have all of the solutions. Lucky bastards."
that's not the situation at all. There is so many experts out there, qualified experts, who all disagree with each other.

"It never ceases to amaze and amuse me how many people on fab know so much more than the leading epidemiologists in the world. How wonderful it must be to know more than anyone else and have all of the solutions. Lucky bastards.that's not the situation at all. There is so many experts out there, qualified experts, who all disagree with each other. "

I didn't say that the experts don't disagree with eachother?

Tipperary

"It never ceases to amaze and amuse me how many people on fab know so much more than the leading epidemiologists in the world. How wonderful it must be to know more than anyone else and have all of the solutions. Lucky bastards.that's not the situation at all. There is so many experts out there, qualified experts, who all disagree with each other.

I didn't say that the experts don't disagree with eachother? "

and those experts have got it so right so far. They also say one thing and do the other at times. Nothing at all wrong with people having an opinion.

tipperary

"It never ceases to amaze and amuse me how many people on fab know so much more than the leading epidemiologists in the world. How wonderful it must be to know more than anyone else and have all of the solutions. Lucky bastards.that's not the situation at all. There is so many experts out there, qualified experts, who all disagree with each other.

I didn't say that the experts don't disagree with eachother? and those experts have got it so right so far. They also say one thing and do the other at times. Nothing at all wrong with people having an opinion. "

See the thing is....oponions are like arseholes....everyone has one...

And everyone thinks that theirs doesnt stink

Tipperary

I didn't say that the experts don't disagree with eachother? and those experts have got it so right so far. They also say one thing and do the other at times. Nothing at all wrong with people having an opinion.

See the thing is....oponions are like arseholes....everyone has one...

And everyone thinks that theirs doesnt stink "

that's the beauty of opinions

I didn't say that the experts don't disagree with eachother? and those experts have got it so right so far. They also say one thing and do the other at times. Nothing at all wrong with people having an opinion. "

Absolutely not. But there's a big difference between an intelligent opinion and an ignorant one.

Tipperary

I didn't say that the experts don't disagree with eachother? and those experts have got it so right so far. They also say one thing and do the other at times. Nothing at all wrong with people having an opinion.

Absolutely not. But there's a big difference between an intelligent opinion and an ignorant one. "

there isn't. You would say the experts have intelligent opinions but the only thing has worked so far is a full lockdown and we all know its not sustainable to live like that. NPHET only said last Thursday we wouldnt go into full countrywide lockdown again and that was changed on a sixpence by sunday night. They introduced a 5 stage plan and said they would move each county as see fit but then recommend a full lockdown for everyone but let schools open. An ordinary joe soap is entitled to any opinion as the stuff suggested by the experts so far is not working.

tipperary

Hahahaha.....everyone is entitled to an opinion....but you seem to be trying to justify yours...

Have your opinion..

Just because you say it enough times doesnt mean its right

"there isn't. You would say the experts have intelligent opinions but the only thing has worked so far is a full lockdown and we all know its not sustainable to live like that. NPHET only said last Thursday we wouldnt go into full countrywide lockdown again and that was changed on a sixpence by sunday night. They introduced a 5 stage plan and said they would move each county as see fit but then recommend a full lockdown for everyone but let schools open. An ordinary joe soap is entitled to any opinion as the stuff suggested by the experts so far is not working. "

There is.

An intelligent opinion doesn't mean someones right. It means their opinion is based on a level of understanding of the relevant context and details.

For example:

A mechanic taking a guess at what's wrong with my car without looking at it is sharing an intelligent opinion.

A 3 year old taking a guess at what's wrong with my car without looking at it is sharing an ignorant one.

We all have our own sphere of knowledge. And for all of us, that sphere is extremely limited, whether our egos allow us to admit it or not.

I can give you intelligent opinions on how to design a website, how to parent a child, how to write for a magazine, and how to roll a joint. Those things are all within my sphere of knowledge.

I can also give you opinions on how to perform a triple bypass, how to build a house, how to sail a boat and how to manage public health in a pandemic. But I'm not an idiot, so I don't.

tipperary

"there isn't. You would say the experts have intelligent opinions but the only thing has worked so far is a full lockdown and we all know its not sustainable to live like that. NPHET only said last Thursday we wouldnt go into full countrywide lockdown again and that was changed on a sixpence by sunday night. They introduced a 5 stage plan and said they would move each county as see fit but then recommend a full lockdown for everyone but let schools open. An ordinary joe soap is entitled to any opinion as the stuff suggested by the experts so far is not working.

There is.

An intelligent opinion doesn't mean someones right. It means their opinion is based on a level of understanding of the relevant context and details.

For example:

A mechanic taking a guess at what's wrong with my car without looking at it is sharing an intelligent opinion.

A 3 year old taking a guess at what's wrong with my car without looking at it is sharing an ignorant one.

We all have our own sphere of knowledge. And for all of us, that sphere is extremely limited, whether our egos allow us to admit it or not.

I can give you intelligent opinions on how to design a website, how to parent a child, how to write for a magazine, and how to roll a joint. Those things are all within my sphere of knowledge.

I can also give you opinions on how to perform a triple bypass, how to build a house, how to sail a boat and how to manage public health in a pandemic. But I'm not an idiot, so I don't.

"

Will you roll one for my.....ahem friend.....

"

Will you roll one for my.....ahem friend....."

If I'm rolling a joint I'm rolling it for myself

"Lockdowns for some, miniature Irish flags for others."

Wheeey!!!

tipperary

"

If I'm rolling a joint I'm rolling it for myself "

Youd at least let me have one puff

"

If I'm rolling a joint I'm rolling it for myself

Youd at least let me have one puff "

You're vastly over estimating my manners.

"Okay. So you want off licenses to shut because it's where students but alcohol to fuel party's.

What about when they decide to substitute the alcohol for more drugs coming from God knows where? Or drinking home made beer or the likes.

People will always want to get out of their minds. Best be with safe approved alcohol than not and definitely better young students especially can go to a shop to but alcohol than some shady dealers for drugs.

People also think it's horrible that people lost jobs from pub closures. You're asking the same thing for the thousands of people working in off licenses.

I personally think this would cause more problems. "

I’d rather see office licenses closed, than parties still going flat out and numbers rising and keeping all restaurants, cafes and pubs in the country try closed. You’ll find most people buy their drink in big supermarkets so closing these isn’t exactly hitting vulnerable businesses.

And the amount of businesses closed far outweighs the jobs which would be temporarily shit down due to closed off licenses.

Not that any of this is going to happen anyway.

Tell us about your herd immunity timeline. With mine based on the irish infection rate over the last 7month, it takes about 5 years to get there. "

Coming in there hot fella. Throwing shade on casual..epidimolgists?? Well fortunately I did Human physiology.

Actually the WHO would disagree with you..experts from John Hopkins university...and this site I found

They have 0.34%

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

For reference Ebola was 60%. I think was Sars cov1 about 0.6-1.0%

Look to south Korea for good data. Time will tell but much evidence points to this. Let's watch sweenden also.

Yeah heard Immunity might take a while it was 60 years when we calculated before...which was actually making us laugh. You need to add in of course the many people that have it and we're not confirmed.

I am not saying it's nothing. It's just twice as bad as flu approximately. Even more for those over 65. I firmly think we will never see what we saw in March or April again. Does not make sense.

It's looking positive. Is my point

"Also in the last 7 weeks 0-14 accounted for 12% of coronavirus positives. While 15-24 year olds accounted for 22%.

So people from newborns to 24 accounted for 34% of positives in the country in the last 7 weeks. Some of the worst weeks since the start.

That leaves people above 24 accounting for 66% of positive cases. Students are generally between 18-24.

I think you all need to stop blaming the young people and the students because gatherings at Spanish arch aside it's the older categories of people that account for most of the positive results in the country..."

Are you seriously saying that if you’re older than 24, you’re in the older age categories and using that as an argument to say it’s mostly older people? Lol

Absolutely not. But there's a big difference between an intelligent opinion and an ignorant one. there isn't. You would say the experts have intelligent opinions but the only thing has worked so far is a full lockdown and we all know its not sustainable to live like that. NPHET only said last Thursday we wouldnt go into full countrywide lockdown again and that was changed on a sixpence by sunday night. They introduced a 5 stage plan and said they would move each county as see fit but then recommend a full lockdown for everyone but let schools open. An ordinary joe soap is entitled to any opinion as the stuff suggested by the experts so far is not working. "

You’re badly twisting g the narrative just so you can maintain that an idiots opinion is as well informed as an epidemiologists.sot back and ponder that.

"there isn't. You would say the experts have intelligent opinions but the only thing has worked so far is a full lockdown and we all know its not sustainable to live like that. NPHET only said last Thursday we wouldnt go into full countrywide lockdown again and that was changed on a sixpence by sunday night. They introduced a 5 stage plan and said they would move each county as see fit but then recommend a full lockdown for everyone but let schools open. An ordinary joe soap is entitled to any opinion as the stuff suggested by the experts so far is not working.

There is.

For example:

"

Perfectly said. He needed to hear that too

Tipperary

There is.

For example:

"

so we should all take what's been thrown at us, live under a dictatorship and say nothing?

tipperary

There is.

For example:

so we should all take what's been thrown at us, live under a dictatorship and say nothing?"

A dictatorship....buddy google dictators and see what real dictatorship looks like....your being asked to social distance and wash your hands...wear a mask in shops...look out for each other....you can even do your work from home....

Jesus its awfull

If you close off licence people will just make their own booze there is not alot too it. Yeast an airlock and some fruit juice and a few days to ferment there you go alcohol

There is.

For example:

so we should all take what's been thrown at us, live under a dictatorship and say nothing?"

She didn’t say that. You’re turning everything into absolutist and extreme points of view and arguments. You’re deliberately being divisive and picking strawman arguments

Please respond to her points maturely. She said that people who have much more experience in certain areas of work and who are recognized as such through respected bodies have much better informed opinions of their area of expertise than people who don’t work in that area. And therefore their advice should be considered more.

Of course within those spheres, there will always be debate - intelligent scientific debate. And just because there are differing opinions between experts doesn’t mean that neither of them know anything worthwhile and therefore we should just listen to ignorant opinions instead (as you were encouraging)

Clear?

Tipperary

There is.

For example:

so we should all take what's been thrown at us, live under a dictatorship and say nothing?

She didn’t say that. You’re turning everything into absolutist and extreme points of view and arguments. You’re deliberately being divisive and picking strawman arguments

Please respond to her points maturely. She said that people who have much more experience in certain areas of work and who are recognized as such through respected bodies have much better informed opinions of their area of expertise than people who don’t work in that area. And therefore their advice should be considered more.

Of course within those spheres, there will always be debate - intelligent scientific debate. And just because there are differing opinions between experts doesn’t mean that neither of them know anything worthwhile and therefore we should just listen to ignorant opinions instead (as you were encouraging)

Clear? "

as I said, so everybody else whose not an "expert" should put up and shut up? Yould want to tell that to social media also.

"

Yes. Yes. That's exactly what I said.

No for fucks sake! Of course we should always think critically and form our own opinions on political matters etc.

But know when your out of your depth. Know and be comfortable admitting that you just don't know enough to give an intelligent opinion, and in those cases be mature enough to accept that we can only make choices based on the recommendations of the people who actually do know what they're talking about. They might not always be right. Their opinions may well change over time. But they still know more than us.

To pretend otherwise is ignorant, arrogant and stoooopid, in my very intelligent opinion.

Tipperary

There is.

For example:

A dictatorship....buddy google dictators and see what real dictatorship looks like....your being asked to social distance and wash your hands...wear a mask in shops...look out for each other....you can even do your work from home....

Jesus its awfull"

it is awful. The thought of going into a full lockdown again and peoples livelihoods been destroyed and mental health shattered.

Tipperary

"

Yes. Yes. That's exactly what I said.

No for fucks sake! Of course we should always think critically and form our own opinions on political matters etc.

But know when your out of your depth. Know and be comfortable admitting that you just don't know enough to give an intelligent opinion, and in those cases be mature enough to accept that we can only make choices based on the recommendations of the people who actually do know what they're talking about. They might not always be right. Their opinions may well change over time. But they still know more than us.

To pretend otherwise is ignorant, arrogant and stoooopid, in my very intelligent opinion. "

I'm delighted the government took stance with these "recommendations" and didnt jump into a level 5 sunday night which was recommended by holohan.

tipperary

There is.

For example:

Clear? as I said, so everybody else whose not an "expert" should put up and shut up? Yould want to tell that to social media also. "

So put up and shut up then....take your own advice

tipperary

There is.

For example:

Jesus its awfullit is awful. The thought of going into a full lockdown again and peoples livelihoods been destroyed and mental health shattered. "

Wheres the full lockdown?

Tipperary

There is.

For example:

Clear? as I said, so everybody else whose not an "expert" should put up and shut up? Yould want to tell that to social media also.

So put up and shut up then....take your own advice"

put up and shut with something that I totally disagree with? Not a hope.

Tipperary

There is.

For example:

Jesus its awfullit is awful. The thought of going into a full lockdown again and peoples livelihoods been destroyed and mental health shattered.

Wheres the full lockdown?"

its coming. Id say its been decided already regardless of what the reproductive rate is at the end of the 3 weeks. I hope I'm wrong though.

tipperary

There is.

For example:

Clear? as I said, so everybody else whose not an "expert" should put up and shut up? Yould want to tell that to social media also.

So put up and shut up then....take your own adviceput up and shut with something that I totally disagree with? Not a hope."

So we have to take your advice

But you dont take your own advice....sounds about right

"its coming. Id say its been decided already regardless of what the reproductive rate is at the end of the 3 weeks. I hope I'm wrong though. "

And if it does come it will be horrible, especially for people on lower incomes or with existing mental illness. We're all agreed on that.

Please don't think that people who support the guidelines and adhere to them are any less concerned about the impacts of lockdown or isolation, or any less fed up of the whole thing than the loud mouths giving out.

Maybe if we all stopped wagging our fingers at the experts and measuring our imaginary epidemiology dicks and just followed the guidelines, we might be able to avoid it and get back to normality sooner.

Tipperary

There is.

For example:

So put up and shut up then....take your own adviceput up and shut with something that I totally disagree with? Not a hope.

But you dont take your own advice....sounds about right "

nobody has to take my advice. It's only an opinion.

tipperary

There is.

For example:

So put up and shut up then....take your own adviceput up and shut with something that I totally disagree with? Not a hope.

But you dont take your own advice....sounds about right nobody has to take my advice. It's only an opinion. "

Tipperary

"its coming. Id say its been decided already regardless of what the reproductive rate is at the end of the 3 weeks. I hope I'm wrong though.

And if it does come it will be horrible, especially for people on lower incomes or with existing mental illness. We're all agreed on that.

Please don't think that people who support the guidelines and adhere to them are any less concerned about the impacts of lockdown or isolation, or any less fed up of the whole thing than the loud mouths giving out.

Maybe if we all stopped wagging our fingers at the experts and measuring our imaginary epidemiology dicks and just followed the guidelines, we might be able to avoid it and get back to normality sooner. "

that's exactly the thing I'm hitting at. 90 odd % of us do follow the guidlines but as I keep saying you will never ever get everybody doing the one thing without punishment.i have a relation in aus. Only way they got people to do what was asked is issue huge fines.

"that's exactly the thing I'm hitting at. 90 odd % of us do follow the guidlines but as I keep saying you will never ever get everybody doing the one thing without punishment.i have a relation in aus. Only way they got people to do what was asked is issue huge fines. "

Well then we're agreed. There are still alot of arse holes going around with masks half on in the shops and riding rings around them and what not. But that was always gonna be the way.

Tipperary

"that's exactly the thing I'm hitting at. 90 odd % of us do follow the guidlines but as I keep saying you will never ever get everybody doing the one thing without punishment.i have a relation in aus. Only way they got people to do what was asked is issue huge fines.

Well then we're agreed. There are still alot of arse holes going around with masks half on in the shops and riding rings around them and what not. But that was always gonna be the way. "

spot on. That carry on has to be stopped but how do u do it? Issue fines maybe.

"that's exactly the thing I'm hitting at. 90 odd % of us do follow the guidlines but as I keep saying you will never ever get everybody doing the one thing without punishment.i have a relation in aus. Only way they got people to do what was asked is issue huge fines.

Well then we're agreed. There are still alot of arse holes going around with masks half on in the shops and riding rings around them and what not. But that was always gonna be the way. spot on. That carry on has to be stopped but how do u do it? Issue fines maybe. "

Well I don't think it can be tbh. Some people will always rally against the government for no reason other than wanting to rally against the government - even when it's against their best interests.

Tipperary

Well then we're agreed. There are still alot of arse holes going around with masks half on in the shops and riding rings around them and what not. But that was always gonna be the way. spot on. That carry on has to be stopped but how do u do it? Issue fines maybe.

Well I don't think it can be tbh. Some people will always rally against the government for no reason other than wanting to rally against the government - even when it's against their best interests.

"

I also think nearly everyone did what was asked of them for 3.5 months from March onwards but I can see murder if a full lockdown comes again and places like gyms and hairdressers with no huge outbreaks will be closed again.

Stop thinking so much it's ok not to know all of the answers.

"Also in the last 7 weeks 0-14 accounted for 12% of coronavirus positives. While 15-24 year olds accounted for 22%.

I think you all need to stop blaming the young people and the students because gatherings at Spanish arch aside it's the older categories of people that account for most of the positive results in the country...

Are you seriously saying that if you’re older than 24, you’re in the older age categories and using that as an argument to say it’s mostly older people? Lol "

No what I'm getting at there is that everyone is saying it's the students and their house parties causing the rise in cases. And schools.

When the figures show those age categories (as by and large students are under 24) are the smaller percentage of all the new cases being reported.

Tipperary

They're saying this morning that it's no wonder we get a huge increase weeks after school return. 520 cases in 0-14 yos in last 2 weeks. They're saying alot of kids get it, are asymptomatic, spreading it to other kids in school and fam members at home. Expert saying better ventilation systems needed, class sizes need to be smaller, high risk students stay at home and are thought by high risk teachers. Also that masks for teachers and kids compulsory in primary school. Do we think schools are a big issue particularly primary In cases soaring?

East / North, Cork

"Stop thinking so much it's ok not to know all of the answers. "

I've generally found that thinking is a GOOD thing.. and looking for high level evidence and expert analysis is usually a good course of action when you dont know all the answers yourself.

It's certainly better than not even trying anyway.

Remember the Foot and Mouth outbreak 20 years ago, where if a hot spot occurred, they just executed entire herds of livestock and burnt their remains. Well that approach was extreme, but very effective.

I think we could learn a thing or two from the past.

By *oxic1998Woman  over a year ago

Belfast

Are you seriously saying that if you’re older than 24, you’re in the older age categories and using that as an argument to say it’s mostly older people? Lol

No what I'm getting at there is that everyone is saying it's the students and their house parties causing the rise in cases. And schools.

When the figures show those age categories (as by and large students are under 24) are the smaller percentage of all the new cases being reported.

"

Over 1000 cases in the North recorded yesterday and over 700 of those were aged between 20 and 59. People need to stop blaming the younger generation and look at their own habits

Belfast

"Remember the Foot and Mouth outbreak 20 years ago, where if a hot spot occurred, they just executed entire herds of livestock and burnt their remains. Well that approach was extreme, but very effective.

I think we could learn a thing or two from the past. "

I laughed out loud reading this and know I shouldn't have

"Remember the Foot and Mouth outbreak 20 years ago, where if a hot spot occurred, they just executed entire herds of livestock and burnt their remains. Well that approach was extreme, but very effective.

Ah here....

You're dark.

Line em up Gareth

By *oseredWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

I rarely if ever frequent pubs please don't take my wine away from me.

There is.

For example:

Clear? as I said, so everybody else whose not an "expert" should put up and shut up? Yould want to tell that to social media also. "

Twisting my words and simplifying my argument to completely distort it. It’s like arguing with a child the way you talk. It’s silly of me to engage you

"

Agh would ye stop with your silliness. The facts are there that ya caused by social gatherings in houses and other unregulated settings. Most people are correctly blaming this and not simply students. Go check where the outbreaks are. You’ll find the bast majority of ages also are under 40 which is young by any standards

Over 1000 cases in the North recorded yesterday and over 700 of those were aged between 20 and 59. People need to stop blaming the younger generation and look at their own habits "

That’s a very big age range. Tells very little. Break it down into 10 year intervals and I’d bet most are under 40

Belfast

Over 1000 cases in the North recorded yesterday and over 700 of those were aged between 20 and 59. People need to stop blaming the younger generation and look at their own habits

That’s a very big age range. Tells very little. Break it down into 10 year intervals and I’d bet most are under 40 "

Doesnt break it down in 10 year intervals. 20-39 today is 350 and 40 to 59 is is 269. Not such a big gap as you would expect. Just over 900 cases today

That’s a very big age range. Tells very little. Break it down into 10 year intervals and I’d bet most are under 40

Doesnt break it down in 10 year intervals. 20-39 today is 350 and 40 to 59 is is 269. Not such a big gap as you would expect. Just over 900 cases today "

Appreciate the response. Ye doesn’t look to much much difference. The north is very different to the south though and non comparable due to how open everything is.

In the south I’d still think most cases are under 40

The north has completely lost the run of themselves and will need to change something soon I’d say. Making some things very difficult for border counties and various other things

I'm with the foot and mouth crowd!

lockdown 50%, small wage increase for 5% and junior ministers, then have a great mass culling for the rest ..we should see things pick up just about time for St swivens day.

» Add a new message to this topic