FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Over-rated

Over-rated

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The Beatles have to be one of the most over-rated bands ever! Yeah sure they have some good songs, but they broke up fifty years ago, it's time people moved on.

Gary

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ynchsimonMan  over a year ago

North county Dublin Meath

The Rolling Stones, class!!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The Beatles have to be one of the most over-rated bands ever! Yeah sure they have some good songs, but they broke up fifty years ago, it's time people moved on.

Gary "

I'm becoming obsessed with collecting a copy of every Beatles single.

I need Help...

By *ostringslover888Man  over a year ago

south

Best pop band ever, pity pop was and is shite!

By *kcoupleCouple  over a year ago

"The Beatles have to be one of the most over-rated bands ever! Yeah sure they have some good songs, but they broke up fifty years ago, it's time people moved on.

Gary "

Gary Gary Gary. You are clearly on crack. Put the pipe down and get out the greatest hits

Gary

I'm becoming obsessed with collecting a copy of every Beatles single.

I need Help...

"

There's a good record shop down Penny Lane

Gary

Gary Gary Gary. You are clearly on crack. Put the pipe down and get out the greatest hits "

I'd have to say my favourite Beatles album would be the Best of the Beatles

Gary

Gary Gary Gary. You are clearly on crack. Put the pipe down and get out the greatest hits

I'd have to say my favourite Beatles album would be the Best of the Beatles"

Totally agree and my second fave is the best of part 2...this could go oooooooon and on

Gary

I'd have to say my favourite Beatles album would be the Best of the Beatles"

Just copped the Partridge quote

Gary

I'd have to say my favourite Beatles album would be the Best of the Beatles

Totally agree and my second fave is the best of part 2...this could go oooooooon and on "

I could get a good Eight Days A Week out of it

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Gary "

They broke up sure but the songs left left are just incredible and don't forget the amount of bands they inspired

No Oasis for a start

Also go and see

Paul Mc Cartney if he ever plays here again and you'll hear every one of their greatest songs live so they're not gone 50 years

Gary

They broke up sure but the songs left left are just incredible and don't forget the amount of bands they inspired

No Oasis for a start

Also go and see

Paul Mc Cartney if he ever plays here again and you'll hear every one of their greatest songs live so they're not gone 50 years "

I feel they really ruined Yoko Ono's career though :/

somewhere

Gary

No Oasis for a start

Also go and see

Paul Mc Cartney if he ever plays here again and you'll hear every one of their greatest songs live so they're not gone 50 years

I feel they really ruined Yoko Ono's career though :/"

It's not as if she needed help in fairness

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Tell me why.

You can't do that.

Let it be.

"Tell me why.

You can't do that.

Let it be.

"

We can work it out!

By *ittyMissKittyWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

Gary

No Oasis for a start

Also go and see

I feel they really ruined Yoko Ono's career though :/"

Ah you need to listen to her wing puff the magic dragon accompanied by a harp

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

Gary "

Spot on, easily most over rated band ever.

Gary

Spot on, easily most over rated band ever. "

You didn't like the Phantom Menace either Peter

Context folks!! They were Pioneers! And yes they were a great band, and certainly don’t deserve to be knocked. They were for sure one of the first bands that could be called all time greats. Before you reply with the knocks please view them live on the rooftop in Liverpool, I think their last live performance. To me this was them at their coolest. Plus , put on Sgt. Peppers album and listen. She’s Leaving Home, A Day in the Life, pure class and totally original.

The Beatles do deserve to be called greats, but it was all the blues artists before them that deserve it most for inspiring the likes of the Beatles and the stones. Though my fav are is iggy and the stooges, they helped wipe out the 60’s

Fun fact but Paul McCartney admitted that the Beatles masturbated in each others company. I guess that is how they wrote Come Together..

somewhere

[Removed by poster at 02/07/20 15:16:02]

somewhere

"Fun fact but Paul McCartney admitted that the Beatles masturbated in each others company. I guess that is how they wrote Come Together.. "

Or get by with a little help from my friends

Gary "

I (Gary) would like to make it known that I did not write this post, and I vehemently disagree. I could go on all day about what makes them the greatest band of all time (followed closely by The Beach Boys) but I'll summarise it by saying, Isserley is a prick

Gary

No Oasis for a start

Also go and see

Paul Mc Cartney if he ever plays here again and you'll hear every one of their greatest songs live so they're not gone 50 years "

I seen Paul McCartney play here 10 years ago and he was incredible! Every song a crowd pleaser, and played a number of Lennon/Harrison Beatles songs also.

somewhere

Gary

No Oasis for a start

Also go and see

I seen Paul McCartney play here 10 years ago and he was incredible! Every song a crowd pleaser, and played a number of Lennon/Harrison Beatles songs also."

And one of the nicest men in show business

When he played the 3arena years ago he was running late for his sound check and came onto the stage about an hour late

Sometimes the staff have to clear the arena during the souncheck but he asked everyone to stop working,to sit down and listen to his soundcheck.

So 50 people heard him sing some of his greatest hits and then he says Ive a special treat ...brings out a marching bagpipe band and plays Mull of Kintyre

By *easingTimMan  over a year ago

Loughlinstown

Gary "

----------------

Well, if Beatles songs are still known and sung at parties 50 years later... shows that they can't be too overrated

By *ouple 0073Couple  over a year ago

donegal

Gary "

Pantera

By *Belfast_FellaMan  over a year ago

belfast

I think for a lot of the Beatles' material you had to be there. They did change the way pop music was recorded, moving it from a singles to albums emphasis and they innovated in many ways (though they also had a keen eye for seeing what the Beach Boys, Dylan and others were doing and making it more commercial & popular before others did). However, like e.g. Monty Python did with comedy, some of it was very experimental and doesn't really stand up that well 50 years later.

The reality is, though, if there'd been no Beatles, then we'd probably also have no Led Zeppelin, no Stones, no Oasis (not necessarily a bad thing) and many, many other artists would sound entirely different.

By *P_80Man  over a year ago

Waterford

Haha when I read the title of the thread, before I even clicked on it, The Beatles came into my head.

That David Bowie fella is another one

"I think for a lot of the Beatles' material you had to be there. They did change the way pop music was recorded, moving it from a singles to albums emphasis and they innovated in many ways (though they also had a keen eye for seeing what the Beach Boys, Dylan and others were doing and making it more commercial & popular before others did). However, like e.g. Monty Python did with comedy, some of it was very experimental and doesn't really stand up that well 50 years later.

The reality is, though, if there'd been no Beatles, then we'd probably also have no Led Zeppelin, no Stones, no Oasis (not necessarily a bad thing) and many, many other artists would sound entirely different. "

Again, I'd like to point out that I did not write this initial post! My crafty gf was just up to her usual tricks.

But I cant imagine anyone who thinks they are over rated has actually listened to their discography, other than radio hits, most of which dont actually appear on any albums.

How many bands can say they released 12 studio albums of that calibre in 7 short years. Or had songs in all top 5 positions of the charts simultaneously.

Even culturally their impact is immeasurable. They popularised music promo videos that werent just videos of the band playing!

Although Lennon was a asshole in his younger days, after meeting Yoko in the 60s he became pretty much the only male superstar to use his platform as an activist to speak up about feminism and equal rights for women.

The surge of wealth that EMI (at the time also an electronics R&D company) acquired from their sales allowed the funding that directmy resulted in the invention of the CAT scanner.

If anything, The Beatles are under rated. You should go listen to Revolver now!

somewhere

"Haha when I read the title of the thread, before I even clicked on it, The Beatles came into my head.

"

Watched Bowie at Glastonbury last weekend

I think his greatest hits would stand up against most other artists

Waterford

"Haha when I read the title of the thread, before I even clicked on it, The Beatles came into my head.

Watched Bowie at Glastonbury last weekend

I think his greatest hits would stand up against most other artists

"

Oh without a doubt. Doesn't do a lot for me but clearly he's good at what he does.

I just don't get the almost god-like worship of him.

And sure while we're at it, Led Zeppelin bore the piss out of me too

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Other things that are overrated include...

Mrs Brown's Boys

Squirting

The Shawshank Redemption

Cocaine

Rattan furniture

Designer sunglasses

Jagermeister

William Shakespeare

Card games

Clonakilty Blackpudding

Organic vegetables

"Other things that are overrated include...

Mrs Brown's Boys

Squirting

The Shawshank Redemption

Cocaine

Rattan furniture

Designer sunglasses

Jagermeister

William Shakespeare

Card games

Clonakilty Blackpudding

Organic vegetables

"

I cant for the life of me understand how Mrs Brown Boys is so popular! I find it gut wrenching how bad it is.

South Dublin Area

Gary

You didn't like the Phantom Menace either Peter "

last jedi is worse in fairness

South Dublin Area

Mrs Brown's Boys

Squirting

The Shawshank Redemption

Cocaine

Rattan furniture

Designer sunglasses

Jagermeister

William Shakespeare

Card games

Clonakilty Blackpudding

Organic vegetables

"

Good list in fairness

Shawshank is a fantastic film but it wasnt even the best film made in 94

East / North, Cork

It is a good movie... but it's top rated movie of all time according to IMDB ratings. Overrated for sure.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

Another thing that's overrated is the tv program friends.

Waterford

Hotel California and American Pie have to be two of the most over rated songs ever

Mrs Brown's Boys

Squirting

The Shawshank Redemption

Cocaine

Rattan furniture

Designer sunglasses

Jagermeister

William Shakespeare

Card games

Clonakilty Blackpudding

Organic vegetables

I cant for the life of me understand how Mrs Brown Boys is so popular! I find it gut wrenching how bad it is."

I can only imagine it's on repeat in the torture suite in Guantanamo bay

somewhere

I'll tell you what's worse than Mr's Browns boys on the telly

Mr's Brown's Boys live in front of 5000 people

They even rehearse the "funny " mistakes and make the same ones in every show

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"I'll tell you what's worse than Mr's Browns boys on the telly

Mr's Brown's Boys live in front of 5000 people

They even rehearse the "funny " mistakes and make the same ones in every show "

First time I saw it on TV it was hilarious. Then I realised every episode was the same and the joke had worn thin at that point. Went to see the live show thinking it was new material but it was basically an episode from the TV show and it was painful.

By *he English OneMan  over a year ago

west

Gary "

Never liked them tbh altho come together is pretty good

Gary

You didn't like the Phantom Menace either Peter last jedi is worse in fairness "

I still can't get over how bad Rise of Skywalker was. A fleet of horses on a spaceship?? Why?

Mrs Brown's Boys

Squirting

The Shawshank Redemption

Cocaine

Rattan furniture

Designer sunglasses

Jagermeister

William Shakespeare

Card games

Clonakilty Blackpudding

Organic vegetables

"

Not going to lie, I'm a big fan of squirting, Shakespeare, and Clonakilty black pudding But Mrs Browns Boys and Shawshank can fuck off. I hate both of them.

South Dublin Area

Gary

You didn't like the Phantom Menace either Peter last jedi is worse in fairness

I still can't get over how bad Rise of Skywalker was. A fleet of horses on a spaceship?? Why?"

I thought it was ok on first viewing but subsequently no, its not great at all

"Hotel California and American Pie have to be two of the most over rated songs ever"

Sorry, and good morning but I can’t let that go! Both classics, AP is a classic ballad with a story and fantastic singer and superb guitarist.

HC, wtf, it is a brilliant musically. Please get your headphones and re listen . Have a good day!

Gary

I still can't get over how bad Rise of Skywalker was. A fleet of horses on a spaceship?? Why?"

In all the Star Wars movies, is that the only bit you can't get over?? Is the rest realistic enough?

I'm not going to ask what you thought of aquaman or wonder woman!

By *hocko87Man  over a year ago

dublin

Rock music is all good. Just luv all types of music. It heals the heart I think.

By *hocko87Man  over a year ago

dublin

The beatles are pure class any one that says different does not like music.

Waterford

"The beatles are pure class any one that says different does not like music. "

After almost 40 years on this Earth, today I find out that I don't like music.

Thanks for letting me know

belfast

Gary

I still can't get over how bad Rise of Skywalker was. A fleet of horses on a spaceship?? Why?

I thought it was ok on first viewing but subsequently no, its not great at all"

I agree, the more I think about TROS, the more I dislike it. I loved TLJ but TORS was just lazily thrown together.

South Dublin Area

Gary

I agree, the more I think about TROS, the more I dislike it. I loved TLJ but TORS was just lazily thrown together. "

You loved the The last jedi? got to be a troll, have to be.. Awful film.

Alright, I'm not going to talk about why the Beatles music was great, that's a matter of opinion. I'm going to talk about how The Beatles forever changed how music was written, recorded, and distributed, which is why they are the most influential musical group there ever was, or will be, and why they are in no way over rated.

Creative control:

Until the mid 60s, bands were contractually obliged by their record label to release new albums every 3 months. The Beatles fought this strongly and eventually won, allowing them to work under their own timelines to create quality, not quantity. This new practice paved the way for future bands to spend more time experimenting, and working in the studio, and eventually leads to better more creative music across the board.

Writing ALL their own songs:

Before Rubber Soul came out, it was unheard of for a band to write all their own tracks. Albums were 50% filler tracks and cover versions, just to fulfil record label guidelines. The Beatles made it the norm to write all their own material.

The Concept album:

Following up from the last few points. Bands would have no control over album trackist and they were just a selection of singles. The Beatles pioneered the concept album. This would have been unthinkable beforehand with albums full of covers and no say in which songs make the album or track order.

Live performances:

Playing to large stadiums was unheard of and thought absurd before the Beatles played in Shea Stadium. It was thought technically impossible to output music over such a wide area. After Shea Statium concert, every other band following suit, and eventually led to music festivals etc.

Music Videos:

When they stopped touring to spend more time in the studio, they needed a way to still make repeat public appearances, without having to waste time making guest appearances on tv. They pioneered the music promo video as a way to get around this. Before this, music videos were just live recording of the band playing, rather than written and directed short films.

Apple Records:

They were the first band to create their own record company so that they had full 100% creative control over ever aspect of their art, from records to merch. Steve jobs promised he would never delve into music if the Beatles let him call his computer company Apple too... the cheeky bugger.

Activism:

I said this in a previous post, but Lennon was arguable the first musician to use his fame and influence to speak out up for womens rights and feminism. This was in the late 60s when feminists were seen as hysterical bra burning lunatics, and I cant think of another male celebrity to speak in public about this issue at the time.

Basically, if you like bands who record great albums of origional tracks, take the time to perfect their creativity in the studio, create music videos, play at festivals, and speak out for what they believe in, you can thank the Beatles for pioneering all these things.

somewhere

Gary thanks for the info...never knew any of it

"Gary thanks for the info...never knew any of it "

Haha, Isserley knew she would eventually get a rise out of me by starting off this thread :P

belfast

Gary

I agree, the more I think about TROS, the more I dislike it. I loved TLJ but TORS was just lazily thrown together. You loved the The last jedi? got to be a troll, have to be.. Awful film. "

Troll? Thanks. No, I think it's the only one of the sequel trilogy that took chances with the franchise, as opposed to rehashing the original trilogy. Yes, it's too long and a bit bloated in places, but Rian Johnson at least tried to do something different with it, as oppose to pulling Palpatine out of their ass at the last minute. And I love Luke's last stand.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

The Star wars movies were released in the order they were, 3,4,5,1,2,3 because Yoda of scheduling in charge he was.

"The Star wars movies were released in the order they were, 3,4,5,1,2,3 because Yoda of scheduling in charge he was. "

Hahaha

somewhere

"Gary thanks for the info...never knew any of it

Haha, Isserley knew she would eventually get a rise out of me by starting off this thread :P "

In fairness to her I'm sure she knows easier ways to get a rise out of you

"Gary thanks for the info...never knew any of it

Haha, Isserley knew she would eventually get a rise out of me by starting off this thread :P

In fairness to her I'm sure she knows easier ways to get a rise out of you "

Boioioioing!!!

South Dublin Area

Gary

I agree, the more I think about TROS, the more I dislike it. I loved TLJ but TORS was just lazily thrown together. You loved the The last jedi? got to be a troll, have to be.. Awful film.

Troll? Thanks. No, I think it's the only one of the sequel trilogy that took chances with the franchise, as opposed to rehashing the original trilogy. Yes, it's too long and a bit bloated in places, but Rian Johnson at least tried to do something different with it, as oppose to pulling Palpatine out of their ass at the last minute. And I love Luke's last stand. "

ITs like something the zucker brothers would do. Luke throwing the saber over his shoulder wtf?

By *ohndunboyneMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

"Context folks!! They were Pioneers! And yes they were a great band, and certainly don’t deserve to be knocked. They were for sure one of the first bands that could be called all time greats. Before you reply with the knocks please view them live on the rooftop in Liverpool, I think their last live performance. To me this was them at their coolest. Plus , put on Sgt. Peppers album and listen. She’s Leaving Home, A Day in the Life, pure class and totally original. "

Love that rooftop gig

Also the Ferris Beuller Street parade bit.

Personally love John Lennon solo stuff too, some great songs

Well..it's like this ...if you say the Beatles are over rated ..how many of the utterly absolutely crap artists that are around today will ever reach their level of achievement..the standard of the music industry has reached an all time low ...the older bands are STILL the best bands ..full stop...the Beatles were way ahead of their time ..game changers regards the Music industry.

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

U2 I feel are the most over rated

Gary "

Taking off overrated don't even start me on Bob Dylan

Folks how can anything be overrated when there is no objective assessment? It's all subjective, everyone has different tastes.

Now if you want to discuss someone/something actually overrated how about Moh Salah?

Statpadding fraud and flat track bully that he is.

on the hill NordWest of

"Folks how can anything be overrated when there is no objective assessment? It's all subjective, everyone has different tastes.

Now if you want to discuss someone/something actually overrated how about Moh Salah?

Statpadding fraud and flat track bully that he is. "

I throw in football altogether.

South Dublin Area

"U2 I feel are the most over rated "

Sacrilege

Name another band to reinvent themselves and remain at the top for so long

"Folks how can anything be overrated when there is no objective assessment? It's all subjective, everyone has different tastes.

I throw in football altogether. "

Can't dislike it that much when you know who he is!

on the hill NordWest of

I throw in football altogether.

Can't dislike it that much when you know who he is! "

He's a footballer, all I need to know.

I wonder have you ever listened to No Line on Horizon and call them over rated. Opinions are great but I would presume one has listened to their albums. The best in my opinion are Beetles, Mamas and Papas, Steely Dan (wow), Bowie, and no list can be complete without Radiohead, incredible band.

East / North, Cork

I should have had them on my list. Generic rock by numbers. The only thing they had going for them in the first place was distinctive vocal style.. but that novalty wore off a long time ago.

South Dublin Area

"U2 I feel are the most over rated

I wonder have you ever listened to No Line on Horizon and call them over rated. Opinions are great but I would presume one has listened to their albums. The best in my opinion are Beetles, Mamas and Papas, Steely Dan (wow), Bowie, and no list can be complete without Radiohead, incredible band."

Radiohead are taking the piss at this stage, after the album’s they had going off and doing the other stuff

Okay so I feel like I need to post and say that I wrote this pretending to be Gary because I wanted to take the piss out him, I actually really like the Beatles! Sorry that this grew legs and now is having actual arguments

I'm a big music fan but their style has never appealed to me

on the hill NordWest of

"Okay so I feel like I need to post and say that I wrote this pretending to be Gary because I wanted to take the piss out him, I actually really like the Beatles! Sorry that this grew legs and now is having actual arguments "

I knew it's a piss take but I didn't put the ghost writing together although I wondered why you're so eagerly posting after the initial post.

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

I found myself listening to a band called night wish, operatic rock, the new front woman has a distinct and powerful voice.. tho not everyone's taste.

By *yesgreenMan  over a year ago

north and south

"I found myself listening to a band called night wish, operatic rock, the new front woman has a distinct and powerful voice.. tho not everyone's taste."
Its about the words , Yesterday all my Troubles were so far away , Resonates with people, It’s a hard days night , same , when am 64 , And I only have the Greatest hits on cassette

By *ohndunboyneMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

"U2 I feel are the most over rated

Sacrilege

Name another band to reinvent themselves and remain at the top for so long "

I'd say Rolling Stones but I don't think they ever changed tack much.

There again ACFUCKINDC are one of my all time faves and are still filling stadiums with the pretty much same music.

That's what some people think anyway.

Go back to the Powerage album and compare it with Rock or Bust. Totally different music.

» Add a new message to this topic