By *j_mark OP   Couple 7 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

You can now use your normal phone emojis on the forum too 🤓👊👍🏻🥳💡🐙

Admin x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ornucopiaMan 7 weeks ago

Bexley

Retrograde step as far as forum is concerned.

Already getting some as part of thread titles. why? What sensible purpose do they serve?

It always worked fine without any.

The dumbing down of Fab has begun!

By *asmine_23Woman 7 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"Retrograde step as far as forum is concerned.

Already getting some as part of thread titles. why? What sensible purpose do they serve?

The dumbing down of Fab has begun!"

Womp womp 🙂‍↔️

By *woWayWorshipMan 7 weeks ago

Angus

"Womp womp 🙂‍↔️"

😂😂💀

Wrt to emoji being allowed, I think it's a good thing to add more functionality and if someone doesn't like it, they don't need use it. Bit weird to get annoyed seeing others use it imo 😇

And pro-tip for our PC users out there, use the shortcut windows key+. (windows key and full stop) to bring up the emoji menu 🤓

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 27/07/24 02:05:46]

Bexley

"Womp womp 🙂‍↔️

😂😂💀

Wrt to emoji being allowed, I think it's a good thing to add more functionality and if someone doesn't like it, they don't need use it. Bit weird to get annoyed seeing others use it imo 😇

And pro-tip for our PC users out there, use the shortcut windows key+. (windows key and full stop) to bring up the emoji menu 🤓"

Don't confuse having contempt with being annoyed!

Bexley

"

Don't confuse having contempt with being annoyed!"

The word I was really trying to recall for deployment is 'disdain' but 'contempt' isn't too far off track where my attitude to emoji culture is concerned!

(Note the perfectly adequate use of ! for finishing a post. It always worked better than ?? on pre-emoji fab)

By *atandasmileMan 7 weeks ago

Edinburgh

I'm going to relate the tale of how I came to understand smileys' place in the world (and, yes, I said "smiley" - you'll see why). I'm not doing this to argue; I'm doing it to maybe create a bit of understanding.

A long time ago (when it was smileys and before emoji came along) I too got annoyed at them. A bit of a purist on the written word . Then I read a study that was published on them. They looked at tone in emails and how it was received. The short version of their findings is that without smileys the recipient incorrectly interpreted the tone of the message *more than half of the time*; with smileys the success rate was much higher. I can't remember numbers but the difference was stark.

Smileys / emoji help to make up for the side channels that are missing in text-only communication. Body language, facial expressions, tone of voice and they are useful. Very useful.

I changed my mind after that, and started using them. Now I like them, even if it does take me ages to find the one I want 🤷‍♂️.

By *icecouple561Couple 7 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Dumbing down? How so?

Bexley

The dumbing down of Fab has begun!

Dumbing down? How so?"

Well, your emoji free response was a good example of a non dumbed down (with emojis)response.

The poster above you made some interesting points about interpretation, proving that well written text need not be confusing or ambiguous. However, the inclusion of several emojis was unnecessary as far as I was concerned as a reader. To me they are just a visual distraction and usually slow down my reading.

No doubt for some their use is as important expressively as gesticulating wildly while making an audio only phone call!

Soon, perhaps, communication without these apparently essential extras might come to be seen as the dumbed down version!

Now that I realise why ?? has being appearing so much recently I have chuckled a lot at the gun jumpers where the delayed forum change was concerned.

By *icecouple561Couple 7 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

^^ ok.

I find it slightly ironic that on a site where we're almost daily asked if we're going out with no knickers on you feel that allowing emojis in the forum is dumbing down

By *atandasmileMan 7 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"^^ ok.

I find it slightly ironic that on a site where we're almost daily asked if we're going out with no knickers on you feel that allowing emojis in the forum is dumbing down "

Surely said question is of the deepest nature, reflecting the powerful intellects abundant on fab 😉.

By *ucka39Man 7 weeks ago

Newcastle

So be plenty of 💦💦💔👥👀🛌💦😂🕳️🍌🌶️🌺🍆🍳😭🥳

But great news thank you adds a bit more colour as well 🙃

By *inkyDuo XXXCouple 7 weeks ago

somewhere near you

Oooo ❤️ this upgrade to Fab.

Do they work in messages too? 😁

By *idnightMischiefMan 7 weeks ago