FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Ulster Subforum

Ulster Subforum

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ustaboutSane OP   Man 15 weeks ago

My World

Area that is over 2 hrs drive east to west and over 1.5 hrs drive north south with it's own dedicated BT postal codes, culturally different, different

humour from the south from the south, a very active fab community with regular socials it would seem obvious to have its own dedicated Subforum.

It would be used far more than some of the current Subforums.

What are other people's thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ealitybitesMan 15 weeks ago

Belfast

I honestly don't agree that it would be used more often.

The Ireland forum can go for hours without a single comment on any thread and there just isn't a big enough or an active enough community in NI to warrant a new forum.

This topic has been brought up many times before and the vast majority of posters in NI said it would be of no benefit because everything they needed to chat about was already available on the Ireland forum.

Just take a look at the Scotland and Wales forums where the majority of topics have less than 20 replies to threads that are a week old.

My World

"I honestly don't agree that it would be used more often.

The Ireland forum can go for hours without a single comment on any thread and there just isn't a big enough or an active enough community in NI to warrant a new forum.

This topic has been brought up many times before and the vast majority of posters in NI said it would be of no benefit because everything they needed to chat about was already available on the Ireland forum.

Just take a look at the Scotland and Wales forums where the majority of topics have less than 20 replies to threads that are a week old.

"

Not sure if you really looked or just an opinion but I just looked at the Scottish one and I stopped at 80 threads that were currently active and stated less than a week ago. Scotland is a lot more remote that NI.

I don't really see the relevance though of your point comparing others in that way. There are more factors that you overlook. It's not necessarily about numbers at a particular week or two either.

There are many who would join in the forum if it were more active with a more local representation than predominantly a southern presence.

If your argument had any weight why are those and other sub forums still functioning?

Surely if its something that can add to the local community it can only be a good thing.

By *ealitybitesMan 15 weeks ago

Belfast

Not sure if you really looked or just an opinion but I just looked at the Scottish one and I stopped at 80 threads that were currently active and stated less than a week ago. Scotland is a lot more remote that NI.

I don't really see the relevance though of your point comparing others in that way. There are more factors that you overlook. It's not necessarily about numbers at a particular week or two either.

There are many who would join in the forum if it were more active with a more local representation than predominantly a southern presence.

If your argument had any weight why are those and other sub forums still functioning?

Surely if its something that can add to the local community it can only be a good thing."

Ok then. Take a look at the London forum. A population 4 times that of NI and yet most threads have single figure replies.

There are no clubs in NI, not enough events and not a big enough community to warrant a separate forum.

It would quickly become repetitive and insular with the same handful of people commenting.

Less than 5 percent of members use the forums overall and I'm not sure your assertion that more would take part if there was a dedicated NI forum carries any weight.

A much better suggestion would be an improved search function for NI so that the majority of results aren't in Scotland or the North of England.

My World

Surely if its something that can add to the local community it can only be a good thing.

Ok then. Take a look at the London forum. A population 4 times that of NI and yet most threads have single figure replies.

There are no clubs in NI, not enough events and not a big enough community to warrant a separate forum.

It would quickly become repetitive and insular with the same handful of people commenting.

Less than 5 percent of members use the forums overall and I'm not sure your assertion that more would take part if there was a dedicated NI forum carries any weight.

A much better suggestion would be an improved search function for NI so that the majority of results aren't in Scotland or the North of England. "

Ok. When I was was over recently it was raised and I was really surprised there wasn't one. They did say they thought the humour was quite different from the south. They don't engage much in the Irish forum because they found it quite closed and mainly for those in ireland.

Maybe there's a few things that need to look for NI, as you say search is one.

Maybe more would happen if they had their own forum.

I just had a quick look and couldn't

see anything north related so can see another reason why to consider it. I can only see positives so I wouldn't want to say no to having it.

Anyway it's just a suggestion from observations and conversations from my time there but I guess you have a different perspective from living there.

By *ipstick KissesWoman 15 weeks ago

South Down

I'm in favour of the status quo for all of the reasons RB has already mentioned.

I'd also add that events in NI are rarely undersubscribed and have a great mix of attendees from both sides of the border - I think separate sub forums would be detrimental to that at worst, and unwieldy for event organisers at best.

I also think potential posters who say there isn't enough NI specific contact in the Ireland sub forum and who say they'd post more if there was, are perpetuating the problem - just get involved & post the topics you want to see.

And lastly, surely we have enough division on this island? Do we need to be more insular?

» Add a new message to this topic