FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Blood work on NHS?

Blood work on NHS?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hyOn3 OP   Man 2 weeks ago

Glasgow

Hi folks,

I’m looking to get back into training and resemble some other shape other than round

Anyway I’m looking to get full blood work done to check everything out before hitting it hard

Does anyone know if you can get this through your GP (assuming I can get them to answer the damn phone) or would I need to go private?

Looking to get a dexa scan too, I would expect I’d need to go private for that.

I’m not too sure about these mail order services, but fear it might be the only way

Thanks in advance

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ookie69Man 2 weeks ago

Whistle Dixie

I would suggest going private. Appointments will be a substantial wait for what you’re looking for.

Many people are suffering with more acute illnesses.

You’re FBC may be a lot sooner but the ECG would be lengthy, that would be most important.

In saying that, keeping active and staying healthy would be part of your mental health and well being.

To shed some light, I’ve waited 6months so far for an Ultrasound and women in pregnancy get them regularly.

Good luck,

It’s good to read that some pre- work in looking after your health is your safety and priority first.

Glasgow

"I would suggest going private. Appointments will be a substantial wait for what you’re looking for.

Many people are suffering with more acute illnesses.

You’re FBC may be a lot sooner but the ECG would be lengthy, that would be most important.

In saying that, keeping active and staying healthy would be part of your mental health and well being.

To shed some light, I’ve waited 6months so far for an Ultrasound and women in pregnancy get them regularly.

Good luck,

It’s good to read that some pre- work in looking after your health is your safety and priority first. "

Thanks for the reply

I’ll have a look for some private clinics, hopefully there may be some sports specific ones near by, come to think about it. I think there is one at Hampden.

Mainly looking to get a baseline on everything and see where my testosterone is sitting, I’m no spring chicken anymore lol

By *ellinever70Woman 2 weeks ago

Ayrshire

If you're not ill, I'm unsure why you'd get these on NHS

Glasgow

"If you're not ill, I'm unsure why you'd get these on NHS "

Whenever I’ve ever had any blood tests done it’s always been through GP, so I wasn’t sure if they would do sport blood work too. They most likely do just depends on the GP and charge you a fortune for it lol

By *bcums3Couple 2 weeks ago

lanarkshire

I would go private at the price it costs to run bloods your GP won’t do them unless you are ill or have symptoms

By *eaSlutsCouple 2 weeks ago

Glasgow

GPs will likely not bother to do any bloods for the purposes of you getting back into training. There would need to be a background illness needing investigated/monitored for them to prompt bloods.

Also, a DEXA scan would only be requested if you had issues with bone mineral density loss so they definitely wouldn't put you forward for that at all. Theres a very long waiting time for these scans at the moment as well.

GPs will also be considering the cost of these tests, especially in times of significant budget pressures.

As others have said, it would be best going private.

C x

By *oveboobsMan 2 weeks ago

Larkhall

"Hi folks,

I’m looking to get back into training and resemble some other shape other than round

Anyway I’m looking to get full blood work done to check everything out before hitting it hard

Does anyone know if you can get this through your GP (assuming I can get them to answer the damn phone) or would I need to go private?

I’m not too sure about these mail order services, but fear it might be the only way

Thanks in advance "

Im with Vitality, you can pay extra for more indepth blood work and a sorta full MOT, i did last yeah and highlighted a couple of things i have improved on, ill do it again this year too

By *astwoodMan 2 weeks ago

Perth

"Hi folks,

Thanks in advance "

You would need to go private, unless something wrong with you, then the most they gonna do is liver, thyroid, kidney, Vit D, folate etc. The NHS is sh**te at the moment, they don't do preventitive/preemptive bloods unlike places like Germany that do annual health checks... the reason: because if they did, they would find so many chronic conditions/diseases it would overwhelm the already broken NHS.

The best company I have found and have used for years is Medichecks.com - Their customer service is top-notch, friendly, helpful, plus competitive prices, and often have discount codes if you sign up to the mailing list. Probably the best test for you is 'Ultimate Performance', its £199 plus blood draw fee from local clinic/pharmacy (map on site) but tests 56 biomarkers - Some tests you can do at home with finger-prick.

If you doing testosterone (hormones included in Ultimate Performance), do your test at around 9-10am when T levels peak, this will give you a good baseline to work from and compare with future tests.

Good luck...

By *isstucWoman 2 weeks ago

Glasgow

For occupational purposes you will need to pay for them privately particularly if its requiring certain immunology - standard blood tests cost from about £56 per item depending on what you are wanting - few places in glasgow u can get these done in

By *r-p-mrs-cCouple 2 weeks ago

near dumfries

Dave Crossland has a bloodwork company for bodybuilders etc. It's called E-val. Think it's alittle over £100 per test. Check him out on instragram

By *ark EdgeCouple 2 weeks ago

Stirling

You need to go private.

Glasgow

Wow, thanks for all the advice everyone. I wasn’t expecting such a response

I’ll look at all the various options, and see what route to take, it definitely seems like private is the way to go.

Thanks again folks I appreciate it

By *ugbyBawsMan 2 weeks ago

Fife

I got my testosterone checked on NHS, just make sure it is before 10 am. But they only check the basics, nothing in depth and the range that they class as normal is shocking.

I would go private if you have the cash for it.

By *shunter69Man 1 week ago

Glasgow

Plenty private testing companies about. Pay an extra fee to get your blood drawn by a nurse rather than the basic finger prick test, more accurate, especially if testing for more markers than just test alone. I check my test a couple times a year and a full hormone/blood panel once a year after some issues a while back.

You would have to be half dead to get the NHS to look at you with anything hormone related, as long as you medically in range they will do little, no matter your symptoms!

» Add a new message to this topic