FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Who needs these expensive mayors

Who needs these expensive mayors

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *CBoy OP   TV/TS 2 weeks ago

Penygraig

Isn't it about time we were able to vote for all these additional regional politicians to be abolished. More money paid out and no benefit to the population at all. When I lived in S Yorkshire the only good thing the mayor seemed to do is limit bus fares to £2 a journey. Did it really need an expensive mayor to do that??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *an DeLyonMan 1 week ago

County Durham

"Isn't it about time we were able to vote for all these additional regional politicians to be abolished. More money paid out and no benefit to the population at all. When I lived in S Yorkshire the only good thing the mayor seemed to do is limit bus fares to £2 a journey. Did it really need an expensive mayor to do that?? "

I honestly do not understand why we need mayors at all.

Other than its s job to Syphon money out of taxpayers into their bank accounts.

By *altenkommandoMan 1 week ago

milton keynes

"Isn't it about time we were able to vote for all these additional regional politicians to be abolished. More money paid out and no benefit to the population at all. When I lived in S Yorkshire the only good thing the mayor seemed to do is limit bus fares to £2 a journey. Did it really need an expensive mayor to do that?? "

Most policy takes about 20 years to mature to see the full effect, soemthing politicians don’t care about as it’s not tomorrow’s headlines.

Devolved regional government is the expensive and failed New Labour policy coming home to roost.

By *usybee73Man 1 week ago

in the sticks

Was thinking about this the other week, as in what's the point in them?

Though don't understand why they have to be in a political party? Surely they should be independent?

By *altenkommandoMan 1 week ago

milton keynes

"Was thinking about this the other week, as in what's the point in them?

Though don't understand why they have to be in a political party? Surely they should be independent?"

You are getting people standing under a party banner for parish councillors now. And Police & Crime Commissioners?

I think the parties see the world through the optics of having more members at every level of public administration as being an indicator of popularity or success.

By *oxychick35Couple 1 week ago

thornaby

Though don't understand why they have to be in a political party? Surely they should be independent?"

couldn’t agree more

By *ools and the brainCouple 1 week ago

couple, us we him her.

Seems to be something adopted from American system.

The country is not big enough to justify having an independent person in office to make more decisions.

A mayor should be a figurehead or a novelty person in place for openings of new park's or pushing a button when a chimney is being blown up.

What's the point of having a council and a council leader then a mayor, just more mouths to feed from the public purse.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 5 days ago

Eastbourne

There was a few in the town where I grew up, had a fantastic couple of mayors. They said no to a lot of things, as it diverted money away from the local community. In addition to that, they only used the mayors car service on official duties, everything else they used thier own cars.

I know this is a rarity, but it does exist.

By *ornucopiaMan 4 days ago

Bexley

Though don't understand why they have to be in a political party? Surely they should be independent?couldn’t agree more "

The problem is that if they were supposed to be independent they would still secretly be politically controlled under the guise of being independent.

Better that it is out in the open and we know who is really pulling the strings.

» Add a new message to this topic