FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Left, centre or right

Left, centre or right

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

This is just a general musing, and was wondering, if you lean to the left, you are classed as left wing. If you are centrist, you are generally labled a liberal. But apparently if you have any leaning to the right you are deemed far right?

Is this anywhere near correct? Or am I being very naive and presumptuous?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"This is just a general musing, and was wondering, if you lean to the left, you are classed as left wing. If you are centrist, you are generally labled a liberal. But apparently if you have any leaning to the right you are deemed far right?

Is this anywhere near correct? Or am I being very naive and presumptuous? "

Big difference between being conservative,right and far right.Id say someone like Tommy Robinson was far right.

liverpool

"This is just a general musing, and was wondering, if you lean to the left, you are classed as left wing. If you are centrist, you are generally labled a liberal. But apparently if you have any leaning to the right you are deemed far right?

Could say the say about left wing.Corbyn was left wing but was labelled some extreme Marxist.

Thanks for this, just find it rather confusing at times, especially when not so left ir not so right ideas get bandied about as far right or far left.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

try here,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left%E2%80%93right_political_spectrum

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Thanks for this, just find it rather confusing at times, especially when not so left ir not so right ideas get bandied about as far right or far left. "

i think recently its hard to read anything online without a comment labelling it as left or right as though one or the other makes you a scumbag

even the race row seems to be attracting the same labelling as though all black people must be left and all white must be right (or all right must be racist)

both sides have been morphed into a caricature of their worst elements as far as media be that social or mainstream are concerned , and with that people seem to have forgotten that there isnt only left and right , black and white (colour spectrum not skin tone) , there is an entire landscape of grey in the middle

i personally don’t even know where i would sit, my ideology would probably be somewhere centre right, but i don’t identify with any party because there are elements of them all that i really dislike and policies from most that i would back with the correct application

i know politics had always been a divisive subject but it seems like more recently is purposefully being used to create a clear divide between 2 groups (similar to americas system) when i think a much better solution would be trying to find some working version of cross party collaboration

if you keep the minions focussed on arguing with the other minions, the people actually in power from these parties can carry on ballsing it up with nobody with any time left to challenge them

liverpool

"Thanks for this, just find it rather confusing at times, especially when not so left ir not so right ideas get bandied about as far right or far left.

i think recently its hard to read anything online without a comment labelling it as left or right as though one or the other makes you a scumbag

even the race row seems to be attracting the same labelling as though all black people must be left and all white must be right (or all right must be racist)

both sides have been morphed into a caricature of their worst elements as far as media be that social or mainstream are concerned , and with that people seem to have forgotten that there isnt only left and right , black and white (colour spectrum not skin tone) , there is an entire landscape of grey in the middle

i personally don’t even know where i would sit, my ideology would probably be somewhere centre right, but i don’t identify with any party because there are elements of them all that i really dislike and policies from most that i would back with the correct application

i know politics had always been a divisive subject but it seems like more recently is purposefully being used to create a clear divide between 2 groups (similar to americas system) when i think a much better solution would be trying to find some working version of cross party collaboration

if you keep the minions focussed on arguing with the other minions, the people actually in power from these parties can carry on ballsing it up with nobody with any time left to challenge them"

Agree completely with the last bit.Works every time and the great british public fall for it.

"try here,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left%E2%80%93right_political_spectrum

"

I shall have a read, thanks.

"Thanks for this, just find it rather confusing at times, especially when not so left ir not so right ideas get bandied about as far right or far left.

if you keep the minions focussed on arguing with the other minions, the people actually in power from these parties can carry on ballsing it up with nobody with any time left to challenge them"

Thank you, this is really what I was thinking, just about, but not able to articulate as well as this. I am unsure where I would sit on the spectrum, but it would probably be centrist, or "classical Liberal", but as you said, the media just try and sensationalise evrything as to try and divide us all.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Well I think your being very very nieve(well you did ask).

This is a modern over simplifation of these things as many like to put people into little boxes,well most do not fit into little boxes

Is this anywhere near correct? Or am I being very naive and presumptuous? Well I think your being very very nieve(well you did ask).

This is a modern over simplifation of these things as many like to put people into little boxes,well most do not fit into little boxes"

I did guess I was maybe being naive regarding this, so don't mind you saying so.

And yes, it may be an over simplification, as I said before, I'm not sure where I'd sit on the political spectrum, and I am really not for any form of identity politics whether this coming from the left or right, but as the world is rather getting polarised and more confusing, thought I'd ask.

It is false, you are not a nationalist just cos you are right, it is somwthing that the extreme left have made up to be.

"It is false, you are not a nationalist just cos you are right, it is somwthing that the extreme left have made up to be."

As in only right wingers are nationalists?

"It is false, you are not a nationalist just cos you are right, it is somwthing that the extreme left have made up to be.

As in only right wingers are nationalists? "

Kind of, but you can like your country without being branded as a nationaslist as well.

liverpool

"It is false, you are not a nationalist just cos you are right, it is somwthing that the extreme left have made up to be."

Nationalists tend to more right wing.

"It is false, you are not a nationalist just cos you are right, it is somwthing that the extreme left have made up to be.

As in only right wingers are nationalists? Kind of, but you can like your country without being branded as a nationaslist as well."

Yes, I totally get tgat, I love the country I am from, but not sure if I'd class myself as a nationalist. I was listening to a podcast this morning about ALL people losing their sovereignty, and got me thinking.

Nationalists tend to more right wing."

That is right but in sweden the definition is different there you are it on any scale on the right.

i would suggest the opposite in scotland ... kinda my point about how its not se easy to try carve every thought up as right or left

i would suggest the opposite in scotland ... kinda my point about how its not se easy to try carve every thought up as right or left"

I'm from Scotland, so know what you mean, and no you can't place it all as, left or right, and cherry picking from both wouldn't make you a centrist either. We've purposely barely watched the news for over 6 weeks, hearing snippets on radio or off family and friends because of the way the media on both sides portray everything

liverpool

i would suggest the opposite in scotland ... kinda my point about how its not se easy to try carve every thought up as right or left"

Yeah true nicola sturgeon is quite left wing.

As in only right wingers are nationalists? Kind of, but you can like your country without being branded as a nationaslist as well.

Yes, I totally get tgat, I love the country I am from, but not sure if I'd class myself as a nationalist. I was listening to a podcast this morning about ALL people losing their sovereignty, and got me thinking. "

That is right too and as well, there is nothing wrong to have your flag on display either, being proud of being english or swedish in my case is not being a nationalist either.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

That's very true indeed. It's normally anyone right wing or dare to love their country that gets classed as nationalist.

I don't think sturgen would take kindly to being classed as right wing

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

It's an old trick of the (generally) right of center media, to label everything left of center as "extreme" or "looney".

If you say these things enough it sticks in people's heads.

Corbyn was targeted mercilessly the whole time he was Labour leader. Yet the majority of his policies were fairly standard European Liberal fare.

In fact, it was shown many times if you took the policy by itself, without tying it to a particular party, quite a large majority of people supported the bulk of the propositions.

milton keynes

"It's an old trick of the (generally) right of center media, to label everything left of center as "extreme" or "looney".

Corbyn was targeted mercilessly the whole time he was Labour leader. Yet the majority of his policies were fairly standard European Liberal fare.

In fact, it was shown many times if you took the policy by itself, without tying it to a particular party, quite a large majority of people supported the bulk of the propositions. "

The trick works both ways as left of centre media label any right of centre as Nazis, bigots,racist ect

They are as bad as each other

"It's an old trick of the (generally) right of center media, to label everything left of center as "extreme" or "looney".

In fact, it was shown many times if you took the policy by itself, without tying it to a particular party, quite a large majority of people supported the bulk of the propositions.

The trick works both ways as left of centre media label any right of centre as Nazis, bigots,racist ect

"

If it was an even split, maybe. But there is very little left of center media.

milton keynes

"

My point is both sides use the same tactic so by criticising one side for it you automatically criticise the other

i would suggest the opposite in scotland ... kinda my point about how its not se easy to try carve every thought up as right or left

That's very true indeed. It's normally anyone right wing or dare to love their country that gets classed as nationalist.

I don't think sturgen would take kindly to being classed as right wing"

Yes being proud of your country doesnt equal to nationalism.

100% this

They are as bad as each other"

And this

The political spectrum right now is a bit more complex to define purely by left/right wing. There is another division of conservative/libertarian/liberal (meaning progressives) which is a better segregation.

But most people I have met are conservative, in some aspects, pro freedom in other aspects and pro equality in many more aspects. So it is hard to label someone using simple names.

By *y Favorite PornstarCouple  over a year ago

Slough

Personally I think the labels are utter nonsense and only used to manipulate people. There are 2 questions that determine over 80% of what you think politically:

1. Either you believe private property rights are the primary source of wealth creation or you don't

2. Either you think individual rights should take priority over the society / collective rights, or you don't

Yes, yes = liberal

Yes, no = conservative

No, no = marxist / facist (same thing really)

No, yes = confused person

I'm classed as central with slight left wing ideals. Overall I try to listen to both sides of a discussion and see evidence, then build my own answer

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

I'm not so sure. "British jobs for British workers" Gordon Brown.

The concept of left and right goes back to the French Revolution. It’s a little bit outdated and the political landscape now is far more diverse and complicated these days.

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

I don't think sturgen would take kindly to being classed as right wing"

I'm not so sure. "British jobs for British workers" Gordon Brown.

"

Hardly rampaging nationalism, more a vote winning tactic.

My point is both sides use the same tactic so by criticising one side for it you automatically criticise the other

"

Undoubtedly, but my point is that there is very little mainstream left wing media. So the ordinary person hears a lot more pillorying of the left than vice versa.

There was a study done regarding negative media coverage at the last election by researchers at Loughborough Uni.

“Press hostility to Labour in 2019 was more than double the levels identified in 2017. By the same measure, negative coverage of the Conservatives halved.”

Undoubtedly, but my point is that there is very little mainstream left wing media. So the ordinary person hears a lot more pillorying of the left than vice versa.

There was a study done regarding negative media coverage at the last election by researchers at Loughborough Uni.

“Press hostility to Labour in 2019 was more than double the levels identified in 2017. By the same measure, negative coverage of the Conservatives halved.”"

Maybe there is a disproprtionate amout of left wing media, until you include social media and youtube etc

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

In fact, it was shown many times if you took the policy by itself, without tying it to a particular party, quite a large majority of people supported the bulk of the propositions. "

That's what's so annoying. Personality politics over what's genuinely best for the country.

The other element to consider here is that your average voter is fairly quiet on politics. They have their say in the ballot box and keep it private. That’s a phenomenon that’s stunned pollsters and commentators on a number of referenda and elections now. Social media, academia and the health service have a large Labour presence and they’re fairly vocal in their support. I’ve lost track of how many political discussion groups or even key worker groups I’ve been in that have been completely overran with Labour activists. If I wasn’t a switched on woman and just took a snapshot of those groups and showed you the content, you’d start to believe that Labours was the only legitimate political ideology in the UK. You’d start to question how the Conservatives won so comprehensively. The left, in general, has a younger demographic. They’re more passionate, vocal, tech savvy and socially liberal - they’re not concerned with people knowing their politics. Those in the centre of the spectrum and moving right tend to keep themselves to themselves, hence the name ‘shy tories’

"The other element to consider here is that your average voter is fairly quiet on politics. They have their say in the ballot box and keep it private. That’s a phenomenon that’s stunned pollsters and commentators on a number of referenda and elections now. Social media, academia and the health service have a large Labour presence and they’re fairly vocal in their support. I’ve lost track of how many political discussion groups or even key worker groups I’ve been in that have been completely overran with Labour activists. If I wasn’t a switched on woman and just took a snapshot of those groups and showed you the content, you’d start to believe that Labours was the only legitimate political ideology in the UK. You’d start to question how the Conservatives won so comprehensively. The left, in general, has a younger demographic. They’re more passionate, vocal, tech savvy and socially liberal - they’re not concerned with people knowing their politics. Those in the centre of the spectrum and moving right tend to keep themselves to themselves, hence the name ‘shy tories’ "

how much of that keeping to themselves is caused by “cancel culture” , social media is a beast when combined with politics and if people speak out on anything that doesnt fit with a liberal left agenda the abuse received is unbelievable... probably why they are happy to keep their talking for a ballot booth

(i dont mean people being afraid to be publicly racist btw before someone jumps on that ... racism is not political its just dickhead behaviour)

"The other element to consider here is that your average voter is fairly quiet on politics. They have their say in the ballot box and keep it private. That’s a phenomenon that’s stunned pollsters and commentators on a number of referenda and elections now. Social media, academia and the health service have a large Labour presence and they’re fairly vocal in their support. I’ve lost track of how many political discussion groups or even key worker groups I’ve been in that have been completely overran with Labour activists. If I wasn’t a switched on woman and just took a snapshot of those groups and showed you the content, you’d start to believe that Labours was the only legitimate political ideology in the UK. You’d start to question how the Conservatives won so comprehensively. The left, in general, has a younger demographic. They’re more passionate, vocal, tech savvy and socially liberal - they’re not concerned with people knowing their politics. Those in the centre of the spectrum and moving right tend to keep themselves to themselves, hence the name ‘shy tories’

how much of that keeping to themselves is caused by “cancel culture” , social media is a beast when combined with politics and if people speak out on anything that doesnt fit with a liberal left agenda the abuse received is unbelievable... probably why they are happy to keep their talking for a ballot booth

(i dont mean people being afraid to be publicly racist btw before someone jumps on that ... racism is not political its just dickhead behaviour) "

I personally think ‘cancel culture’ is pushing more people back to the centre and beyond into the right of the spectrum. It’s never been polite to talk politics and traditionally British people have always been quite reserved about it, so I believe there’s always been the shy Tory phenomenon. We’re just noticing it now as the left becomes more vocal in their conviction

i think cancel culture has gone too far , its normal and healthy for people to have different views, not everyone can think the exact same way and how dull would the world be if we did

yes there are extreme views at all ends of the spectrum that need to be addressed but open adult conversations would be a much better approach in my opinion

"i think cancel culture has gone too far , its normal and healthy for people to have different views, not everyone can think the exact same way and how dull would the world be if we did

yes there are extreme views at all ends of the spectrum that need to be addressed but open adult conversations would be a much better approach in my opinion "

Absolutely. You cancel people because you don’t agree with them you push them underground and radicalise them. I hear the phrase ‘sunlight is the best disinfectant’ a lot. It’s true. Look at the BNP after Nick Griffin went on question time. They had major support and people went mad with the bbc for letting him on, but he did more to destroy his own party than anyone else ever could.

"i think cancel culture has gone too far , its normal and healthy for people to have different views, not everyone can think the exact same way and how dull would the world be if we did

yes there are extreme views at all ends of the spectrum that need to be addressed but open adult conversations would be a much better approach in my opinion

Absolutely. You cancel people because you don’t agree with them you push them underground and radicalise them. I hear the phrase ‘sunlight is the best disinfectant’ a lot. It’s true. Look at the BNP after Nick Griffin went on question time. They had major support and people went mad with the bbc for letting him on, but he did more to destroy his own party than anyone else ever could. "

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"The other element to consider here is that your average voter is fairly quiet on politics. They have their say in the ballot box and keep it private. That’s a phenomenon that’s stunned pollsters and commentators on a number of referenda and elections now. Social media, academia and the health service have a large Labour presence and they’re fairly vocal in their support. I’ve lost track of how many political discussion groups or even key worker groups I’ve been in that have been completely overran with Labour activists. If I wasn’t a switched on woman and just took a snapshot of those groups and showed you the content, you’d start to believe that Labours was the only legitimate political ideology in the UK. You’d start to question how the Conservatives won so comprehensively. The left, in general, has a younger demographic. They’re more passionate, vocal, tech savvy and socially liberal - they’re not concerned with people knowing their politics. Those in the centre of the spectrum and moving right tend to keep themselves to themselves, hence the name ‘shy tories’

(i dont mean people being afraid to be publicly racist btw before someone jumps on that ... racism is not political its just dickhead behaviour) "

You've clearly not been on some of the social media sites I've been on. Many of the pro-BREXIT sites are extremely hostile if you say anything that's not totally in line with the group view.

(i dont mean people being afraid to be publicly racist btw before someone jumps on that ... racism is not political its just dickhead behaviour)

You've clearly not been on some of the social media sites I've been on. Many of the pro-BREXIT sites are extremely hostile if you say anything that's not totally in line with the group view.

"

This is part of the problem, if you have a view (be it left/right/centre) you will only personally feel the arguments of the opposite side.

So you will probably fail to register that the people you broadly agree with, are just as nasty, and shouty as the opposition.

» Add a new message to this topic