FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Mobile Web App feedback > 1980s web app?

1980s web app?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *m-Batman OP   Man 6 weeks ago

Gotham

Ha, I’m curious and by no means is this a negative comment… genuine question here…

Love Fab, I’m a paid supporter - met and spoken with some great people, and have loved dipping a toe in the scene so far - it’s all great fun, and ticking off my bucket list etc

But, how come the site cosmetics and functionality is like from 1989 dial up internet? Is it by choice? Is it to add to the uniqueness of it? Is it because the site really is that old and it’s just too legacy built to make a switch?

I mean, I’ve been working online since (seriously) 1995 with dial up and love the nostalgic vibe - but I’m honestly wondering if it’s intentional?

Kinda fun though limited to just a dozen MSM style emojis from ICQ - makes you really think about which one to send, if any, with your messages…

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *idden Gem69Woman 6 weeks ago

north lanarkshire

Because its not broke so why try to fix it? Fab works just how it is, people search chat and meet up, have been doing so for years.

By *inkForLifeCouple 6 weeks ago

North Shields

I think the lack of fancy smooth graphics and stupidly overly complicated user interaction is what makes fab so successful, along with its perfect pricing structure.

Gotham

Yeah can’t argue with that. It’s sort of quirky and the quirkiness adds to its appeal and uniqueness.

Like I said, I’m a paid supporter - so I’m not being negative. Was just genuinely curious if it was a conscious decision to make it old school, or, is it an old site that never needed to change since like you said - no need to try to fix what isn’t broken.

By *bi HaiveMan 6 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

I mean....the www wasn't opened to the public til 1993.

But Fab has evolved since 2006. It's not an app and never pretended to be.

It may differ from more modern apps but one thing has remained constant.

People join and use it. And most that have suggested new features and tweeks over time are either still here, or have left to find alternatives that they think meet their needs better. Stay or go is a common question. And one that only individuals can decide the answer to.

It's served me well for the last 16 years though.

Gotham

"I mean....the www wasn't opened to the public til 1993.

But Fab has evolved since 2006. It's not an app and never pretended to be.

It may differ from more modern apps but one thing has remained constant.

People join and use it. And most that have suggested new features and tweeks over time are either still here, or have left to find alternatives that they think meet their needs better. Stay or go is a common question. And one that only individuals can decide the answer to.

It's served me well for the last 16 years though. "

Incredible statistics - that’s some solid domain authority.

I’m enjoying it, will see if I’m still around in another 16 years… probably not with my lifestyle, but heh, you never know!

By *mazonwahayMan 6 weeks ago

Torquay

I would add that there is an issue with times. Someone appears online in search and when you click their profile they went offline 10 mins ago. That's frustrating.

By *rozac_fairyCouple 6 weeks ago

Tamworth

I've always found the old fashioned look of the site quite odd, I think it's abit pre my real internet time for mobile browsing so I'd never really seen sites like this that wasn't in reference to old people.

It'd be great if it was updated to something more modern but I guess 1. It's probably cheaper so whoever is making money from support gets to keep more of it and 2. If it's not broke, why fix?

Some of the other platforms are fantastic how they're set out and the features they come with but they aren't big enough in the UK yet so we stick with fab.

By *agneto.Man 6 weeks ago

Bham

I think it's just like a comfy blanket. If it was updated, it wouldn't feel like fab. I don't know why, but it just feels right.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 6 weeks ago

Central

On threads asking whether users would prefer the current or a revised updated system, most have chosen to keep it as it is. I'm probably in that camp, though it's not an equal choice, as we'd not know the reality of what the new proposal would be.

Most of the change requests are about minor changes to current functionality - adding more options to be able to search on them, when looking for users, for example.

As fab is a free to use site, it does limit the operating costs and upgrades budgets. The owners have expressed interest in it remaining a free site. Most of our comparisons today will be about comparing paid for sites with Fab. They have significantly bigger budgets, so the comparisons aren't really valid, against companies that are motivated by earning maximum money per user.

Fab is almost always available and functioning very well. Probably much more so than many complex for profit sites. We're all used to it being so fully available as well as how to use it.

I prefer to have the larger volume of users that the site being free gives us, compared with far fewer if the site charged. I make do with the tiny gripe that functionality doesn't change much, because overall it works well.

Probably Fab won't alter much, unless a competitor entered and really cut into Fab's market share and users drifted away, at a guess. Fab, I think, is more of a hobby for them, than a craving for big earnings. It probably helps it to remain so fantastic.

By *cottandjayCouple 2 weeks ago

East West North South Yorkshire

I've also thought about this and then thought

Could it be faster to use? - No!

Could it be faster in operation? - No!

Could it be less direct to use? - No!

Could it be more self explanatory? - No!

Is retro cool? - debatable! Yes/No

So with the above in mind I decided that there isn't much you could improve other than make the visuals more cool'r but to the detrement of several of the points above.

The only thing I can think of that I would like adding at the moment is a Sort order pull-down menu on the lists. I.e. if you tap Friends from the main menu - you can tap list/sort by other things other than 'time online'. Things like: time on the site (newest first) or looking to meet today or number of verifications or age etc.

But as the guy said it's a fab site, easy to use and just works! Great job.

By *andy ballsMan 2 weeks ago

Oxfordshire

Has worked well for me in years gone by the only change or addition to sex things up, would be have a search by county.

Search by region is a vast area, the county search would be easy and non expensive to add.

By *leasureseekers123Couple 2 weeks ago

Hythe

"Has worked well for me in years gone by the only change or addition to sex things up, would be have a search by county.

Search by region is a vast area, the county search would be easy and non expensive to add. "

Updating the search option always get asked for and it’s a shame it doesn’t get changed. But then nothing other than adding video clips has really ever changed on here. Changing it to counties would make perfect sense

By *eandmrsjones69Couple 2 weeks ago

Middle England

Agree to a point from the above responses. If people like the retro look and feel that's one thing.

If you've been on the site several years you possibly are nostalgic about it.

From a functional point of view over the years some user requests have been asked for over and over and over again but never implemented. Just one example splitting out TS and TV/CD.

The site has "new" against features implemented over 3, 4, 5yrs ago.

The point being if you stand still eventually you get overtaken.

By *andi_kinkygramTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Edinburgh

The way fab offers a functional website for free is probably a big part of the success.

In regards to the technology, it is possible that whatever technical design decisions that were durings it's creation have made it hard/expensive to adapt - it's pretty good that they managed to create a mobile friendly version. For me it is less the look and feel that is the issue, but the absence of ways to organise/search mail, reorder photos, specify gender of couples ...some aspects feel unfinished.

Cx

By *unchalMan 2 weeks ago

Dartford

"Ha, I’m curious and by no means is this a negative comment… genuine question here…

Love Fab, I’m a paid supporter - met and spoken with some great people, and have loved dipping a toe in the scene so far - it’s all great fun, and ticking off my bucket list etc

But, how come the site cosmetics and functionality is like from 1989 dial up internet? Is it by choice? Is it to add to the uniqueness of it? Is it because the site really is that old and it’s just too legacy built to make a switch?

I mean, I’ve been working online since (seriously) 1995 with dial up and love the nostalgic vibe - but I’m honestly wondering if it’s intentional?

Kinda fun though limited to just a dozen MSM style emojis from ICQ - makes you really think about which one to send, if any, with your messages… "

It’s all early Windows ‘design’ made by programmers with no aesthetic other than does it work. It works fine but I’m with you, it hurts my eyes and my head sometimes. I guess the minimal development explains the very reasonable price, though.

By *bi HaiveMan 2 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Has worked well for me in years gone by the only change or addition to sex things up, would be have a search by county.

Search by region is a vast area, the county search would be easy and non expensive to add. "

My best tip would be to search by distance, rather than think of potentially doing it by county.

Many are on or near the borders of one or more counties. Searching by county would give more limited results than simply using the exiating advanced search option and just filtering by those 20, 30 or more miles away from you.

Of course it relies on the postcode data input by a profile and many want to be vague for discretion and may not use a completely accurate code.

There are tools and filters to make searches easier.

» Add a new message to this topic