FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Old motorbikes

Old motorbikes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi there. I m looking to buy and old motorbike. Preferably between 50 cc and 125 cc. Either honda or yamaha. I would love to have a nsr50 or nsr80 or ysr50 , ysr80 , honda MB50 or MB80. Doesn t have to be in a perfect condition. Does anyone have one for sale?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *asilForty77Man  over a year ago

a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road

I recon you will be lucky to find any on here ebay etc is your best bet I've always liked the old yamaha Rd125 they were fast as fuck back in the day I've got a suzuki DR200 in a lock up need to put the engine back together needed a conrod kit which I now got.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Would a Bantam D7 Super float your boat?

By *am450Man  over a year ago

North Kent/Greater London

Old 125s or smaller (which means probably 80s or 90s bikes) aren't cheap I've wanted an old 125 from the 80s too restore but pretty much everything now goes for silly money. Mint Fizzies £6k rd125lcs £4/5k even saw a Dt50mx for£4k!!! Stoopid money...

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

"Old 125s or smaller (which means probably 80s or 90s bikes) aren't cheap I've wanted an old 125 from the 80s too restore but pretty much everything now goes for silly money. Mint Fizzies £6k rd125lcs £4/5k even saw a Dt50mx for£4k!!! Stoopid money..."

Yes silly money for stuff back in the day you could pick up for peanuts. I paid £50 for my FS1E when I was 14 run it until I was 17 and then got an RD250 for £150 wish I still had them now cannot justify paying the sort of money wanted for one theses days.

By *EXY_PILOTMan  over a year ago

Manchester, North West, UK

Selling 2017 Honda grom with fsh, milegae under 4k

Correct very expensive

Send me a photo

By *kbull2000Man  over a year ago

Carluke

Can't believe the price of old bikes. Too many folks wishing to relive their youth and forgetting the bad points - terrible brakes and electrics, dodgy suspensions and unreliable starts - especially in the rain.

By *kbull2000Man  over a year ago

Carluke

[Removed by poster at 21/09/20 00:40:58]

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

"Can't believe the price of old bikes. Too many folks wishing to relive their youth and forgetting the bad points - terrible brakes and electrics, dodgy suspensions and unreliable starts - especially in the rain."

Maybe some, but my Norton is 44 years old, gets used all year round in all weather. Parts availability is over 95%. Easy to service and quick to fix.

If I was after an old bike an Xl 125, or Cub 90 would what I would be looking for.

I just bought a Norton to work on, 2 year project I reckon

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

"I just bought a Norton to work on, 2 year project I reckon"

I got an old triumph a number of years ago now. It was going to be a two year restoration project but ended up being more of a 5 year on going project, as still working on it after the rebuild engine developed a major problem.

By *aulwmidsMan  over a year ago

Wednesbury

[Removed by poster at 27/09/20 13:05:45]

By *aulwmidsMan  over a year ago

Wednesbury

How old is old?

I have 3 40 year old bikes.

Honda CB650Z owned 35 years.

Honda CX500 owned 10 years

BMW R100RS owned 8 years.

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

For most manufacturers it is anything out of warranty. Try getting parts for modern bikes 5 or 6 years old.

By *reddy96Man  over a year ago

scunthorpe

just bought a GS550 last month to restore and sell on. They some bargins out there if you keep lookin

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

I have a 1975 T140 Bonneville and I love it. Rides well, usually reliable but you have to keep up with the maintenance.

My first bike was a very early cg125 used to run on fresh air and fumes

parts were a doddle to get hold of

You could fix it with a screwdriver and adjustable spanner

Always started first kick whatever the weather

Drums on front and rear were more than enough to slow you to a stop(about 83mph flat out down hill)

Can pick them up for reasonable money still and the early ones are tax and mot exempt now

Only downside to it was crap 6volt lights and a dodgy earth on the rear indicators

"My first bike was a very early cg125 used to run on fresh air and fumes

Drums on front and rear were more than enough to slow you to a stop(about 83mph flat out down hill)

Can pick them up for reasonable money still and the early ones are tax and mot exempt now

Only downside to it was crap 6volt lights and a dodgy earth on the rear indicators"

83mph that would be some hill/mountain, my dad made me a Motorcross bike or of one early 70's like you say bulletproof !

Im lucky to have my mitts on an old fizzy

Only downside to it was crap 6volt lights and a dodgy earth on the rear indicators

83mph that would be some hill/mountain, my dad made me a Motorcross bike or of one early 70's like you say bulletproof !"

It was a very early unrestricted CG with me literally lay flat on the tank

And yes it was a very long hill

83mph that would be some hill/mountain, my dad made me a Motorcross bike or of one early 70's like you say bulletproof !

It was a very early unrestricted CG with me literally lay flat on the tank

And yes it was a very long hill

"

no chance 65 maybe maybe 70 max is only 12 bhp why would the make the 175 and 200cc bikes if the 125 was faster

That's what the Speedo was reading

I was downhill streamlined

They were unrisricted in the 70s when they were first on sale

Mine was one of the first in the country

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

Picked up a 1979 Suzuki ts125 today

Non runner

That sounds fun! Have you got a photo

By *illybobb2017Man  over a year ago

Halifax

Being an older biker my first was a Bantam , then Tiger Cub . Mz250 then back to British with a Goldstar 500 . Still got it . Day bike. Is KLE 500 . Loads of fun .

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

I picked up an 84 DT125LC for £50 two years ago. Said it was a field bike went to see it & all the bits he’d took off he’d kept in Boxes including the number plate/ v5 & only showing 11k miles had a couple of bits missing that took an age to find. I’m up to about £850 & only short of someone to paint the tank now & slowly getting a full restore as & when I can.

S

By *EXY_PILOTMan  over a year ago

Manchester, North West, UK

Only downside to it was crap 6volt lights and a dodgy earth on the rear indicators"

My first biking experience was on the cg125, the workhorse in the developing world. Love it

My first biking experience was on the cg125, the workhorse in the developing world. Love it "

Designed to be run on the crapist fuel with little to no maintenance

By people who would ride them like they hated it

No wonder there are so many of them still going strong

"Being an older biker my first was a Bantam , then Tiger Cub . Mz250 then back to British with a Goldstar 500 . Still got it . Day bike. Is KLE 500 . Loads of fun . "
brought up around British bikes my first proper scrambler my dad made out of a tiger cub, loved that bike and with an upswept pipe it sounded amazing

By *ikerdude2017Man  over a year ago

Retford

I had that dream of oooh let's build a motorbike. So 5 years ago!!! I brought a Suzuki GS550 79. Cut a long story short. Finally after lots of pain and having to get someone finish it off last year. I'm going to see if it will run tomorrow. So I'm praying to who Eva I've had so much bad luck with it I need a miracle. Wish me luck.

I love older bikes.

Actually use to have little rides on my old man's BSAs going back a good number of years now. Although a challenge to keep them up-together they were great & I miss the fun. I'm not into riding all weathers or fast as hell belters, I prefer the old, the vintage, classic styles, the fun of riding them, the smell & the feel. Mind you I do & can appreciate others too!

Have often considered buying one for myself but fast approaching 60yrs & with just a car driving licence I have my hesitations. After all there's the expense, the time it'll probably take me & the recent health challenges that make me wonder if I should???

Feel free to comment & if you have any information towards leading me forward & knocking an item off my bucket list then please do say.

Happy riding everyone, stay well & stay safe.

By *lutandhubbyCouple  over a year ago

west midlands

hubby has just finished restoring a 40 year old Kawasaki z650. i,m looking for a z900 or z1000 for his birthday. x

I've been looking around for a Honda Cb100, nothing particularly memorable about the speed or styling but its the bike I passed both my tests on.

Nostalgia i guess

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"I love older bikes.

Actually use to have little rides on my old man's BSAs going back a good number of years now. Although a challenge to keep them up-together they were great & I miss the fun. I'm not into riding all weathers or fast as hell belters, I prefer the old, the vintage, classic styles, the fun of riding them, the smell & the feel. Mind you I do & can appreciate others too!

Have often considered buying one for myself but fast approaching 60yrs & with just a car driving licence I have my hesitations. After all there's the expense, the time it'll probably take me & the recent health challenges that make me wonder if I should???

Feel free to comment & if you have any information towards leading me forward & knocking an item off my bucket list then please do say.

Happy riding everyone, stay well & stay safe.

"

Quote 'never to old' I would say if your health issues wouldn't impose on you getting through your bike test just go for it as it will be another experience in life. Go through the process and have the opinion if you pass you do if you dont you have done it and maybe even try again but enjoy the ride (pun not intended)

You could always go looking for that dream bike while you are going through the process of passing your test. All will be an enjoyable thing to do.

As for the time it will take you, we all make time for the things we enjoy and it always helps with stress doing things we enjoy. Go for it

"I just bought a Norton to work on, 2 year project I reckon

I got an old triumph a number of years ago now. It was going to be a two year restoration project but ended up being more of a 5 year on going project, as still working on it after the rebuild engine developed a major problem. "

in at least 50% of the way through my BSA project, started it at Christmas, will be on the road in May will do a few little but costly jobs like new rims and tank respray next autumn when I stop riffing it for the winter, then start on the Norton!

dad made me a motocross bike out of a CG125, sounded amazing just like the big boys BSA's and CCM's

"hubby has just finished restoring a 40 year old Kawasaki z650. i,m looking for a z900 or z1000 for his birthday. x "

I had a couple of Z650's in my youth, great bikes, bullet proof, my friend had a Z900 in the green, gorgeous bike, I have seen a z900 recently for sale at a reasonable price, and was tempted myself but to many projects already with the BSA and Norton lol

Give Lee Johnston or James whitham a message they have a few gag bikes

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Good luck on this.

Just looked at an old bike I always wanted, the asking price is silly. A Suzuki RG500 on Ebay for £11,000

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Someone asked me take over their 59 Norton Dommie restoration the other day, my response was I only have metric adjustables & hammers

I put him on to a mate that does old Brits though

S

By *ovespudsMan  over a year ago

Swindon

Still riding my 1988 Honda CBR1000Fj. Bought in 1989 at 6 months old for £3600. Never let me down & gonna take her to my grave, lol. First bike was a Honda CJ250T, then a CX500.

62 this year and still love my biking.

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

"Give Lee Johnston or James whitham a message they have a few gag bikes"

Jamie whittam is selling an old Yamaha dt175 twin shock at minute

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"I had that dream of oooh let's build a motorbike. So 5 years ago!!! I brought a Suzuki GS550 79. Cut a long story short. Finally after lots of pain and having to get someone finish it off last year. I'm going to see if it will run tomorrow. So I'm praying to who Eva I've had so much bad luck with it I need a miracle. Wish me luck. "

you'll be fine ... they were the second most bomb proof bike ever built

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

Full ground up rebuild crank ,big,little ends piston rings Restored 79 x7 here,cross my palms with lots of silver

By *teffenMan  over a year ago

Bath

[Removed by poster at 19/03/21 20:06:19]

Just rebuilding a 650 Beeza, hoping to have it on the road for summer

By *ikerdude2017Man  over a year ago

Retford

I have a Suzuki GS550 bobber 1979

I'm looking to sell. Looks good had lots of work done on it. hard tail frame redone and powercoated. Complete rewire in carbs and enginee rebuild. Not running at moment probably due to bad fuel sat over winter. selling for £2100 ovno. MOT till December

By *artyanna16200TV/TS  over a year ago

leeds

Get an mz , 125 , as original as you can , simple mfunband unburstable

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

Why don't you buy a Royal Enfield 350cc?

I had a 1983 Honda vf400f it took me some time to restore I had just got it finished running nice . next doors shed went up in smoke that set my shed on fire its gone now .loved that bike

By *ohnThomas1Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I have an R 1150rt BMW 2002 36k for sale, shaft driven and always reliable, recent MOT and service completed. Nothing knowingly wrong with it.

I have thought about that. I have 2 big engine bikes its just nostalgic from the 80s

'93 FJ1200 with 96 thou on the clock, just about run in really.

'96 Ducati ST2 62 thou on the clock.

Bar the odd niggly leccy issue, it has been totally reliable.

By *uffymayfairCouple  over a year ago

Almeria

I've been looking for a bike over here in Southern Spain and the prices of newer bikes are astronomical however there's a lot of 80s/90s bikes for sale and bloody cheap compared to UK prices , saw an rd80lc for €800 and it was all there and running. 1982 Yamaha xj650 really good condition for €2800. 1981 Kawasaki Z750 €3000. Trouble is now with Brexit importing into the UK is more expensive.

I currently have an '89 yamaha fzr400 3en1 that i restored.. 500km up since getting it back on the road..

» Add a new message to this topic