FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > cyclist kills pensioner, no charge?

cyclist kills pensioner, no charge?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man 4 weeks ago

in the sticks

browsing the sunday papers i came along this article about a cyclist who killed a pensioner through speeding but wasnt charged due to cyclists exempt from speeding laws ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13383281/Speeding-cyclist-crashed-killed-pensioner-81-racing-29mph-20mph-zone-avoids-prosecution-speed-limits-dont-apply-bicycles-court-hears.html

obviously rip to the woman killed, but surely the law needs to be updated?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 4 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Yes..

By *irldnCouple 4 weeks ago

Brighton

100% yes. Manslaughter should apply or a new crime of death by recklessness.

Some cyclists are complete twats.

By *otMe66Man 4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Cycling is another example of laws not keeping up with changing situations, not only that but it seems the laws that are in place are often ignored by cyclists.

By *urreyfun38Couple 4 weeks ago

croydon

"browsing the sunday papers i came along this article about a cyclist who killed a pensioner through speeding but wasnt charged due to cyclists exempt from speeding laws ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13383281/Speeding-cyclist-crashed-killed-pensioner-81-racing-29mph-20mph-zone-avoids-prosecution-speed-limits-dont-apply-bicycles-court-hears.html

obviously rip to the woman killed, but surely the law needs to be updated?"

Was there more to this as I remember a cyclist being charged in London after hitting a pedestrian

By *9alMan 4 weeks ago

Bridgend

"browsing the sunday papers i came along this article about a cyclist who killed a pensioner through speeding but wasnt charged due to cyclists exempt from speeding laws ...

Was there more to this as I remember a cyclist being charged in London after hitting a pedestrian "

I remember that, it often seems that the police & cps are very inconsistent pursuing some cases with tremendous zeal & giving up on others without really trying

By *AFKA HovisMan 4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Was there more to this as I remember a cyclist being charged in London after hitting a pedestrian

I remember that, it often seems that the police & cps are very inconsistent pursuing some cases with tremendous zeal & giving up on others without really trying "

the law let's us down here for sure. The cps can only go for what they think they will win. I suspect the circumstances are different. That other guy had no front brakes etc.

Deffo a law we need to look at.

By *amdenfunMan 4 weeks ago

London

This is a better account: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cyclist-avoids-conviction-fatal-crash-dog-walker-regents-park-b1155776.html

Confirms speed limits don’t apply but cyclists can be prosecuted for dangerous cycling. In this case, the evidence suggested it wasn’t his fault. As a director at Credit Suisse, he probably had good lawyers.

Does this mean speed limits should apply to cyclists? But that’s one of few places in London you can probably train, so it would be an unfortunate conclusion, given 1 person dies from a collision with a cyclist every few years. How many people are killed by car drivers?

croydon

"This is a better account: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cyclist-avoids-conviction-fatal-crash-dog-walker-regents-park-b1155776.html

Confirms speed limits don’t apply but cyclists can be prosecuted for dangerous cycling. In this case, the evidence suggested it wasn’t his fault. As a director at Credit Suisse, he probably had good lawyers.

Does this mean speed limits should apply to cyclists? But that’s one of few places in London you can probably train, so it would be an unfortunate conclusion, given 1 person dies from a collision with a cyclist every few years. How many people are killed by car drivers? "

Probably was his fault as he was doing timed laps of a public park.Estmated speed at impact 29mph.Ergo speeding and not paying attention.

But also she passed 59 days after the accident.

So would of been hard to get a conviction.But should of been charged and let a jury decide.

in the sticks

Call me sceptical, but considering his job position do get a bit suspicious as most likely funny handshaking brigade, if it was Tom Smith on his way to work?

Should manslaughter be a charge? Until the law is brought up to date, then yes.

Could be another example why everyone on the road needs insurance, registration etc

London

"This is a better account: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cyclist-avoids-conviction-fatal-crash-dog-walker-regents-park-b1155776.html

Does this mean speed limits should apply to cyclists? But that’s one of few places in London you can probably train, so it would be an unfortunate conclusion, given 1 person dies from a collision with a cyclist every few years. How many people are killed by car drivers?

Probably was his fault as he was doing timed laps of a public park.Estmated speed at impact 29mph.Ergo speeding and not paying attention.

So would of been hard to get a conviction.But should of been charged and let a jury decide."

I don’t think that follows - the evidence was that she stepped out and there was nothing he could do. And his estimated speed at impact wasn’t 29mph (according to that Evening Standard article) - that was the maximum speed he reached. Which is less than the speed limit on many urban roads.

If cars are allowed to go that fast on many roads, surely cyclists should - they’re far less likely to cause serious injury due to their relative weight.

Of course every unnecessary death is a tragedy. The issue should be considered. But it’s far from obvious that this guy was uni the wrong. It’s also far from obvious that cyclists in Richmond Park should be limited to 20mph. My guess would be that a cyclist at 30 is no more dangerous than a driver at 20. Perhaps revised signage could help.

I just wish there was somewhere like Richmond Park up in North London.

By *arleyfatboy2019Couple 4 weeks ago

Devon

There used to be an offence of wanton and furious cycling.

By *ellhungvweMan 4 weeks ago

Cheltenham

So would of been hard to get a conviction.But should of been charged and let a jury decide."

29 miles an hour on a path shared with pedestrians - that is absolutely mental. I don’t understand how you can get away with that - the Highway Code is very clear that (a) all road users need to be mindful of their surroundings and (b) there is a hierarchy of users - cyclists are below pedestrians in that hierarchy. What would have been the outcome if a child had stepped out - which is more than reasonable in a park?

I appreciate cyclists in London have a crap time but using a public park for high speed training seems very wrong.

croydon

So would of been hard to get a conviction.But should of been charged and let a jury decide.

I don’t think that follows - the evidence was that she stepped out and there was nothing he could do. And his estimated speed at impact wasn’t 29mph (according to that Evening Standard article) - that was the maximum speed he reached. Which is less than the speed limit on many urban roads.

If cars are allowed to go that fast on many roads, surely cyclists should - they’re far less likely to cause serious injury due to their relative weight.

Of course every unnecessary death is a tragedy. The issue should be considered. But it’s far from obvious that this guy was uni the wrong. It’s also far from obvious that cyclists in Richmond Park should be limited to 20mph. My guess would be that a cyclist at 30 is no more dangerous than a driver at 20. Perhaps revised signage could help.

I just wish there was somewhere like Richmond Park up in North London. "

That’s why he should have been charged and let a jury decide.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 4 weeks ago

Eastbourne

29 miles an hour on a path shared with pedestrians - that is absolutely mental. I don’t understand how you can get away with that - the Highway Code is very clear that (a) all road users need to be mindful of their surroundings and (b) there is a hierarchy of users - cyclists are below pedestrians in that hierarchy. What would have been the outcome if a child had stepped out - which is more than reasonable in a park?

I appreciate cyclists in London have a crap time but using a public park for high speed training seems very wrong."

How can he tell how fast he is going?

London

I appreciate cyclists in London have a crap time but using a public park for high speed training seems very wrong."

it was a road! It’s not a shared space. Drivers going aat 20mph in a shared space would be really dangerous. She stepped out into the road. He didn’t see her. A a few hundred pedestrians die each year by being hit by cars. Should we ban cars? Probably should, especially as the pollution kills even more. Will we? Of course not.

croydon

I appreciate cyclists in London have a crap time but using a public park for high speed training seems very wrong.

it was a road! It’s not a shared space. Drivers going aat 20mph in a shared space would be really dangerous. She stepped out into the road. He didn’t see her. A a few hundred pedestrians die each year by being hit by cars. Should we ban cars? Probably should, especially as the pollution kills even more. Will we? Of course not. "

And why didn’t he see her. Answer head down peddling like a monster. Not paying attention to his surroundings. Had he been cycling sensibly he may have avoided hitting her.

He was in a park where people are about and as such people do stupid things like stepping in the road without looking.

By *tleystagMan 4 weeks ago

ilkley

Unfortunately there are some people who ride bikes irresponsibley. That is also true for cars, busses, lorries.

A twat is a twat, irrespective of their chosen mode of transport.

By *rozac_fairyCouple 4 weeks ago

Tamworth

Didn't she step into the road? Not that I'm victim blaming here but it is an important factor when considering the roles and responsibilities of both sides.

I mean, we don't move towards conviction for every driver who hits a person because they stepped into the road so I'm not sure doing it with cyclists will garnish results.

Perhaps a jury would be a good idea.. I'd very much sit in not guilty personally.

London

it was a road! It’s not a shared space. Drivers going aat 20mph in a shared space would be really dangerous. She stepped out into the road. He didn’t see her. A a few hundred pedestrians die each year by being hit by cars. Should we ban cars? Probably should, especially as the pollution kills even more. Will we? Of course not.

And why didn’t he see her. Answer head down peddling like a monster. Not paying attention to his surroundings. Had he been cycling sensibly he may have avoided hitting her.

He was in a park where people are about and as such people do stupid things like stepping in the road without looking.

"

I don’t know for certain that he’s innocent - but doesn’t this approach scream of prejudice?

Why didn’t he see her? Couldn’t possibly be any reason other than that he was cycling like a maniac!

London

Yes, he was in a park. Where people walk around. But this is a public road, like many other roads in parks. It’s not a footpath.

The speed limit of 20mph applies to cars, but not to cyclists. There are arguments for and against that, but is he automatically in the wrong for not setting a higher standard for himself?

Clearly after an accident like this the authorities should assess the situation.

But for the good of society as a whole, cycling should be encouraged. Richmond Park is a great place to train. It would be a shame if cycling fast on the road wasn’t allowed.

And my gut feeling is that he was probably not at fault, though I accept I do have some bias here.

By *atEvolutionCouple 4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

And now the reverse is true . . .

https://news.sky.com/story/auriol-grey-woman-who-caused-cyclist-to-fall-into-road-has-manslaughter-conviction-overturned-13131427

London

"And now the reverse is true . . .

https://news.sky.com/story/auriol-grey-woman-who-caused-cyclist-to-fall-into-road-has-manslaughter-conviction-overturned-13131427

"

An interesting and sad case.

By *ools and the brainCouple 4 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

It's no excuse and it's certainly not going to make it better for the victims and their families but thankfully cases like this a pretty rare in relation to cyclists killed by car's unfortunately people don't seem to raise an eyebrow then.

But better education of cyclists is a good start and reintroduce cycling proficiency at primary school level teaching road sense and safe cycling.

There's always going to be some asshole flouting the law regardless of mode of transport.

What we actually need is more police on the streets higher visibility and not just concentrating on money generating speed cameras.

The law should be the law regardless and using the public highways and by ways in a reckless and dangerous manner should result in a prosecution online with the offence.

croydon

I don’t know for certain that he’s innocent - but doesn’t this approach scream of prejudice?

Why didn’t he see her? Couldn’t possibly be any reason other than that he was cycling like a maniac!"

The fact that he was doing timed laps points to the fact he was probably riding too fast. How else would you be riding doing timed laps

Which goes back to my point of he should have been prosecuted and a jury decide if it was an unfortunate accident or not.

By *r appyMan 4 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

Probably her fault stepping into the road without looking?

in the sticks

reading the mail, a follow up article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13405393/The-speed-limit-Regents-Park-20-Cars-obey-clocked-cyclists-32-elderly-woman-died-having-hit-speeding-bike-just-proof-one-rule-lycra-louts.html

Senior Conservative politician Sir Iain Duncan Smith has since tabled an amendment to the Criminal Justice Bill which could pave the way for tougher, clearer legislation for cyclists. He believes the 1861 legislation is no longer fit for purpose. Speaking to the Mail, Sir Iain made it very clear that the point of his 'common sense' intervention was that 'the law should apply to cyclists, too'.

Asked why progress on this matter had been so slow — despite an attempt to legislate by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps in 2022 — he said: 'I believe the cyclist lobby may well have something to do with it.'

By *andsome_MeeeMan 4 weeks ago

London

If this makes you angry just wait until you find out how many hit-and-runs by motor vehicles occur on a daily basis...

No such thing as "cyclist lobby".

By *astandFeistyCouple 4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"If this makes you angry just wait until you find out how many hit-and-runs by motor vehicles occur on a daily basis...

No such thing as "cyclist lobby"."

There are laws protecting pedestrians from hit and runs from motor vehicles. That's the whole point, the law for cyclists isn't fit for today's society.

in the sticks

"If this makes you angry just wait until you find out how many hit-and-runs by motor vehicles occur on a daily basis...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/03/25/sadiq-khans-cycling-tsar-punched-cyclist-defending-highway-code/

By *AFKA HovisMan 4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"reading the mail, a follow up article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13405393/The-speed-limit-Regents-Park-20-Cars-obey-clocked-cyclists-32-elderly-woman-died-having-hit-speeding-bike-just-proof-one-rule-lycra-louts.html

Senior Conservative politician Sir Iain Duncan Smith has since tabled an amendment to the Criminal Justice Bill which could pave the way for tougher, clearer legislation for cyclists. He believes the 1861 legislation is no longer fit for purpose. Speaking to the Mail, Sir Iain made it very clear that the point of his 'common sense' intervention was that 'the law should apply to cyclists, too'.

Asked why progress on this matter had been so slow — despite an attempt to legislate by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps in 2022 — he said: 'I believe the cyclist lobby may well have something to do with it.'"

the lefty cycling blob.

But seriously, this feels like a self own. We can't pass laws with our massive majority because of the power of the lobbying groups. Even the ones in lycra and minimal money scare the shit out of us.

in the sticks

Amazing if you Google cyclist lobby and what comes up, then the financial implications

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/02/25/businesses-inside-london-ltn-scheme-say-cycle-lobby-group-did/

By *otMe66Man 4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Au contraire mon frère!

Jeremy Vine is the fighting for a shot at leadership

By *erlins5Man 4 weeks ago

South Fife

"Cycling is another example of laws not keeping up with changing situations, not only that but it seems the laws that are in place are often ignored by cyclists."

The laws in place in general are often ignored by a cross section of society.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Central

Unless the public is open to investing public money into monitoring and control measures for more transport types, coupled with possibly new laws for a wider group of transport options, it's probably going to continue like this.

By *otMe66Man 3 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"Unless the public is open to investing public money into monitoring and control measures for more transport types, coupled with possibly new laws for a wider group of transport options, it's probably going to continue like this. "

I agree, but there is also a a question of people and their self entitlement issues, how do we address those?

Purchasing a 20K race bike doesn't give the person riding it the right to treat the shared infrastructure as their private tour de France sprint stage.

By *ustintime69Man 3 weeks ago

Bristol

As a cyclist I have to say that it’s not a black and white issue ever. I cycle nearly every day around the downs in Bristol and it’s a regular occurrence for runners, dog walkers, humans in general to step out in front of me, not to mention the drivers who overtake either dangerously close to me or at twice the speed limit so I’m extremely aware of how dangerous it can be riding through a green space. My sympathies lie both with the family of the lady who died and also the cyclist who killed her because I am sure the responsibility of causing her death has been pretty devastating for his life too

By *amdenfunMan 3 weeks ago

London

"As a cyclist I have to say that it’s not a black and white issue ever. I cycle nearly every day around the downs in Bristol and it’s a regular occurrence for runners, dog walkers, humans in general to step out in front of me, not to mention the drivers who overtake either dangerously close to me or at twice the speed limit so I’m extremely aware of how dangerous it can be riding through a green space. My sympathies lie both with the family of the lady who died and also the cyclist who killed her because I am sure the responsibility of causing her death has been pretty devastating for his life too"

By *ust RachelTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Eastbourne

"Unless the public is open to investing public money into monitoring and control measures for more transport types, coupled with possibly new laws for a wider group of transport options, it's probably going to continue like this.

I agree, but there is also a a question of people and their self entitlement issues, how do we address those?

Purchasing a 20K race bike doesn't give the person riding it the right to treat the shared infrastructure as their private tour de France sprint stage.

"

Yet it seems to be ok to drive a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, van, in a manner that contravenes the road traffic act. Yet, I don't hear a lot about what to do with them?

Tour de France stage, you do know that we have the Tour of Britain now. Why not call it a Tour of Britain sprint stage instead.

By *accar305Man 3 weeks ago

Bristol/Oxford

Of course all these bicycles, whether children’s or adult size, would have to have speedometers fitted if any speed limits were to be applied to them….

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 14/05/24 07:03:12]

Terra Firma

"Unless the public is open to investing public money into monitoring and control measures for more transport types, coupled with possibly new laws for a wider group of transport options, it's probably going to continue like this.

Yet it seems to be ok to drive a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, van, in a manner that contravenes the road traffic act. Yet, I don't hear a lot about what to do with them?

Tour de France stage, you do know that we have the Tour of Britain now. Why not call it a Tour of Britain sprint stage instead. "

You do know we are talking about cyclists?

The motorists who driving recklessly, speeding etc have laws that can fine and if serious enough send them to prison, whereas self entitled cyclists don't appear to have the same level of restriction placed upon them, which is the actual point of the thread.

As for what bike race I refer to, that is for me to decide.

Most people would recognise Tour De France, so why would I mention a tour barely known about outside the MAMIL population

By *ldbutrandyMan 3 weeks ago

Walsall

The problem is only going to multiply soon. Most people aren't able to cycle at 30 mph, but could do so with an electric bicycle.

Lots are de-regulated to achieve this speed . No test to pass, mot , tax, insurance needed. Heavier and faster than a road bike. See the growing problem here ?

By *apybarasCouple 3 weeks ago

Harwich

"The problem is only going to multiply soon. Most people aren't able to cycle at 30 mph, but could do so with an electric bicycle.

Lots are de-regulated to achieve this speed . No test to pass, mot , tax, insurance needed. Heavier and faster than a road bike. See the growing problem here ?

"

But as you point out, many of these electric bikes are illegal already, being overpowered for what is allowed.

It's pointless discussing new laws etc. when the current ones are not enforced.

It all circles back to funding for Police, local councils (sufficient signage, infrastructure) etc. Until we fix this problem, then passing new laws have little effect, apart from the performative "look we are doing something" aspect.

But even then, there are more important services starved of cash, so don't hold your breath.

Eastbourne

Tour de France stage, you do know that we have the Tour of Britain now. Why not call it a Tour of Britain sprint stage instead.

The motorists who driving recklessly, speeding etc have laws that can fine and if serious enough send them to prison, whereas self entitled cyclists don't appear to have the same level of restriction placed upon them, which is the actual point of the thread.

Most people would recognise Tour De France, so why would I mention a tour barely known about outside the MAMIL population

"

I remember as a kid going to Southport for the start of the Team Time trial stage of the Milk Race. Just because a local rider was in the race.

You missed out that race as well.

By *orses and PoniesMan 3 weeks ago

Ealing

obviously rip to the woman killed, but surely the law needs to be updated?"

. All cyclists should be complelled to do a test. have insurance and held accountable for their actions .

The closest I ever came to having a serious accident was with a cyclist. I was at a zebra crossing ,all the traffic stopped and I did not want to hold up all the motorists who obeyed the law despite a cyclist pedalling furiously in the background . I started to cross and the cyclist nearly wiped me out. He nearly went over the handlebars when he suddenly braked as he nearly hit me. Some cyclists are unfit to be on the road.

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 15/05/24 06:46:46]

Terra Firma

I remember as a kid going to Southport for the start of the Team Time trial stage of the Milk Race. Just because a local rider was in the race.

You missed out that race as well."

I missed out all the imaginary races the MAMIL has going on in their heads as they recklessly ride around the parks and shared infrastructures

Eastbourne

You missed out that race as well.

I missed out all the imaginary races the MAMIL has going on in their heads as they recklessly ride around the parks and shared infrastructures "

It might be an imaginery race to you, I am sure he will be chasing a lap time on Strava or some other exercise tracking app.

By *usybee73 OP   Man 3 weeks ago

in the sticks

Looks like changes in the law are apparent...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-69016715

Terra Firma

"Looks like changes in the law are apparent...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-69016715"

Excellent news and I do hope it becomes law, the entitlement from some people who own a bike and an app as shown in this thread needs policing! It genuinely feels as the few are spoiling it for the many as per...

By *ild_oatsMan 3 weeks ago

the land of saints & sinners

The Milk Race is the Tour of Britain - only known as the Milk Race as it was sponsored by the Milk Marketing Board.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 weeks ago

Gilfach

"Tour de France stage, you do know that we have the Tour of Britain now. Why not call it a Tour of Britain sprint stage instead."

"Most people would recognise Tour De France, so why would I mention a tour barely known about outside the MAMIL population"

"I remember as a kid going to Southport for the start of the Team Time trial stage of the Milk Race. Just because a local rider was in the race.

"The Milk Race is the Tour of Britain - only known as the Milk Race as it was sponsored by the Milk Marketing Board."

We would appear to have demonstrated that the Tour of Britain isn't a very well known race. Perhaps that's the reason the original poster used Tour de France, since that's a rather better known race.

» Add a new message to this topic